Prince Philip has Died

848 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Cthepack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My favorite Royal! RIP
cowboypack02
Shame that a guy who went and fought against the nazis in WW2 got treated like a racist but an ungrateful relative in the last year of his life
Cthepack
cowboypack02 said:

Shame that a guy who went and fought against the nazis in WW2 got treated like a racist but an ungrateful relative in the last year of his life
He did not have much of a filter.
TheStorm
Thanks for posting as I don't watch the news anymore... back in the day, he was a very physically imposing individual.

Always conducted himself with honor and decency... and still always stood in the shadow.

RIP. The world lost a good man today...
dogplasma
We watched The Royals earlier this year and learned a lot. England's First Man certainly had a long and interesting life. Not sure that's a life I would choose for myself though (if choices were given).
Bell Tower Grey
Cthepack said:

cowboypack02 said:

He did not have much of a filter.
RIP to a good one. And, he didn't have a filter nor seem to care. Here's some of his best work, courtesy of The Independent:

On his marriage to the Queen, Golden wedding anniversary, 1997
"I think the main lesson we have learnt is that tolerance is the one essential ingredient in any happy marriage... You can take it from me, the Queen has the quality of tolerance in abundance."
On his son Prince Charles, 1999
"He's a romantic, and I'm a pragmatist. That means we do see things differently. And because I don't see things as a romantic would, I'm 'unfeeling'."
On his reputation
"I've just done what I think is my best. Some people think it's all right. Some don't. What can you do? I can't suddenly change my whole way of doing things. I can't change my interests and the way in which I react to things. It's part of my style. It's just too bad, they'll have to lump it."
On Princess Anne
"If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she isn't interested."
On the 1981 recession
"Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed."
On the Duke of Edinburgh scheme
"[My] legacy? No, no it's got nothing to do with me. It's there for people to use. I couldn't care less. It's relevant too because it's part of the process of growing up."
On the attempted kidnap of his daughter, the Princess Royal, 1974
"If the man had succeeded in abducting Anne, she would have given him a hell of a time while in captivity."
At the opening of a school, 2000
"You send children to school to get them out of your hair. Then they come back and make life difficult for parents. That is why holidays are set so they are just about the limit of your endurance."
On tourism, at the opening of City Hall in London, 2002
"Of course the problem with London is the tourists. They cause the congestion. They block the streets. If we could just stop tourism we could stop the congestion."
On stepping back from his workload, 90th birthday, 2011
"[It's] better to get out before you reach your sell by date. I reckon I've done my bit so I can enjoy myself, less responsibility, less frantic rushing about, less trying to think of something to sayI'm just sort of winding down."

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.