NC General Assembly sends NCAA a letter

5,627 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by caryking
55Burgers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dated for tomorrow so i guess it's being sent out tomorrow. I have a friend that knows somebody.

June 30, 2021

President Mark Emmert and the NCAA Leadership Team,

As members of both the North Carolina House of Representatives and the North Carolina Senate, we want to express our concerns and disappointment with the disqualification of the North Carolina State baseball team from the College World Series. We understand that Covid-19 is a very serious and deadly disease, and that proper protocols and necessary precautions must be followed. However, the decision to eliminate the NC State baseball team is a complete hypocrisy that does not fall in line with the spectator policy which is also implemented and enforced by your organization.
The decision to disqualify the NC State baseball team came at the recommendation of the Championship Medical Team and the Douglas County Health Department. Their recommendation was not a requirement. The NCAA, in turn, treated this recommendation as a directive and eliminated the NC State baseball team from further participation in the College World Series. Phil Rooney, the spokesman for the Douglas County Health Department, went on record saying that their department would support the NCAA with whatever decision that was made; therefore, not imposing any disqualification of the team.
Our question is how does the expulsion of the NC State baseball team due to broken Covid-19 protocols make any sense when the stadium in Omaha for the College World Series was filled with 20,000 plus fans? Importantly, none of the spectators were tested for Covid-19 upon entry to the stadium nor were they required to be vaccinated or wear a mask to gain admittance. If the goal of the NCAA is to protect the college athletes, shouldn't the rules be equally applied across both spectators and players?
Of particular concern is the ambiguity and lack of transparency surrounding the impetus for changing the protocol regarding testing vaccinated players after the NCAA announced its position to only test unvaccinated players. Moreover, it should be stated that the infected members with Covid-19 were in contact with Vanderbilt's team. Yet they were allowed to continue forward in the series. If the NCAA's goal is to follow the science behind the Covid-19 virus, Vanderbilt's baseball team should have also been eliminated from participating further in the Series. Your duplicitous application of your own protocols between spectators and student athletes appears to be inconsistent and inappropriate.
In conclusion, the signers of this letter from both the NC House and Senate chambers are calling on the NCAA to issue a formal apology to the NC State baseball team for callously denying them their well-deserved position in the College World Series.

Respectfully,
Skylitdrive
If true, I'm glad that someone has the balls to speak out on the corrupt NCAA because obviously our own administration doesn't.
Lagniappe
Asking for an apology....wow.
WlfpckFtbll
Lagniappe said:

An apology admits guilt... the first step toward a lawsuit. They'll never do it.

I hope our AD is taking notes from this letter however.
Colonel Armstrong
Lagniappe said:

It's not their job to fight our battle. Glad they're on our side though.
CloudPack
WlfpckFtbll said:

Lagniappe said:

An apology admits guilt... the first step toward a lawsuit. They'll never do it.

I hope our AD is taking notes from this letter however.

I hope he is the one behind it.
packgrad
I like it.
82TxPackFan
Lagniappe said:

Better than anything I've seen from NCSU administrators.
DrummerboyWolf
82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

Absolutely. The silence from Corrigan and Woodson is deafening!
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
mdreid
King Leary said:

Lagniappe said:

It's not their job to fight our battle. Glad they're on our side though.
lol this is going to turn into a bipartisan issue in the next election cycle
Lakepacker70
Cooper will probably veto it.
kmb717
Is this still going out today?
nakinawolf
I'd love to know how many signatures this letter got and would also like to know how much resistance it met from opposing members
55Burgers
nakinawolf said:

I'd love to know how many signatures this letter got and would also like to know how much resistance it met from opposing members
Checking now.

Update. It will go out today. Members have until 1pm to sign it.

Not sure I'll be able to know who's signing it or not. But my source says most are signing it and the speaker is trying to arrange to have the team come to the Senate floor to be honored like the Championship team they are.
kmb717
So has this been sent?
Francis
Speaker of the House Tim Moore didn't sign it. He has a BA from UNC Chapel Hill.
86wolf
Political grand standing. Will have no meaningful impact.
wilmwolf
Of course it won't have any impact, but writing a sternly worded letter is the least you would expect the people who nominally represent this state to do. It will be filed directly into the trash can like any other complaint, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. I'm appreciative of it, just like I'm appreciative of everyone that has spoken out about it, I don't care which letter they have next to their names.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Pakbackr
DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

No one knows what has been said, continues to be said or will be said between the NCAA and our leaders! Not everything has to be or should be shared via social media!

On a related note - I wish our General Assembly cared as much about the faculty and staff of our University System (and teachers and all state employees) who haven't had a raise since 2018, as they do about our baseball team! We've lost a ton of incredible high profile talent at NC State over the last few years, because of stagnant salaries and diminishing benefits. Companies like Apple, Goggle and others that come to or expand operations in this area always say it is because of the University system and the availability of talent. The folks downtown don't appear to understand the important symbiotic relationship that exists between our K-12/higher education system and economic growth...because they treat our employees like CRAP! Again, I wish they cared as much about that as they do about our baseball team!
caryking
Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

No one knows what has been said, continues to be said or will be said between the NCAA and our leaders! Not everything has to be or should be shared via social media!

On a related note - I wish our General Assembly cared as much about the faculty and staff of our University System (and teachers and all state employees) who haven't had a raise since 2018, as they do about our baseball team! We've lost a ton of incredible high profile talent at NC State over the last few years, because of stagnant salaries and diminishing benefits. Companies like Apple, Goggle and others that come to or expand operations in this area always say it is because of the University system and the availability of talent. The folks downtown don't appear to understand the important symbiotic relationship that exists between our K-12/higher education system and economic growth...because they treat our employees like CRAP! Again, I wish they cared as much about that as they do about our baseball team!
Booooooo
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
wolfpack9377
take it to the watercooler
Wlfpackamk
Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

Name a year teacher's don't want raises. McCrory gave them a raise and they hated him for not being enough.
cowboypack02
Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

In staying all of that the General Assembly has passed several budgets since 2018 that included teachers raises but Cooper has vetoed each of them and the the republicans are one vote short from being able to override the veto. Cooper has said in a press conference that he would veto any budget that didn't include medicaid expansion, including ones with huge teacher raises.

The General Assembly has offered raises up to 4% one year but Cooper vetoed it. I get you wanting teachers to get paid more and there is nothing wrong with that....just make sure that you are placing blame where it is due in that regard.

Glasswolf
Moving this to The Water Cooler.
Pakbackr
cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

In staying all of that the General Assembly has passed several budgets since 2018 that included teachers raises but Cooper has vetoed each of them and the the republicans are one vote short from being able to override the veto. Cooper has said in a press conference that he would veto any budget that didn't include medicaid expansion, including ones with huge teacher raises.

The General Assembly has offered raises up to 4% one year but Cooper vetoed it. I get you wanting teachers to get paid more and there is nothing wrong with that....just make sure that you are placing blame where it is due in that regard.

Everything you say is true...there is PLENTY of blame to go around for our state and university employees not getting raises since 2018. But given the fact that that the state has a multi-billion dollar surplus this year and it is an opportunity to help everyone get caught up, it is the General Assembly proposing a 1.5% salary increase! This is an insult under the circumstances.
PackFansXL
Seems like you should be chewing the arse of Cooper, not the GA. If the Guv is going to veto everything that doesn't have his pet rider$$$, then the percentage of proposed increases is irrelevant. Guv said y'all get NOTHING. He has his rulz. Remember that when the next election rolls around.
JamesJohnson
Staff
Wlfpackamk said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

Name a year teacher's don't want raises. McCrory gave them a raise and they hated him for not being enough.

Are there years you don't want a raise?
caryking
Pakbackr said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

Everything you say is true...there is PLENTY of blame to go around for our state and university employees not getting raises since 2018. But given the fact that that the state has a multi-billion dollar surplus this year and it is an opportunity to help everyone get caught up, it is the General Assembly proposing a 1.5% salary increase! This is an insult under the circumstances.
That state doesn't have anything! The state didn't spend our money, so, they should give it back!! Unfortunately, the world view you just exhibited is the problem with this country!!!

Joe Biden
cowboypack02
Pakbackr said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

So the GA offered a 1.5% raise in while in the past year huge numbers if people in the state ended up unemployed and struggled to make ends meet, parents had to leave their jobs to take care of kids who should of been in schools, and the fact that the state is not going to bring in nearly what it did previously because of the aforementioned items. There were a whole lot of people who suffered so why should teachers be any different? I'm insulted that the teachers and teachers unions don't have enough wherewithal to understand that basic economic principal.

As far as your budget surplus the teachers could of gotten a 4% raise in 2018, a 3% raise in 2019, and another 3.5% in 2020 but Cooper vetoed the budget each year to prevent that from happening because he didn't get his medicade expansion. That was his call. It's also the call of the teachers who march and complain about the GA not giving them a raise and playing politics so I really don't care if they get it or not to be honest.

Finally....Teachers start out at 32k to 34k a year in NC, depending on which county they teach in because the counties also provide a supplement to the normal state pay. This may not seem like a lot of you are just discussing that they make without context, but when you compare it to what other businesses make it's not that far off. For instance I work in finance and the starting position that I hire for pays 15.45 per hour and everyone I hire is a college grad, just like teachers are. That is slightly less then what teachers make per year starting out. Difference is that if you preform well at your job in my industry you'll be making 5 to 10K more within a year. In most businesses you also don't get two months off in the summer, which teachers do. So I. Reality teachers are making their 32k in 10 months while everyone else in society is making their 30k over 12 months. That's not even to mention the massive benefits package that teachers get, which most private businesses can't compete with at all. The great health insurance, 401k, hell...a damn pension which no one outside government workers get anymore. Don't forget the early retirement either...most teachers will get to retire years before the rest of us working folks. The other benefit to being a teacher that the rest of us don't have is unless you absolutely suck beyond belief at your job and piss the wrong person off your going to not only keep your job you'll get a raise every single year. The rest of us get fired.

I make 6 figures a year...I don't think that a teacher should make what I make because I don't believe that they can do what I do. If they could they would go out and do it instead of making what they make.
caryking
cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

So the GA offered a 1.5% raise in while in the past year huge numbers if people in the state ended up unemployed and struggled to make ends meet, parents had to leave their jobs to take care of kids who should of been in schools, and the fact that the state is not going to bring in nearly what it did previously because of the aforementioned items. There were a whole lot of people who suffered so why should teachers be any different? I'm insulted that the teachers and teachers unions don't have enough wherewithal to understand that basic economic principal.

As far as your budget surplus the teachers could of gotten a 4% raise in 2018, a 3% raise in 2019, and another 3.5% in 2020 but Cooper vetoed the budget each year to prevent that from happening because he didn't get his medicade expansion. That was his call. It's also the call of the teachers who march and complain about the GA not giving them a raise and playing politics so I really don't care if they get it or not to be honest.

Finally....Teachers start out at 32k to 34k a year in NC, depending on which county they teach in because the counties also provide a supplement to the normal state pay. This may not seem like a lot of you are just discussing that they make without context, but when you compare it to what other businesses make it's not that far off. For instance I work in finance and the starting position that I hire for pays 15.45 per hour and everyone I hire is a college grad, just like teachers are. That is slightly less then what teachers make per year starting out. Difference is that if you preform well at your job in my industry you'll be making 5 to 10K more within a year. In most businesses you also don't get two months off in the summer, which teachers do. So I. Reality teachers are making their 32k in 10 months while everyone else in society is making their 30k over 12 months. That's not even to mention the massive benefits package that teachers get, which most private businesses can't compete with at all. The great health insurance, 401k, hell...a damn pension which no one outside government workers get anymore. Don't forget the early retirement either...most teachers will get to retire years before the rest of us working folks. The other benefit to being a teacher that the rest of us don't have is unless you absolutely suck beyond belief at your job and piss the wrong person off your going to not only keep your job you'll get a raise every single year. The rest of us get fired.

I make 6 figures a year...I don't think that a teacher should make what I make because I don't believe that they can do what I do. If they could they would go out and do it instead of making what they make.
Cowboy, that is a great analysis and explanation!!!

For the people wanting more money in the teachers pocket, look at the overhead in the profession, at the county, state, and federal government levels and ask a different question.

Why do we need this much administration?

part of that money can go to the teachers and the other part can reduce our tax burden!!!!

Joe Biden
Oldsouljer
Pakbackr said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

Given the Marxist drivel they push in place of a classical education, the university system personnel should get cuts. That said, people should realize that surpluses are to be hoarded against hard times.
TheStorm
Glasswolf said:

Moving this to The Water Cooler.
LOL. Right on cue just after Cooper gets excoriated...
cowboypack02
pineknollshoresking said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

For the people wanting more money in the teachers pocket, look at the overhead in the profession, at the county, state, and federal government levels and ask a different question.

part of that money can go to the teachers and the other part can reduce our tax burden!!!!

That is the difference between private sector and public sector jobs. In the private sector I am very aware of where every penny goes in my business...I have to be. In the public sector they don't actually make the money that is being spent so you don't have the same accountability.

A few years ago NPR did a story on the public schools in West Virginia and how low teachers are paid in regards to the rest of the states. As part of the story it was discussed that there were 29 fewer schools than in 2010 (the story was from 2017) and the school budget had been increased my 40 million a year in that same time frame.

Of course NPR being bias as they are the point of the story was that the state refused to give more money to the teachers in the budget. Let's think about it critically for a moment. Let's say that the carrying cost for each of the schools was 100K a year. Each school probably employed on average 150 teachers and support staff at a average cost of 60K a year all in. Of course my numbers are guesses...but looking at Chowan county I'm probably not far off. The carrying cost for the schools would be 2.9 million dollars and the carrying cost for the teachers and staff would be 261 million. So if you take the extra 264 million from the closed schools and you add in the increased 40 million from the additional funding you end up with an extra 303 million dollars more than was in the budget since 2010.

The question here shouldn't be why teachers haven't gotten paid more...the question should be what the hell happened to all of the extra 303 million. If that were my private business the shareholders would have removed me as CEO and every law enforcement agency in the state, as well as the FBI would be investigating me.

But we don't do that, instead everyone just complains that the teachers don't make enough and no one is held accountable to the absolute waste of our tax dollars all around.

What a joke
caryking
cowboypack02 said:

pineknollshoresking said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

cowboypack02 said:

Pakbackr said:

DrummerboyWolf said:

82TxPackFan said:

Lagniappe said:

That is the difference between private sector and public sector jobs. In the private sector I am very aware of where every penny goes in my business...I have to be. In the public sector they don't actually make the money that is being spent so you don't have the same accountability.

A few years ago NPR did a story on the public schools in West Virginia and how low teachers are paid in regards to the rest of the states. As part of the story it was discussed that there were 29 fewer schools than in 2010 (the story was from 2017) and the school budget had been increased my 40 million a year in that same time frame.

Of course NPR being bias as they are the point of the story was that the state refused to give more money to the teachers in the budget. Let's think about it critically for a moment. Let's say that the carrying cost for each of the schools was 100K a year. Each school probably employed on average 150 teachers and support staff at a average cost of 60K a year all in. Of course my numbers are guesses...but looking at Chowan county I'm probably not far off. The carrying cost for the schools would be 2.9 million dollars and the carrying cost for the teachers and staff would be 261 million. So if you take the extra 264 million from the closed schools and you add in the increased 40 million from the additional funding you end up with an extra 303 million dollars more than was in the budget since 2010.

The question here shouldn't be why teachers haven't gotten paid more...the question should be what the hell happened to all of the extra 303 million. If that were my private business the shareholders would have removed me as CEO and every law enforcement agency in the state, as well as the FBI would be investigating me.

But we don't do that, instead everyone just complains that the teachers don't make enough and no one is held accountable to the absolute waste of our tax dollars all around.

What a joke
Spot On!!! That's exactly why I voted for Trump and continue to support his re-election!!! People not in business for themselves and/or responsible to a "true budget" never look at situations responsibly. One of the education failures of my lifetime!

Joe Biden
cowboypack02
It amazes me that people graduating today don't learn basic economics coming out of school.

Alot of younger folks that I know have and idea of the basic economic principals that make the world work, or even the simple task of building out a budget, balancing a checkbook, or the downsides of outrageous debt.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.