RIP: Wilberdean Shirley, Great Wolfpacker, BBQ Master

3,525 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wilber had a good run. RIP, good sir. The man loved the Wolfpack as much as he did making great bbq.

Have had the pleasure of eating there several times since it re-opened. It's as good, or better, than it was during its prime while Wilber owned it and Ike Green was manning the pit.
Glad he got to see it come back with such success.

GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WNCT) One of the original owners of the famous Wilbur's BBQ in Goldsboro has passed away.

Wilberdean Shirley was 90. News of his death was reported on the restaurant's Twitter page on Monday.
The Twitter post read, "It with a heavy heart we share that Mr. Wilberdean Shirley has gone to be with the Lord. We are grateful for all he has done for the community and ask that you lift his family up in your prayers during this time."

Wilber was living in a retirement community in Kinston at the time of his death.
The restaurant opened on July 24, 1961 and quickly became one of the to-go-to places for BBQ in North Carolina. The business closed in March of 2019 after struggling to pay taxes. On Nov. 8, 2019, a group of investors, Goldpit Partners, LLC, purchased the restaurant, CBS affiliate WNCN reports.
packgrad
Damn. Went there many a time when my brother was stationed there, and also on the way to the beach, the old way. RIP, sir. Your work left me satiated and satisfied pretty much every time I visited.
ciscopack
Good grub!
caryking
packgrad said:

Damn. Went there many a time when my brother was stationed there, and also on the way to the beach, the old way. RIP, sir. Your work left me satiated and satisfied pretty much every time I visited.
Agree! Stopped there a lot while traveling to the beach. Loved getting a simple BBQ sandwich and drink to go...
barnburner
King o' swine.
Tootie4Pack
One of the Kings of Eastern NC BBQ. RIP.

Loved stopping by to get a sammich with slaw, a side of potato salad, and a dozen hush puppies. Good eating !!
ncsupack1
RIP
Glasswolf
pineknollshoresking said:

packgrad said:

Agree! Stopped there a lot while traveling to the beach. Loved getting a simple BBQ sandwich and drink to go...
The food was very good but the pork skins were legendary. having been raised in Pikeville you got BBQ from 2 places. Wilburs or Parkers. Mr. Shirley was a very good family friend
SexualChocolate
For a time, I considered Wilbur's the best Eastern Style BBQ in NC. Used to stop on the way to the beach and talk Pack sports with Mr. Shirley as I picked up a sandwich to eat and Q to go for the beach.
dwanna
Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

The food was very good but the pork skins were legendary. having been raised in Pikeville you got BBQ from 2 places. Wilburs or Parkers. Mr. Shirley was a very good family friend
Glass - My mom's side of family was in Pikeville, I used to go visit my Grandmother there.

And obviously have had many good meals from Wilburs.

RIP
Bell Tower Grey
dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

Glass - My mom's side of family was in Pikeville, I used to go visit my Grandmother there.

RIP
Any of you Pikeville folks ever know Ed Crawford (Crawford Furniture) or Freddie Lancaster (Big Daddy's Seafood Restaurants) ?
Glasswolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP
Any of you Pikeville folks ever know Ed Crawford (Crawford Furniture) or Freddie Lancaster (Big Daddy's Seafood Restaurants) ?
New them both. Went to CBA with some of the lancaster kids. Crawfords is now owned and run by my cousin and her husband. I think I still owe Crawford's soem $$ from back in the 80's. I knew Jimmy Crawford really well. It was sad when he passd away
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

dwanna
Glasswolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP
New them both. Went to CBA with some of the lancaster kids. Crawfords is now owned and run by my cousin and her husband. I think I still owe Crawford's soem $$ from back in the 80's. I knew Jimmy Crawford really well. It was sad when he passd away

When in Pikeville, we would go to church and see Crawford family there. Jimmy was a great guy. My grandmother lived near the old school, so I messed around there and walked to Howell's Grocery to get red hot dogs for lunch.
Glasswolf
dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP

When in Pikeville, we would go to church and see Crawford family there. Jimmy was a great guy. My grandmother lived near the old school, so I messed around there and walked to Howell's Grocery to get red hot dogs for lunch.
I run a page on FB called "I grew up in Pikeville" Lot of great history gets shared there. Howell Brothers has been closed for many years. It's a shell of the small town it use to be. When I move into State in 1978 I never looked back though. Less than 600 people lived there then. Bragaw had almost 1200 when I moved in...And free beer most weekends
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

dwanna
Glasswolf said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP

I run a page on FB called "I grew up in Pikeville" Lot of great history gets shared there. Howell Brothers has been closed for many years. It's a shell of the small town it use to be. When I move into State in 1978 I never looked back though. Less than 600 people lived there then. Bragaw had almost 1200 when I moved in...And free beer most weekends

Yeah, my grandmother passed years ago, and I think my uncle sold her house, so I haven't been back through in quite awhile. It was definitely a small town. When my Mom first took my dad there, my dad got in trouble for asking "is that it" about the town.
Bell Tower Grey
Thanks, guys. Knew Ed Crawford, his wife Alice, and their kids - Neal and LuGene years ago. Know Freddie's son, Jeff. He and his wife have a bbq restaurant in Mooresville, not far from where the Big Daddy's seafood restaurant was located. Jeff's place is very good, and worth a stop if you're in the Mooresville area.
TheStorm
Great thread... may have to make that 1 hour, 40 minute drive specifically in his honor (if the food is still good, which this thread says it is, right?) just for lunch on the spot and something to go for later to "take for the wife" . *I can think of a legitimate work reason to get up there... easily.

On another note, heard that Allen & Sons (in between Hillsborough & Chapel Hill - in what used to be the "middle of nowhere" but obviously isn't anymore) closed up within the last year to year and a half as well... makes me wonder if Bullocks' is even still around (Durham, Hillandale Road area).
packgrad
That Allen and Sons did close. The one in Pittsboro is still open. Bullocks is still open. I haven't been in quite a while, but it was still good last time I ate there. They've been affected by a froo froo, new in the last few years, BBQ joint that serves craft beer a couple miles down the road. Sometimes I worry they may age out as the clientele is often mostly blue hair, but blue collar hits them up pretty good at lunch too. Heck, most OG BBQ restaurants main clientele is probably blue haired. As you get older you appreciate the finer things in life.
TheStorm
Love hearing the "small town" stories... brings back memories of driving through places like "old" Pittsboro, Rowland (and later on as the routes evolved Fair Bluff and Tabor (home of the "Tabor City Rednecks" from whom I once intercepted a "hitch and pitch" in Intramurals and took to the house)), Lake View, Nichols, (Loris, kind of), Green Sea, Longs, etc... some well known "speed traps" on the way back to NMB back in the day...

I think my favorite one right now might be a little place called "Whaleyville" on US-13 in southern Virginia on the way to Williamsburg...
Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm said:

Great thread... may have to make that 1 hour, 40 minute drive specifically in his honor (if the food is still good, which this thread says it is, right?) just for lunch on the spot and something to go for later to "take for the wife" . *I can think of a legitimate work reason to get up there... easily.

On another note, heard that Allen & Sons (in between Hillsborough & Chapel Hill - in what used to be the "middle of nowhere" but obviously isn't anymore) closed up within the last year to year and a half as well... makes me wonder if Bullocks' is even still around (Durham, Hillandale Road area).
Wilber's is as good as, or better than, it's ever been. The menu is somewhat streamlined, but it seems to have given the pitmaster and other cook staff more time to pay attention to detail.

The dining room is open for service now.

The restaurant is open Wed. - Sat. 11 am - 6:30 pm, and Sun. 11 am - 3 pm. Closed Mon. & Tue.

Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1
Thanks for posting. Wife and I may have to plan a trip that way one weekend.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Thanks for posting. Wife and I may have to plan a trip that way one weekend.
You're welcome.
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP
I knew Jimmy Crawford and know the new Crawford owners well.
I grew up near the original Big Daddys restaurant.

Wasnt the original owner Tommy Lancaster?
Family still has locations I believe at Kure Beach and near Charlotte.

Glass,
I had lunch at Wilbers the other day with your cuz.
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
waynecountywolf
Glasswolf said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP

Howell Bro had the best handcut steaks.

Now a Carquest or Advance Auto.
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP
Ed was a different set( related probably) from Mr Junior Crawford and Jimmy Crawford of Crawford Furniture..
TheStorm
waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP

Glass,

There was a Big Daddy's at Lake Norman on NC Hwy 150 in between Mooresville and the lake itself.
waynecountywolf
TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP

Glass,

There was a Big Daddy's at Lake Norman on NC Hwy 150 in between Mooresville and the lake itself.
Yep, same Lancaster family. The original Big Daddys is in Wayne on Big Daddys Rd not far from where they dropped the nuclear bombs.
waynecountywolf
Found out recently Old Tuffy is now located in a dorm room in good hands.
Bell Tower Grey
TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP

Glass,

Same folks. Freddy ran the Lake Norman place on 150. His brother, Jeff, runs Lancaster's BBQ in Mooresville and now Huntersville also. Haven't eaten there in a few years, but used to eat there at least once a month at the Mooresville location. Good grub. https://lancastersbbq.com/
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Pisses me off it's not in the restaurant in its rightful place.
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

They replaced Tuffy with a pic of Wilber about that same size.
At least Tuffy is with Wilbers family and on the right campus.
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

They replaced Tuffy with a pic of Wilber about that same size.
At least Tuffy is with Wilbers family and on the right campus.
Yeah, I've seen it. Glad they're honoring his legacy. They knew that Tuffy was a part of that, though. Probably damn holes that are principals now.
pack99
Bell Tower Grey said:

TheStorm said:

waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

dwanna said:

Glasswolf said:

packgrad said:

RIP

Glass,

Same folks. Freddy ran the Lake Norman place on 150. His brother, Jeff, runs Lancaster's BBQ in Mooresville and now Huntersville also. Haven't eaten there in a few years, but used to eat there at least once a month at the Mooresville location. Good grub. https://lancastersbbq.com/
Huntersville location is my go to spot for BBQ around here. It's pretty solid. Makes sense that there are some Eastern NC connections.
ZAXPACK15
A UNC grad is one of the guys running it now...
3rd generation CALS grad
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.