5 dead, including 2 deputies, from all-day standoff in Boone

10,576 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BBW12OG
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Back in my younger days, my doctor would occasionally give me a sample pack for x prescription (glad I caught this before posting. Not Xanax. Just random prescription) to try before filling a prescription. Don't think that happens anymore.

Have a distant relative that's in pharmaceutical sales, and it's been quite a while since we last spoke, but she told me it has changed quite a bit in what they are allowed to do in their marketing budget to generate business. Even limiting the amount of lunches they could provide for practices. She conveyed it was an industry change, not a company change.
PackPA2015
packgrad said:

Back in my younger days, my doctor would occasionally give me a sample pack for x prescription (glad I caught this before posting. Not Xanax. Just random prescription) to try before filling a prescription. Don't think that happens anymore.

Have a distant relative that's in pharmaceutical sales, and it's been quite a while since we last spoke, but she told me it has changed quite a bit in what they are allowed to do in their marketing budget to generate business. Even limiting the amount of lunches they could provide for practices. She conveyed it was an industry change, not a company change.
We still get samples, but no where near what the amount it used to be. We no longer receive any controlled substance (hydrocodone, Xanax, etc.) samples.

She is exactly correct. Someone studied it and found it had a big effect even on subconscious biases to prescribe those medications, so the FDA/DEA really cracked down on things.
Mormad
I don't think we have a single sample
BBW12OG
Mormad said:

I don't think we have a single sample
I worked at a very small town hospital during high school summers mowing the yard, picking up trash, menial yard work tasks. My parents were close friends of most of the administration and they needed a yard boy to help out.

My favorite memories as a 16-17 year-old running the weed eater, mower, hedge trimmers were on Tuesday and Thursdays. That's when the drug reps would visit the pharmacy.

Wow...just wow.... you want to talk about top shelf talent. I'm not sure if it's like that today but I promise you myself and the two guys on the maintenance staff knew where to be Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

There was a side parking lot that they parked in so they could wheel in their rolling arsenal of pills that looked like a basic roller bag today. Those were the only hours they were allowed to come into visit. We had one pharmacist and he had two smoking hot assistants that I believe where techs? Not sure been a while.

He would tell us stories of the reps giving him the "heads up" on what drugs were hitting the market, what to expect etc... He also told us that one pill could cost a patient 1,000% - 2,000% of its' individual production cost.

Now keep in mind that was '89 - '91 era. I'm not sure if it's that loose and free anymore but I know he made a ****load of money off several drug companies because we still stay in touch. He retired 20 years ago so he's been out of it for a while. But I can promise you he bailed hay when it wasn't raining!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.