Who's your all time favorite music group?

4,340 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by PACK1992
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll preface this to say that music is like bbq in that it's all subjective. My "old guy" is gonna show here. I'm one that enjoys almost all genres of music. At 62, I will freely admit that I'm no rap fan, nor has heavy metal ever been much of an enjoyment. Given that, my all time favorite group is The Oak Ridge Boys.

They started as a gospel group back in the 1940's, but when I picked up on them was during their transition to country music. They've shifted a little back to gospel the past few years, but, I still have them as my all time favorite group.
Glasswolf
The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac are my top 2.

Molly Hatchet
Led Zeppelin
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

packguy75
Give me Chicago, Three Dog Night, and the Doobie Brothers -
RunsWithWolves26
This will sound strange for someone in their mid 30's but my favorite all time group is Boston. Heard my first Boston song that I can remember when I was 7 and I was hooked. Of course, it made my dad happy because he was a classic rock lover.

ETA: The Eagles, REO speedwagon and the Steve Miller Band are all up there for me.
caryking
RunsWithWolves26 said:

This will sound strange for someone in their mid 30's but my favorite all time group is Boston. Heard my first Boston song that I can remember when I was 7 and I was hooked. Of course, it made my dad happy because he was a classic rock lover.

ETA: The Eagles, REO speedwagon and the Steve Miller Band are all up there for me.
Boston's first album was as good as it gets!
Steve Williams
Staff
I'm an outlier but ELO has been my favorite since I was a little kid. In the 80's I was a huge Def Leppard fan. The 90's sucked. In the 2000's I really started liking groups like Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Seether and that's who I listen to now primarily.
SexualChocolate
I listen to everything; Jazz, Country, Old School Rap, Classic Rock, Funk, Reggae, Jam Bands, Metal so almost everything across the spectrum.

Jazz: Coltrane, Miles Davis
Rap: Wu Tang, Beasties, Snoop, Dr. Dre
Classic Rock: Steely Dan, Clapton, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Stones
Funk: James Brown, Average White Band, Ohio Players
Reggae: Bob Marley, Black Uhuru, Gregory Isaacs
Jam: Dead, Phish, Khrungbin
Metal: Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Metallica

Dislikes: New Rap.
TheStorm
Still Van Halen for me...
AlleyPack
Judas Priest
----
AC/DC
Tool
Iced Earth
Dokken

That's probably the top five.
Though numbers 6-50 would have a lot of talent as well.
statefan91
1a. Fleetwood Mac
1b. Tears for Fears
Steve Williams
Staff
AlleyPack said:

Judas Priest
----
AC/DC
Tool
Iced Earth
Dokken

That's probably the top five.
Though numbers 6-50 would have a lot of talent as well.
Dokken- yes sir!
griff17matt
Steve Williams said:

I'm an outlier but ELO has been my favorite since I was a little kid. In the 80's I was a huge Def Leppard fan. The 90's sucked. In the 2000's I really started liking groups like Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Seether and that's who I listen to now primarily.
The ****ing slander out of this man's mouth...Radiohead? Weezer? Smashing Pumpkins? Oasis? Green Day? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Foo Fighters? Deftones? Soundgarden? RATM? Tool? Silverchair? Hell, even Nirvana and Pearl Jam, though they weren't my favorites.

My favorite band of all time, that I could just put a record on and listen to it and love damn near every track, would have to be The Eagles. Timeless. Excellent song writing. Excellent musicianship.

1. The Eagles
2. The Allman Brothers
3. Deftones
4. The Smashing Pumpkins
5. Weezer

Tears for Fears is without a doubt my favorite band from the 80s though, so great call there. I could listen to Head Over Heels on repeat.

Favorite recently formed band is probably The Band CAMINO.
statefan91
Nice lists on all accounts, and appreciate the recognition on Tears for Fears. Everybody Wants To Rule The World is my favorite, but they have so many that people don't even realize it's them.
ncsualum05
Kiss
Ratt
Motley Crue
Def Leppard
Guns N Roses
AC/DC

I like hair bands and 80s. I like some 70's classic as well. But generally I like to be juiced up by my music.
Packchem91
U2
Eagles
Zac Brown Band (until last 2 records)
Green River Ordinance, Casey Donahew Band, Josh Abbot Band --- from the Red Dirt radio genre in Texas
Hootie & Blowfish (guilty pleasure)
griff17matt
statefan91 said:

Nice lists on all accounts, and appreciate the recognition on Tears for Fears. Everybody Wants To Rule The World is my favorite, but they have so many that people don't even realize it's them.
If I'm being honest, my love for Psych really brought me around to a lot of 80s music. I had written quite a bit of it off. Curt Smith being on the show a ton really started me down that path of digging into their catalog. I tend to like specific songs from the 80s as opposed to specific bands though, so if you have any suggestions, I'm always open to new (to me) music.
statefan91
griff17matt said:

statefan91 said:

If I'm being honest, my love for Psych really brought me around to a lot of 80s music. I had written quite a bit of it off. Curt Smith being on the show a ton really started me down that path of digging into their catalog. I tend to like specific songs from the 80s as opposed to specific bands though, so if you have any suggestions, I'm always open to new (to me) music.
Depends on what you like of the 80s music out there; there is a lot of stuff that stays away from the Synth Pop and is more moody. INXS, The Church, Echo & The Bunnymen, Joy Division, Oingo Boingo are some that are on a soundtrack for the movie Donnie Darko and it's got a cool mood to it.

[ol]
  • "Never Tear Us Apart" by INXS 3:04
  • "Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears 4:16
  • "Under the Milky Way" by The Church 4:58
  • "Notorious" by Duran Duran 4:00
  • "Stay" by Oingo Boingo 3:38
  • "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division 3:23
  • "The Killing Moon" by Echo & the Bunnymen 5:55
  • [/ol]
    packguy75
    "My favorite band of all time, that I could just put a record on and listen to it and love damn near every track, would have to be The Eagles. Timeless. Excellent song writing. Excellent musicianship"

Good call on The Eagles -.
    Tootie4Pack
    Too many to name. Famous bands and local bands alike. Could be here all day writing about different artists.

" Rock and roll all night, and party every day."
    Cornpack
    Favorite would probably be The Black Keys but you could talk me into swapping in Weezer or Credence Clearwater Revival. If individuals are included, I love me some Bob Seger.
    Retired internet funny guy
    WolfQuacker
    1. Grateful Dead
    2. Greensky Bluegrass
    3. Whiskeytown
    4. Uncle Tupelo
    5. Billy Strings (rising up my list rapidly)
    6. Led Zeppelin
    7. Phish
    8. Del McCrory Band
    9. Widespread Panic (dropping over the years due to the fanbase)
    10. Flying Burrito Brothers/Gram Parsons
    griff17matt
    statefan91 said:

Love this live set of theirs...

Radman
    Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
    Dire Straits
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    hokiewolf
    Geez you guys aren't helping with NC State stereotypes with these music choices

Van Morrison for me is my favorite
    metcalfmafia
    Thoughts on the new Chevelle album?
    Mormad
    Rush
    U2
    Zac Brown earlier stuff
    Civilized
    I honestly don't know how people answer this question.

There's so damn much great music out there that I love from different eras and genres, it's impossible to winnow it down.
    Steve Williams
    Staff
    metcalfmafia said:

Peach is probably my favorite song from the album. I like Self Destructor as well. I've been going back listening to some of their older stuff. Have got Jawbreaker on repeat right now. You?
    AlleyPack
    Steve Williams said:

metcalfmafia said:

Peach is probably my favorite song from the album. I like Self Destructor as well. I've been going back listening to some of their older stuff. Have got Jawbreaker on repeat right now. You?

If you don't already, you should definitely listen to some Tool (considering you like Peach).
    wilmwolf
    1. Creed
    2. Nickelback
    3. Creed covering Nickelback
    Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
    Steve Williams
    Staff
    wilmwolf80 said:

1. Creed
    2. Nickelback
    3. Creed covering Nickelback

My man lol
    brickturner
    Allman Brothers
    Marshall Tucker
    ZZ Top
    eighty3
    Almost anything between 1978 and 1989. My son is 27 and even in high school he said "you guys had all the great music in the 80's" . Hard rock, Alternative, Metal, Punk, Pop Rock, Rockabilly, Rap, etc.
    PackFansXL
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Dan Fogelberg
    Billy Joel
    Eagles
    Chicago
    Zac Brown Band
    Van Morrison
    Al Jarreau
    PACK1992
    Tom Petty.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.