Perseverance Landing Thursday

4,777 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dogplasma
gtman49
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How bout we switch it up with some positivity? Any of you space geeks like me may enjoy this live stream for Thursday. Looking forward to this and new images from the surface assuming they make it down safely. Rover is carrying a drone for an attempt at the first powered flight on another planet. Fun times!

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8857/nasa-invites-public-to-share-thrill-of-mars-perseverance-rover-landing/

https://mars.nasa.gov/system/video_items/5977_Perseverance_Arrives_at_Mars-1920.m4v
dogplasma
Damn that's a cool photo! Wish they could somehow video a sky crane landing from the ground. Maybe drop a protected GoPro 360 ahead of the landing like I've read they may do on the moon in the future. At any rate, I think we'll soon have enough rovers on Mars for an international rally car race if Tianwen-1 survives.
GuerrillaPack
Lol

NASA is some of the best comedy
dogplasma
Oh look, it's round.
GuerrillaPack
dogplasma said:

Oh look, it's round.

These "pictures" are just as "real" as the ones of the "globe earth".
gtman49
packwest
Hold on, do people still believe NASA and moon landings and Mars rovers are fake? Is that a thing?
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

Murphy vs. NCAA, 594 U.S. ____ (2021)
GuerrillaPack
bsorry11 said:

Hold on, do people still believe NASA and moon landings and Mars rovers are fake? Is that a thing?

I don't understand how anyone can think they are real.
dogplasma
:\. Hasn't there already been a comprehensive thread on flat earth conspiracy theories?
packwest
GuerrillaPack said:

bsorry11 said:

You mind letting us have this one? We'll acknowledge that you don't believe it happened for the record and we can discuss in peace.
"The NCAA's business model would be flatly illegal in almost every other industry in America...The NCAA is not above the law."

GuerrillaPack
dogplasma said:

:\. Hasn't there already been a comprehensive thread on flat earth conspiracy theories?

I didn't bring up that subject. YOU did. So you are complaining about yourself. I'm content to stay on the topic of this fake "Mars landing".
GuerrillaPack
bsorry11 said:

GuerrillaPack said:

bsorry11 said:

You mind letting us have this one? We'll acknowledge that you don't believe it happened for the record and we can discuss in peace.

What's so horrible about allowing people to disagree with your view? I can't express my own opinion on this subject? This thread has to be a "safe space" for those who believe NASA?

I'm not stopping you from discussing this.
packwest
Back to what I came to this thread to discuss/post:

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8867/nasas-mars-helicopter-reports-in/

I'm really interested to see if JPL can figure out how to fly a helicopter in the Martian atmosphere. That will really speed up exploration and be beneficial to folks that land there in the future.

Civilized
bsorry11 said:

I'm really interested to see if JPL can figure out how to fly a helicopter in the Martian atmosphere. That will really speed up exploration and be beneficial to folks that land there in the future.

Obviously a much less dense atmosphere; I guess it's still sufficiently dense to allow for winged or rotor flight?
packwest
Civilized said:

bsorry11 said:

Obviously a much less dense atmosphere; I guess it's still sufficiently dense to allow for winged or rotor flight?

Not an aerospace engineer, but read an article where it's about 1/10th our density. Dual rotor design is supposed to overcome it. But engineers are unsure how the Martian dust will impact the gears.

dogplasma
The drone must be extremely light. The atmospheric pressure on Mars is less than 1% of sea level on earth, which is like an altitude of almost 30 miles on earth. It sounds like they're not going to fly the drone for another month or so. It's solar powered, so a max of 90 second flights is what I read.
barnburner
I have not seen anywhere but what happens to the part that placed the lander. Does it go back or does it head off toward the sun?
dogplasma
It flies off and crash lands somewhere nearby!
Wolfer79
dogplasma
This photo is from the Curiosity landing in 2012. There's no scale but it says on the website that the skycrane crashed a little less than half a mile from the rover.
dogplasma
Check this out! A full movie of the Perseverance landing. Wow.

Steve Williams
Staff
That was really cool.
Civilized
That's so awesome. I know it's not the same as one giant leap for mankind but how can you appreciate engineering and not get chills when the rover touches down and the entry team cheers.

That thing navigated 2 million miles of cold dark space and then we're watching HD video of it touching down.

Incredible!
dogplasma
Mars panorama

dogplasma
Mars sound effects (spoiler alert: Not quite as dramatic as the descent video)

Wolfer79
caryking
That landing video is awesome!! I'm happy for the people at the end of the video. Their excitement was really cool!!

BTW, what was the delay from the actual landing and the video confirmation. We're we seeing that live or a small delay (thinking there has to be a delay in the video transfer from Mars to Earth).
packwest
5-20 minute delay for radio signals:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/spacecraft/rover/communications/#:~:text=It%20generally%20takes%20about%205,Earth%2C%20depending%20on%20planet%20positions.

I bet it's much longer for high definition video.

dogplasma
I think there was an eleven minute communication delay durning the landing. That's just the distance between the planets divided by the speed of light (or radio waves). For the video above they stitched the landing video together with the audio from mission control to match the commentary with the visual.
Steve Williams
Staff
The fact we're getting this kind of video and photos from another planet is incredible to me.
GuerrillaPack
If anyone is interested in hearing what those such as myself believe about this, here is an excellent, short presentation by Eric Dubay:

"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
gtman49
^So you guys believe that Earth is the only planet?
GuerrillaPack
gtman49 said:

The opposite. We don't believe the earth is a planet at all. We believe the earth is a vast flat plane. And that the stars and planets are lights in the sky fixed within a "firmament" dome structure (as described in the book of Genesis).

We believe that the earth is completely fixed, and not moving (also as explicitly stated in the Bible), and that it is the sun, moon, and stars which move around the earth. There have been numerous scientific experiments done conclusively proving that the earth is completely motionless - not spinning or flying through space. Also, real science demonstrates that there is no observable "curvature" to the earth.

We completely reject the heliocentric , "Big Bang" model/theory of cosmology - of the earth being a speck of dust that is flying through an infinitely large universe, and that everything that exists is this big cosmic "accident" after an explosion billions of years ago. That is all a gigantic Satanic lie concocted by Freemasons and other enemies of God.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Civilized
GuerrillaPack said:

gtman49 said:

The opposite. We don't believe the earth is a planet at all. We believe the earth is a vast flat plane. And that the stars and planets are lights in the sky fixed within a "firmament" dome structure (as described in the book of Genesis).

We believe that the earth is completely fixed, and not moving (also as explicitly stated in the Bible), and that it is the sun, moon, and stars which move around the earth. There have been numerous scientific experiments done conclusively proving that the earth is completely motionless - not spinning or flying through space. Also, real science demonstrates that there is no observable "curvature" to the earth.

I'm asking this question knowing I shouldn't distract from this great thread but I was thinking about this in the shower yesterday or day before.

Presumably you've not attended a shuttle launch or other manned space flight launch?

But you could, and if you would you'd see people walk to the launch craft, get on the vehicle, and ride a rocket up in the sky until you can't see them anymore.

Why don't they hit the dome? Where are they hanging out for days/weeks before returning to earth, if not in space?
AlleyPack
Can we please not glut up this thread -- and simply start a new one instead if you guys want to "debate" round vs. flat?
Thanks
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.