Taxing issue between New Hampshire and Massachusetts

2,346 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by IseWolf22
caryking
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Read this and provide some thoughts...

https://townhall.com/columnists/jeffjacoby/2021/01/18/why-new-hampshire-is-suing-massachusetts-n2583281
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
FlossyDFlynt
Not a chance the Massachusetts law is allowed once it gets to federal court. They literally have no leg to stand on. As someone who "works" for a company out of state, it would be a nightmare if I had to file in every single state where I had "work" (for reference, my company is based in Kansas City and my clients have sites all over the country, and I work out of Raleigh)
PackBacker07
Athletes and entertainers have to do this. Why wouldn't other professions?
Y'all means ALL.
packgrad
PackBacker07 said:

Perhaps you should have read the article. They are not working in Massachusetts.

"Through its unprecedented action," the New Hampshire brief argues, "Massachusetts has unilaterally imposed an income tax within New Hampshire that New Hampshire, in its sovereign discretion, has deliberately chosen not to impose."
packgrad
FlossyDFlynt
PackBacker07 said:

It would absolutely destroy business, that's why.
hokiewolf
Takes the whole "United States" thing and basically turns it into 50 individual countries
IseWolf22
FlossyDFlynt said:

Not a chance the Massachusetts law is allowed once it gets to federal court. They literally have no leg to stand on. As someone who "works" for a company out of state, it would be a nightmare if I had to file in every single state where I had "work" (for reference, my company is based in Kansas City and my clients have sites all over the country, and I work out of Raleigh)
Yeah I don't think MA will get very far with this. I expect NH to win easily
caryking
hokiewolf said:

Takes the whole "United States" thing and basically turns it into 50 individual countries
What does a country have? Statehood. What did Israel get in 1948? Statehood. What are we? A uniting of States for several defined common things. The structure for implementing the defined common things are outlined throughout the Constitution. The powers of the uniting of the States are listed in the Constitution under Article 1, Section 8.

So, your point is, in some degree, very accurately defining Federalism. Federalism is truly what the USA is supposed to be.
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
dogplasma
This isn't an issue that I've had to deal with myself, but I thought that if someone lived in one state but worked (remotely) for an office located in another state, taxes were often withheld in the state where the office was located. I know the rules vary by state, but Is that not fairly common?
Oldsouljer
I'd also argue that the Mass revenue dept is in effect, levying a tax, something only their legislature should be able to do, not that the legislature could get way with it either.
PackBacker07
I read it, thanks. I believe this isn't as cut and dry as you believe.
Y'all means ALL.
IseWolf22
dogplasma said:

This isn't an issue that I've had to deal with myself, but I thought that if someone lived in one state but worked (remotely) for an office located in another state, taxes were often withheld in the state where the office was located. I know the rules vary by state, but Is that not fairly common?
I used to travel for work. Usually I'd have 3 to 4 state returns to do each year.

Taxes were assessed based on the number of hours I worked at each location. Remote hours counted at my home office state only if it totaled less than 2 weeks. Longer and I'd have to report hours in that state too.

At my current job, some people have temporarily moved across the country since we are all WFH right now. HR has spent a lot of time tracking everyone's current address to make sure they are paying taxes for the state they are physically working in.
FlossyDFlynt
IseWolf22 said:

dogplasma said:

I used to travel for work. Usually I'd have 3 to 4 state returns to do each year.

Taxes were assessed based on the number of hours I worked at each location. Remote hours counted at my home office state only if it totaled less than 2 weeks. Longer and I'd have to report hours in that state too.

At my current job, some people have temporarily moved across the country since we are all WFH right now. HR has spent a lot of time tracking everyone's current address to make sure they are paying taxes for the state they are physically working in.
Were you an independent contractor? I traveled for seven out of the last ten years or so (current position still requires it, but current client does not which is why I havent really been on the road the last three to four years) and never had to file in another state. For me, it was over two jobs, both W2. This thread had me looking and I have hit around 30 different states over the years for work and never had to worry about filing in each individually.
IseWolf22
FlossyDFlynt said:

IseWolf22 said:

dogplasma said:

Were you an independent contractor? I traveled for seven out of the last ten years or so (current position still requires it, but current client does not which is why I havent really been on the road the last three to four years) and never had to file in another state. For me, it was over two jobs, both W2. This thread had me looking and I have hit around 30 different states over the years for work and never had to worry about filing in each individually.

I worked for a consulting company with offices all over. I'd usually be working for 2-3 clients a year who were in different locations, plus I worked out of the home office in charlotte
FlossyDFlynt
Interesting. Sounds like a similar setup to mine, but I have never had to pay a different states taxes with the exception of the year I moved back to NC from Missouri. My current office is in Springfield, MO, but I am considered a remote employee, so my "home office" is literally my house. I wonder if the issue is that I dont get direct compensation from my clients.
IseWolf22
FlossyDFlynt said:

Interesting. Sounds like a similar setup to mine, but I have never had to pay a different states taxes with the exception of the year I moved back to NC from Missouri. My current office is in Springfield, MO, but I am considered a remote employee, so my "home office" is literally my house. I wonder if the issue is that I dont get direct compensation from my clients.

I'm not really sure. I was at a "Big 4" with tens of thousands of employees flying across the country from various offices to client sites all over.

Income also got adjusted to "equalize" you tax burden. For example being based in NC, I worked in Chicago for awhile and due to the increased taxes in Illinois, I got an adjustment. My time in Dallas went the other way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.