Deck materials

1,313 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FlossyDFlynt
dogplasma
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm in the home stretch of cleaning and sealing our back deck and I'm realizing that I never want to do this chore again in my natural life. It's not the first time I've done it but I guess I'm getting old because it's been more work and more Ibuprofen than I remembered. Does anyone have any experience with low-maintenance decking materials? Basically, anything other than treated yellow pine?

Our deck boards are still in decent shape (had to replace a few boards) and I've probably extended the inevitable by a number of years. Paying someone to power wash and stain/seal is certainly an option for the next go-round. But I know there are other better materials and maybe the money would be better spent making the deck surface more durable.

I've literally spent zero time on research. I was sitting here resting near my phone and realized I could still move my thumbs, so I started a thread. A friend at work recently replaced his deck boards himself with some sort of teak or teak-like product. Maybe I should investigate that at some point.
packgrad
Building materials are as high as they've ever been. Products like Trex would be what you're looking for. There will be an boom in the market eventually where the prices come back down. I would wait if it's not a pressing issue, assuming money is a factor.
wilmwolf
My favorite is ipe with a hidden fastener system, but that is $$$. I'm not a big fan of the composite products, mainly because they get pretty hot down here at the beach, but that may not be a concern.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
dogplasma
Thanks! My main concern is mildew and rot. Much of our back deck stays pretty shady in the summer, and wet summers are tough on it. If there was a stain/sealant that held up significantly more than about 3 years, I could live with that, but 3 years seems to be about the lifespan of the stuff I've been using (Behr premium). I do need to be more diligent about pressure washing regularly - that would help.
Sierrawolf
Composite seems like it would be the ticket for this. I haven't shopped for it in a while but I bet you can find a cheaper alternative to Trex
jkpackfan
PVC or composite is the way to go. You'll pay more but it's worth it in the long run
ciscopack
Concrete is the way to go.....patio or deck. Treated lumber sucks.....grown too fast. That 40 year guarantee is fools gold. Trex is a good product and expensive. Done properly, bare feet love it. I don't know the prices these days but my brother did 4 large stoops, 3 sets of concrete parged steps/foundation/footing/piers and a concrete patio 4 years ago for a good amount less that what a large wood deck was going to cost (with treated wood decking boards).

In the Raleigh area, it's a bad time to build anything price-wise. Wayyyyyyy ttooooo much demand and short supplies.

I have 25 year old Trex. They just had 2 choices back then.
dogplasma
Are the prices due to regional demand or is it a Covid supply chain issue? Not that I'm planning to do anything soon - just curious. I appreciate the responses!
packgrad
Supply chain. We were having trouble just getting plywood earlier in the year. I think they're working their way out of the backlog, but it's still there. I haven't bought any of the composite deck materials lately, but I've priced it, and it has a pretty good backlog right now as well.
packgrad
One of my guys had to pick up some 2x12x16 today. ****ers cost $67 plus tax. Crazy.
jkpackfan
2x4's are a little over $8. Insane
dogplasma
Wow. Google shows lumber prices up almost 200% (triple) what they were a year ago.
Civilized
True story.

And OSB is even worse than lumber. Crazy times!
FlossyDFlynt
Sierrawolf said:

Composite seems like it would be the ticket for this. I haven't shopped for it in a while but I bet you can find a cheaper alternative to Trex
My deck is composite and Ive loved it. Have to powerwash it every couple of years, but its been fantastic for me
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.