April 20, 1999 Columbine School Shooting

1,113 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AlleyPack
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RunsWithWolves26
I can't believe it has been that long. I remember being locked down in school after it happened and baseball practice canceled for a couple of days. Hell, a couple weeks after it happened, our school was locked down, sbi on the building with sniper rifles ready, cops all around the school etc because someone called and said they were coming to blow it up. At the time, I thought it was wild what had happened but now 22 years later, it's not even close to the craziest things I've seen since. The world sure has changed since then.
Oldsouljer
Yup. These things didn't happen back when prayer and religious education were allowed in school.
statefan91
I remember watching coverage live on the news after getting home from school one day. We definitely saw an uptick of things like bomb threats and random stuff like that that were copycatting after this happened.
Civilized
I'm not sure whether religious education or prayerful schools have a direct effect but the decrease in religiosity of America may since being active in church communities increases connectedness and reduces social isolation.

Churches and church activities have historically been a primary social connector in our society. Those connections have diminished over the last few decades with nothing moving in to fill the void, resulting in more social isolation for adults and kids alike.

From a mental engagement standpoint, politics has become the new pseudo-religion in the last 15 years or so but it doesn't have the social engagement component that church activities did.

The biggest correlation, by far, with school shootings though is bullying. Over 90% of school shooters have experienced significant bullying in school (which could well be an extension of the aforementioned isolation).

Recognizing isolated, bullied kids in schools is probably the most direct path to reducing these events but like any serious cultural issue there's no one-stop shop.

AlleyPack
RunsWithWolves26 said:

I can't believe it has been that long. I remember being locked down in school after it happened and baseball practice canceled for a couple of days. Hell, a couple weeks after it happened, our school was locked down, sbi on the building with sniper rifles ready, cops all around the school etc because someone called and said they were coming to blow it up. At the time, I thought it was wild what had happened but now 22 years later, it's not even close to the craziest things I've seen since. The world sure has changed since then.

I was coaching in Wake County at the time and a few days/weeks later (don't remember the exact timeframe) the school went into lockdown one day because (if I'm recalling correctly) someone thought they saw a couple of guys wearing trenchcoats walking in the parking lot.

It was the same type of situation (different school) a couple of years later after 9/11. There was a bomb threat a day or two afterwards, lockdown and then evacuation, etc.

Life before (widespread) cell phones.
Times have changed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.