Living in Raleigh area again

1,590 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by IseWolf22
Packamylase
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our Family is considering a move back to the Triangle. I haven't lived in Raleigh - Durham since 2007, but I was in Fayetteville from 2012-2014, so I was around. I'm a Family Physician and have interviewed with both UNC and Duke.

I would really appreciate input from those that live in Raleigh...

How has it changed in the last 10 years? Good/Bad?
How has the influx of people affected traffic and getting around?
What's it like living in Cary /Apex these days?
When is the South 540 Loop supposed to be completed?
Would you recommend Raleigh for us to raise our young family? Why /Why not?

If you have any other inquiries, I'll try to clarify.

Thanks so much for sharing your opinions and being open with me here.
PackBacker07
Traffic is awful, and Cary/Apex are expensive as hell (in real estate terms). Not sure anyone can argue either point. That being said, it's an amazing place to raise a family. Great schools in Wake County and very friendly and accommodating people on the whole.
Y'all means ALL.
FlossyDFlynt
Ill add some perspective, although I cant answer most of your questions.

I moved away in the beginning of 2012 and moved back the summer of 2015. In the 3.5 years I was away, it changed dramatically and continues to change today. The area around NCSU is completely different. Some changes Ive liked, others I havent, but I have loved living here again.

Unfortunately, I cant speak for Cary/Apex as I hardly go down that way and I cant really speak on traffic either as I dont commute for work. Even though I am currently single, I have every intention of raising a family here if its in the cards.

I will say I could see myself leaving Raleigh at some point, but if I do, Ill be heading towards the coast. I dont see myself leaving NC again, I like it too much here.
ZAXPACK15
How has it changed in the last 10 years? Good/Bad?
It has grown, gotten more expensive all over Wake County. It has sections that feel very modern and new but the old "small southern city" vibe still exists.
How has the influx of people affected traffic and getting around?
Hard to tell with Covid keeping schools shut down and tech jobs working form home, but as with any city, it has some trouble spots.
What's it like living in Cary /Apex these days?
It is growing just as fast as anywhere else it feels like.
When is the South 540 Loop supposed to be completed?
The corridor is being cleared now, still a few years out from completion
Would you recommend Raleigh for us to raise our young family? Why /Why not?
It depends what kind of environment you are looking for. No shortage of kids their age and pretty bike friendly along the greenways to go see them.

For context I grew up in Fuquay-Varina and stayed in Raleigh after graduating from State. Raleigh is transforming with new centers of growth around North Hills, the Warehouse district, and projected growth to the south. I do hate some of the pockets that have changed and places have closed, but if developed in a thoughtful manner, Raleigh could be an energizing place to live because of all the new people and investment.
3rd generation CALS grad
Packamylase
Thank you for your thoughtful responses!
wilmwolf
"I will say I could see myself leaving Raleigh at some point, but if I do, Ill be heading towards the coast. "

Sorry, the coast is full. Check back next year for openings.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
FlossyDFlynt
wilmwolf80 said:

"I will say I could see myself leaving Raleigh at some point, but if I do, Ill be heading towards the coast. "

Sorry, the coast is full. Check back next year for openings.

Ha. It would be years away before its even possible. I have a good setup work wise in Raleigh with RDU having so many options. My mother is working on moving to Raleigh at the moment and Im trying to see if its a good idea to buy investment property for her to live in. As much as I love the area, the Wilmington airport wont really meet my needs work wise, assuming I ever start traveling again.

But at some point, it may become a viable option. Just kind of seeing where life takes me at this point
barnburner
Have lived in ITB Raleigh many years and worked in Cary/Apex many years as well. The rate of change is astounding. Sometimes it seems I don't know where I am... like the Smokey Hollow area at Peace and West.. it's like a whole new city sprung up there. Many of the vestiges of old Raleigh are going or gone. It seemed I used to always run into people I know and now not as many. Hillsborough street is unrecognizable and looks like McCity a good bit. 'The Industry' (real estate dev) remains strong and still dominates everything it wants to. There are cranes across the skyline and the construction is breathtaking in some respects.
All that said, I still love it here but for different reasons... There is always a ton going on except during Covid. The area is continuing to grow and especially during the pandemic and beyond and even more jobs are coming here. So change will be a constant. There are now many more cultural things to do and great restaurants everywhere. The city remains relatively young and there is a sense of energy here that I appreciate.
As for Cary/Apex, they are no longer sleepy and have all the typical big box retail. Cary has a cool downtown vibe to it now with lots going on there and they are doing a huge open space development downtown... as does old downtown Apex. Even Holly Springs is chic! It is a sellers market here and finding a house is difficult. It seems properties still get multiple offers above listing price within 48 hours...you snooze, you lose. It could pay to rent in the near term.
I think Raleigh and the burbs are good for raising kids.. on our street near Mordecai, the 20 and 30 somethings are spitting out babies and they are living near high quality schools. Cary/Apex have good schools too.
Some people mention traffic, but while there is traffic, the rush hour part of traffic is not as intense as it was before Covid and some predict it will not go back that way,. Also, living in town, alleviates a good bit of traffic for us. Good luck with your decision.
dogplasma
I've lived in Cary most of my life (since high school) so I'm biased, but I really like the area. The K-12 schools are really good (or were for us) and over the last 10 years it seems like Wake has stopped the annual student reassignments that drove people crazy in the early 2000s. Our kids all went to in state universities - State, UNC, UNCG - and it's been great to be convenient to them.

Housing values in Cary have gone up a good bit - maybe 30-40% ?? - in the last ten years. I count that as a plus, but maybe you wouldn't!

There are lots of places to eat nearby and green spaces to enjoy. Not just parks like Umstead but neighborhood greenways too. Cary is getting ready to put in a $55 mil park downtown. I don't know why it's that freaking expensive but I'm sure it'll be fancy.

Rush hour I-40 traffic between Raleigh and the RTP is usually pretty bad. (Luckily I work south of Raleigh.) I don't think the full 540 loop will be done for another ten years or so, but the section from 55 to 401 (I think) is on track for completion in a few years.

Don't know if that's really informative, but there you go.
Packamylase
Thank you!
curmudgeon.zen
Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight, and I am making no statements for/against anything.

That said, since you are raising a young family, in my opinion you'd be wise to take a hard look at the current curriculum being instituted in the public school system. Some call it progressive, others call it indoctrination. Might be your cup of tea, might not. That's up to you. It would damn sure be a major consideration for me, were I in your shoes.
Log off. Go outside.
ciscopack
I'm thinking about Vermont or Maine (joking but that could change). Bring back the 70's when I knew everyone within 3-4-5 miles or the 60's when I went to watch 1-A Cary High (400+ students 1-12) play 1-A Wakelon. I tried to tell everyone that wanted to sell their land for another subdivision. I have land that was valued at $3000/acre in the early 90's that I could sell for $80,000/acre now (1- 5th Greatgrandad/mom, 4th and 3rd are buried there; pre-Revolutionary War) and some that was sold back to my granddad in the 1970's at $2000/acre that I could sell for $300,000/acre and I'd prefer a time machine. I rent to a family that has bid on 5 homes at full price and they all sold for $30,000-50,000 more). I used to build and I saw Building Material companies throwing OSB at me for $4.24/sheet after it had been around $28/sheet....same for other materials. OSB is now around $38/sheet. Progress is in the eye of the beholder!!

I have a niece that teaches 3rd grade at an Apex Elem. school. I still like that town but it's growing; Wake Forest has exploded into Franklin County big time. I'm a country boy!
metcalfmafia
Good luck buying a house that is even close to Raleigh. Unless you have some serious serious scratch ready to sling.

I'm almost getting to the point where I'll just rent until I'm ready to move away from Raleigh. Or at least until this housing bubble finally bursts.
ciscopack
WF Realtor friend told me the other day that she lists a house 1 day and and it's sold the next. Supply and demand is OUT OF WHACK! I was talking to 2 friends that put in septic systems and repair them too. One said the prices that he charges just went up 40%. I said, that's kind of high is it not? He said, let them find someone else for less.
wolfman18
I bought one last November. Went and looked at it the day it was listed. Put in an offer that night and it was 18k over asking. Accepted the next day.

Thankfully, it appraised on the dot.
barnburner
I will agree buying a home is difficult right now as there is no supply. As others have mentioned....,multiple offers over asking and selling within 3 days. It is crazy!
TheStorm
wolfman18 said:

I bought one last November. Went and looked at it the day it was listed. Put in an offer that night and it was 18k over asking. Accepted the next day.

Thankfully, it appraised on the dot.
Hell, people don't even care if they appraise anymore and are just coming out of pocket to make up the difference... and if you "know" you want that house, don't bother wasting any money on an inspection because you aren't getting anything re-negotiated anymore... they'll just sell it to the next person in line and probably get more money!
IseWolf22
Am hoping to upgrade to a bigger house within the triangle in the next year or so. Probably with double the budget of the current house. Will be interesting to watch the housing market and see how things go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.