Alternative to Spectrum/cable?

2,301 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by caryking
Craddock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have a recommendation?
My only real intrests are Wolfpack and the Bravesmaybe the NFL. Movies are nice but no big deal.
Thank you to anyone who can help.
FlossyDFlynt
YouTubeTV. Ditched Uverse two years ago and haven't looked back. Only issue is they don't carry Ballys, but there are ways around that
caryking
FlossyDFlynt said:

YouTubeTV. Ditched Uverse two years ago and haven't looked back. Only issue is they don't carry Ballys, but there are ways around that

Bally's is supposed to be coming out with a subscription app for Roku, etc. Until then, I'm stuck with Spectrum
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
FlossyDFlynt
Yea, im not paying for their stand alone app, especially if it's at the 23 dollars a month price that was going around a while ago. I'll stick to my current methods
caryking
FlossyDFlynt said:

Yea, im not paying for their stand alone app, especially if it's at the 23 dollars a month price that was going around a while ago. I'll stick to my current methods

Agree, I'll pass

Joe Biden
jkpackfan
I've been using YouTube tv for almost 3 yrs and love it.
Sierrawolf
YouTube TV for 2 years and no complaints.
packgrad
Another vote for YTTV. I tried Hulu, ATT TV, and something else as well. YTTV was the clear winner. Really wish I had Bally Sports though. Will probably get app next year.
RunsWithWolves26
I was going to go with YTTV but with the price I creas they had last year, I couldn't justify it. I have internet with spectrum and discovery plus and stream everything I need.
hokiewolf
Think I'm going to kick the tires on YTTV, was looking at Sling but for the life of me I can't figure out an apple to apples comparison between the two because Sling has so many different add options.
bgr3
Another vote for YTTV
metcalfmafia
hokiewolf said:

Think I'm going to kick the tires on YTTV, was looking at Sling but for the life of me I can't figure out an apple to apples comparison between the two because Sling has so many different add options.
Pay extra for YTTV. It's very much worth it.
barnburner
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I was going to go with YTTV but with the price I creas they had last year, I couldn't justify it. I have internet with spectrum and discovery plus and stream everything I need.
You mention Discovery+ ... what do you get on that service sports wise?
RunsWithWolves26
burnbarn said:

RunsWithWolves26 said:

You mention Discovery+ ... what do you get on that service sports wise?

Nothing sports wise honestly. You get history, discovery, HGTV, tlc, etc but no sports. I just use my parents DirecTV account for sports access through ESPN.
Packchem91
YTTV. They have different packages at price points where you can suit your needs.

I have tried ATT and Hulu Live TV (For network TV channels, etc) a couple of times just to be able to watch NC State games that weren't on channels supported by YTTV.

What is nice is you can buy a channel for a weekend to do that, then get rid of it...not long-term commits.

The one gotcha, as others have suggested is Ballys, if you are Braves, Hornets, Canes fan. I'd be willing to buy that channel....but if the $23 / month prices is applicable...I'll pass.

packofwolves
Anyone know how much content is available in HD on YTTV? And for content available in HD, is it 1080P?
FlossyDFlynt
Fairly certain all of it is.

They did just start offering 4k for certain channels, but its like 20 bucks a month on top of everything. Until sports comes in 4k, its gonna be a pass from me
packofwolves
Found the following under YouTube help. Non-HD movies and sports is not an option for me:

"Watch movies & TV shows in HD or 4K
All of YouTube's movies and TV shows are available in standard definition (SD). We offer some titles in high definition (HD) or 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD). Our Studio licensing agreements say whether HD or UHD playback is available on a device. We're working hard to expand our offering of HD and UHD titles across your favorite devices."
metcalfmafia
Watching sporting events in 4k on YTTV has been cool too, but it's expensive at an added 20 bucks/month.
packofwolves
metcalfmafia said:

Watching sporting events in 4k on YTTV has been cool too, but it's expensive at an added 20 bucks/month.

Good to know that's an option. I need to investigate further. If HD and 4K available, I might make the switch.

Spectrum is the worst. They don't offer any incentives to existing customers and keep raising the cost.
metcalfmafia
packofwolves said:

metcalfmafia said:

Good to know that's an option. I need to investigate further. If HD and 4K available, I might make the switch.

Spectrum is the worst. They don't offer any incentives to existing customers and keep raising the cost.

It's only certain channels. ESPN doesn't have a 4K option yet. The olympics and Fox have had them so far.
packofwolves
It seems there is no perfect service out there. YTTV does not have Bally Sports (Fox Sports) nor the History channel.

Many do not have Bally Sports (price dispute), but AT&T TV does.
Oldsouljer
packofwolves said:

metcalfmafia said:

If I didn't have to keep four adults under the same roof happy, I'd toss Spectrum in a New York minute. But that situation will change in time and when it does, they're truly done with my business as they deserve.
caryking
Oldsouljer said:

packofwolves said:

metcalfmafia said:

If I didn't have to keep four adults under the same roof happy, I'd toss Spectrum in a New York minute. But that situation will change in time and when it does, they're truly done with my business as they deserve.
Still waiting on Bally's with YTTV. If I switch now, State will have half their games on Bally's. I'm just waiting to see how I can change and include Bally's...

Joe Biden
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.