Authoritarianism on the left? Yep. Who knew?

1,474 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mormad
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/psychological-dimensions-left-wing-authoritarianism/620185/
mrcpack17
Interesting read.

Reminded me of a college prof I had at state that described the political spectrum not so much as linear with opposite ends but more circular. In that the extremes end up wrapping on each other and you end up with belief overlap. Sort of like how some libertarians and progressives actually share some views on social/individual freedoms, despite being classed as the far direction of their respective left/right lean.

So the fact that authoritarians exist on both fringes isn't surprising. I think what's surprising is how much say the fringes have (on both sides). I suppose that's a combination of squeaky wheel and the 2 party system but man, it doesn't feel like I've had anyone to vote for in quite some time.
GuerrillaPack
Yeah...who could have ever imagined that a political movement that is ideologically rooted in Marxism could have a totalitarian, tyrannical agenda??

When the far Left-wing propaganda rag The Atlantic is saying this, it can only be because the totalitarian agenda is so blatantly obvious...that even everyday Democrat voters are pushing back and saying "hey these government actions are going too far, and are repressive/authoritarian". So even Leftist propaganda outlets are forced to address the obvious...even when they don't actually oppose the tyrannical actions of the Leftist government. They are just being forced to address it because it is a reality that can't be denied.

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
caryking
GuerrillaPack said:

Yeah...who could have ever imagined that a political movement that is ideologically rooted in Marxism could have a totalitarian, tyrannical agenda??

When the far Left-wing propaganda rag The Atlantic is saying this, it can only be because the totalitarian agenda is so blatantly obvious...that even everyday Democrat voters are pushing back and saying "hey these government actions are going too far, and are repressive/authoritarian". So even Leftist propaganda outlets are forced to address the obvious...even when they don't actually oppose the tyrannical actions of the Leftist government. They are just being forced to address it because it is a reality that can't be denied.

Bingo!!
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
Mormad
GuerrillaPack said:

I waited for your response. Bravo, sir.
ciscopack
GuerrillaPack said:

***** the left! ***** the right! (I used PH and it grabbed the reply)
BBW12OG
But...but...but....at least they don't "tweet mean things" and "hurt the precious little feewlings" of people like the ones on here.... and you know damn well who I'm referring to!

Clowns like that follow blindly anything they can to make themselves look good and boost their egos. Surprised a few of them haven't had to have shoulder surgery from patting themselves on their own backs most of the day!!!
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
griff17matt
Quote:

In the U.S., though, Costello hypothesizes that right-wing authoritarians outnumber left-wing ones by roughly three to one.

Lol I HIGHLY doubt this is accurate. There are certainly more right wing authoritarian than left but it's not 3:1 and I'd wager most of that is because it's very, very difficult to pin down what left wing authoritarianism actually boils down to. I'd wager it's the other side of the coin to the right wing counterpart.

Maybe it's LW beliefism vs RW racism? It's essentially the same. Group beliefs vs group characteristics. It's just as ugly and pernicious, but one is vilified and the other is exhalted by media and corporations that wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. We can point to RW racism and obviously call out that it's wrong because everyone knows it. Not everyone can point to shouting down, firing, and ruining those that disagree with basic societal premises like boys and girls are different, for instance. You can't look at that silencing and say, ah authoritarianism there it is. Because if you do, it's the gulag for you. I don't blame people for not speaking up if that is your most likely outcome.

It is insidious and, honestly, universities are to blame for where we are today. I'm not sure I want any of my kids to go there and be indoctrinated, regardless of the monetary loss for them long term.
TheStorm
Who was burning down cities for most of 2020?

Hint: It wasn't the conservatives. (End of discussion. Just more "cooked" numbers)
BBW12OG
TheStorm said:

Who was burning down cities for most of 2020?

Hint: It wasn't the conservatives. (End of discussion. Just more "cooked" numbers)
They were seeking equity.... you know that right? Plus President Trump was tweeting "mean things" and hurting people's "feewlings.."

How could you not burn down buildings, loot, steal, destroy people's livelihoods in the name of justice? Some clowns on here voted for Sleepy Joe. Some clowns on here won't condemn people who support Hamas and their desire to eradicate Israel.

You and I along with many others do not think like the lefty MARXIST/COMMUNIST supporters on this site as well as many other sites. They only care about power and pushing their radical agendas. Anyone that disagrees is an unintelligent, racist, misogynist, neanderthal thinking, religious zealot gun nut that should know their roles in life and bow to their "supreme intelligence" and "forward thinking.."

They all can go pound sand. Each and every damn one of them. Especially the ones that love to tell you how much they contribute to society... Clowns.

Let's Go Brandon!!!!!
Big Bad Wolf. OG...2002

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
- Thomas Jefferson
bigeric
mrcpack17 said:

I suppose that's a combination of squeaky wheel and the 2 party system but man, it doesn't feel like I've had anyone to vote for in quite some time.
I've had a few to vote against lately.
Mormad
Yup
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.