Unity - As spoken by Biden

1,686 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by waynecountywolf
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is for our Democratic/Liberal/Progressive members to chime in first.

Biden did speak eloquently about unity in his inauguration speech. The question I have: where do you see all of us unifying?

BBW, packgrad, and others, please let those being addressed answer the question. Once they have, we can all use examples of why we can get unity and why we can't...

I really think this is a good exercise for all of us to debate without the vitriol we typically have (including myself).
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
FlossyDFlynt
It starts with the easiest thing we can do: listen instead of talk. Shouting at everything will make sure nothing gets accomplished.

You are allowed to disagree with others without insulting them. Its not hard

Stop saying every single person who votes Republican is a fascist Nazi. Stop saying every Democrat is a communist revolutionary

I truly believe 90% of the people in this country are doing just fine. The five percent extremist on both sides are currently just the loudest children in the room. Both sides need to send them to time out for a bit
caryking
FlossyDFlynt said:

It starts with the easiest thing we can do: listen instead of talk. Shouting at everything will make sure nothing gets accomplished.

You are allowed to disagree with others without insulting them. Its not hard

Stop saying every single person who votes Republican is a fascist Nazi. Stop saying every Democrat is a communist revolutionary

I truly believe 90% of the people in this country are doing just fine. The five percent extremist on both sides are currently just the loudest children in the room. Both sides need to send them to time out for a bit
Thanks for the response; however, I was looking for areas of unity. Specific areas of unity is what Biden was referring to; so, lets get talking about Unity, according to Biden.

Using "shouting" as an example is just noise, my opinion. This country has significant disagreements in the way forward. Where are we supposed to find Unity?
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
ncsualum05
The problem is the democrats are not planning to govern nor have they ever governed the country with unity or American prosperity in mind.
ncsualum05
You can't have unity... that's BS. You have one party and a lot of their constituents who believe that America is a horrible country and deserves to decline. They want to destroy it or at least transform it.

Issues should traditionally have some compromise and input from both parties.

But how can you compromise on getting rid of border security, allowing millions to come in while giving amnesty to 10s of millions. There's a reason congress never gets anything done on immigration. And never mind that the old laws on the books aren't bad but no one follows them anymore. They are now ignored for the newest administrations executive order or a sanctuary city policy.

Every major issue is like that.
Pack00
One does not accomplish Unity by going after and attaching your political opponent and the 75 million people who voted for him. The Democrats have been trying to label Trump and his supporters at Domestic Terrorists since (really before) January 6th.
BBW12OG
I'll refrain from commenting. I'll just leave this and let the ones from the other side of the aisle explain just exactly what "unity" means to them. It sure isn't bowing down to the the whims of..........................

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pelosi-claims-enemy-house-representatives/story?id=75538842
BBW12OG
More "unity" from the left..... I'm guessing next they will be proposing a "white tax bracket." I mean, hell, we are already seeing special treatment for minorities across the country when it comes to names of buildings, statues, etc.... even the ones that had NOTHING to do with slavery. We have a generation that is wanting reverse discrimination to be the norm.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/us/new-york-vaccine-disparities/index.html
grandpack1
I have come to believe that our real enemy is our two party system. All the republicans want is for us to hate democrats and all democrats want is for us to hate republicans. And each want it so they can gain power. They do not want unity. They want everyone to unify with their position. That to them is unity and both parties feel that way. They want us divided before they agree on an issue. And the funny thing is that candidates are not allowed to be in a party and have a mind of their own. Can you imagine a republican saying that he strongly wants gun control. Or to fight hard for a strong clean air act. Can you imagine a democrat saying that he is anti union or against abortion. They would get astracized by their own party and never have a chance to be elected. Heck. none of them can have a mind or an opinion of their own. All they want is the power. I think if you want unity. You will fight to have our two party system outlawed and lets vote for individuals that have a mind of their own and are willing to step forward and speak it honestly and fight for what they really believe. I believe that there has not been a candidate that is representative of the majority of the people in America. That is why the last two elections have been decided by people choosing the lesser of the two evils. Get used to that. I long to have a candidate that I am truly excited to support and vote for. Been a long time sense that has happened.
acslater1344
Well this is going well
caryking
acslater1344 said:

Well this is going well
Not going the way I would have hoped. Remember the question asked:

Biden did speak eloquently about unity in his inauguration speech. The question I have: where do you see all of us unifying?

Most response have been complaining, accusing, or any other thing, other than opportunity for unity.
BBW12OG
I don't see anything other than, God forbid, a major disaster natural or other, and even then I don't see it uniting this country for more than one news cycle. (12-24 hours)

One side is handing out vaccines to terrorist, opening the borders, turning our energy independence over to the Middle East, putting hundreds of thousands out of work and telling us "it's for our own good."

What is there to be unified about?
grandpack1
Pine. I think everyone has answered your question. Just not the answers you wanted. The answer is. With his attitude and what he is doing, there is no place that we will find unity. He talks of it but his actions are sending a message that he doesnt really care about unity. If you wanted to ask the question, then you need to be prepared for the answer. And no I was not a fan of President Trump either. If you wanted to state where you thought there was a chance for unity, then you should have just gone ahead and stated what you thought.
waynecountywolf
BBW12OG said:

I don't see anything other than, God forbid, a major disaster natural or other, and even then I don't see it uniting this country for more than one news cycle. (12-24 hours)

One side is handing out vaccines to terrorist, opening the borders, turning our energy independence over to the Middle East, putting hundreds of thousands out of work and telling us "it's for our own good."

What is there to be unified about?
It sure wasnt the current pandemic.(does that count as a disaster?)
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.