Ranked-Choice Voting

673 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldsouljer
PackFansXL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've read posts by advocates of ranked-choice voting on this site and perhaps other State sites. I wanted to get some feedback from those advocates on their support for that strategy given the attempts made by Maine and now NYC. In both instances, the candidate with a clear majority of the first choice votes struggled to close the deal. There were lawsuits in the election in Maine and the eventual loser ultimately ended the fight angry and frustrated. The NYC Mayoral race has so far produced similar results. The obvious first choice winner is now in a battle with the third place candidate in first choice results and may end up losing the final tally. In the case of NYC, they have a wacky and incompetent elections board who one may excuse when judging the process. Presently, the process has yielded rampant questions about election integrity. Do previous proponents of this style of election believe this is just a startup issue or do you now have concerns that cause you to question the practicality of the process?
TheStorm
It is designed to allow another avenue for elections to be manipulated by the party in power in that area... let's just call it exactly what it is.

They already tried to cheat in NYC and apparently got caught and then used the excuse that there had been a "mistake"...
Oldsouljer
PackFansXL said:

I've read posts by advocates of ranked-choice voting on this site and perhaps other State sites. I wanted to get some feedback from those advocates on their support for that strategy given the attempts made by Maine and now NYC. In both instances, the candidate with a clear majority of the first choice votes struggled to close the deal. There were lawsuits in the election in Maine and the eventual loser ultimately ended the fight angry and frustrated. The NYC Mayoral race has so far produced similar results. The obvious first choice winner is now in a battle with the third place candidate in first choice results and may end up losing the final tally. In the case of NYC, they have a wacky and incompetent elections board who one may excuse when judging the process. Presently, the process has yielded rampant questions about election integrity. Do previous proponents of this style of election believe this is just a startup issue or do you now have questions that cause you to question the practicality of the process?
No. The GA needs to fund old-fashioned run-off elections if they are needed. None of this tricky stuff. But of course, when it comes to primaries, there shouldn't be any need given the absurdly low threshold of 30% needed to win a primary. Which was made law precisely because the GA wanted to eliminate the expense of run-off elections. It's still not very democratic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.