Stimulus bill

9,959 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by caryking
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Trying to make sense of this

Also included in the massive omnibus package is $700 million in aid for Sudan; $135 million for Burma; $1.3 million in military assistance for Egypt; $506 million for Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama as part of the Central America Regional Security Initiative; and much more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/foreign-aid-government-funding-package-coronavirus-relief-uproar.amp?client=safari
Ground_Chuck
Its the omnibus bill plus covid relief. Don't confuse the omnibus parts with the covid parts.
Ground_Chuck
Steve Williams said:

Trying to make sense of this

Also included in the massive omnibus package is $700 million in aid for Sudan; $135 million for Burma; $1.3 million in military assistance for Egypt; $506 million for Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama as part of the Central America Regional Security Initiative; and much more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/foreign-aid-government-funding-package-coronavirus-relief-uproar.amp?client=safari

741B in military spending is also included.
statefan91
Ground_Chuck said:

Its the omnibus bill plus covid relief. Don't confuse the omnibus parts with the covid parts.
To that point, it is insane the amount of money that is spent on other countries and then the most Congress can muster is $600 for citizens.

SupplyChainPack
Ground_Chuck said:

First of all - let's not try that - this is, and always has been peddled to the public as a "covid relief" bill. Don't play games with the terminology now. This is being sold to Ma and Pa Kettle as a "covid relief" bill. Let's just have some honesty please.

Secondly - no matter what name is put on it - the insane things that are in this bill cannot be justified by anybody. This is true at any time - but even more so for a country that's been under forced lock down for the better part of a year.

Millions for gender identity programs in Pakistan? You serious, Clark?
RunsWithWolves26
Saw something on Facebook yesterday that was funny but sad. It said "We just paid congress $130,000 to work 9 months to give us $600." I mean, I ain't about government handouts but damn, we are worse off in numbers now then earlier this year and they basically said who cares, we are cutting yours in half.
SupplyChainPack
A good read.....

9 Things You Need to Know About $2.3 Trillion Fiscal Year 2021 Omnibus (dailysignal.com)

caryking
I may be alone on this; however, for different reasons, I disagree with this bill.

• Federal Government should not be picking up the pieces of State issues
  • Don't see a power in the constitution for this
  • Politicians can't help themselves with the spending
  • What the heck is with the spending not related to COVID?

This is a perfect example of why my political beliefs are closer to Libertarian than anything else. The following are the people that voted "No" on the bill.

Marcia Blackburn of Tennessee
Ted Cruz of Texas
Mike Lee of Utah
Rand Paul of Kentucky
Rick Scott of Florida
No Democrats
On the illegal or criminal immigrants…

“they built the country, the reason our economy is growing”

Joe Biden
wilmwolf
$600. It's no jelly of the month club for sure.
Pacfanweb
wilmwolf80 said:

It's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year
RunsWithWolves26
Appears Trump ain't to happy about signing it.
tuffy1006
I hate our government so much. They all need to be shot for treason so we can start over with fresh new faces. Term limits too btw
FlossyDFlynt
Watching Pelosi talk about how 600 bucks is a "significant" amount for a working family makes my blood boil
caryking
FlossyDFlynt said:

Watching Pelosi talk about how 600 bucks is a "significant" amount for a working family makes my blood boil
I get it...

Remember, a lot of Republicans voted yes to this bill. Pelosi is a mess; but, actions speak louder than words. So, consider your blood boiling towards everyone that voted yes.

Joe Biden
BBW12OG
FlossyDFlynt said:

If any one epitomizes today's democrat party it is here. She has zero self awareness and could care less about the "American People." She is a power hungry liberal and wants nothing but to have total control over people, their lives, their buying decisions and their day to day activities. She is nothing more than a wannabe dictator. The lemmings that call themselves democrats do nothing but fall in line. It's easier for the uneducated voter to be told how to vote and what they should support than to actually do research and formulate their own opinions with facts. American voters on the left have always been and will always be the laziest voters in the entire world. FACT. As far as the bill that is being discussed, it's full of leftist bullshate. Over $4 billion in help for vanity projects. Smithsonian, Gender Studies, foreign aid, money to acknowledge a "fraudulent" election in Belarus. The exact same thing that President Trump is claiming happened here democrats DEMANDED that it be included in the bill. Again, if the word "hypocrisy" isn't a synonym for "democrat" there has never been one. The party's introduction guide once they enter political office is "Animal Farm" and they are the pigs!
caryking
BBW12OG said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

If any one epitomizes today's democrat party it is here. She has zero self awareness and could care less about the "American People." She is a power hungry liberal and wants nothing but to have total control over people, their lives, their buying decisions and their day to day activities. She is nothing more than a wannabe dictator. The lemmings that call themselves democrats do nothing but fall in line. It's easier for the uneducated voter to be told how to vote and what they should support than to actually do research and formulate their own opinions with facts. American voters on the left have always been and will always be the laziest voters in the entire world. FACT. As far as the bill that is being discussed, it's full of leftist bullshate. Over $4 billion in help for vanity projects. Smithsonian, Gender Studies, foreign aid, money to acknowledge a "fraudulent" election in Belarus. The exact same thing that President Trump is claiming happened here democrats DEMANDED that it be included in the bill. Again, if the word "hypocrisy" isn't a synonym for "democrat" there has never been one. The party's introduction guide once they enter political office is "Animal Farm" and they are the pigs!
I get your frustration and agree Nancy is power hungry. I will ask you to remember, plenty of Republicans voted for this awful bill.

Joe Biden
IseWolf22
There are tons of issues with this bill because of how many different things were crammed in, and the fact that it was released just hours before the vote.

This was negotiated between Pelosi, McConnel and the whitehouse. The bill was not public to other members of congress to read and give feedback. There was no debate and amendments could not be offered.
Congress is broken because we've allowed the House Speaker and Senate Majority leader to use procedural rules to concentrate power in their hands. Congress was meant to be a deliberative body, not something run by only a few people in leadership of the majority party.
caryking
IseWolf22 said:

There are tons of issues with this bill because of how many different things were crammed in, and the fact that it was released just hours before the vote.

This was negotiated between Pelosi, McConnel and the whitehouse. The bill was not public to other members of congress to read and give feedback. There was no debate and amendments could not be offered.
Congress is broken because we've allowed the House Speaker and Senate Majority leader to use procedural rules to concentrate power in their hands. Congress was meant to be a deliberative body, not something run by only a few people in leadership of the majority party.
I agree with you; however, does the constitution lay those rules out or are the rules developed by each chamber?

Joe Biden
FlossyDFlynt
pineknollshoresking said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I get it...

Remember, a lot of Republicans voted yes to this bill. Pelosi is a mess; but, actions speak louder than words. So, consider your blood boiling towards everyone that voted yes.
I can count the number of members of congress I actually like on one hand. I despise pretty much every one of them. Pelosi is just top of the **** heap
SupplyChainPack
Sounds like Trump may not sign this monstrosity. I surely hope that he doesn't.
IseWolf22

IseWolf22 said:

I agree with you; however, does the constitution lay those rules out or are the rules developed by each chamber?
They are procedural rules within each chamber. The constitution gives congress a lot of leeway on how to conduct it's own business. The next congress can change the rules back if leadership allows it to be voted on. Permanent reforms would require a constitutional amendment.
SupplyChainPack
FlossyDFlynt said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I get it...

I can count the number of members of congress I actually like on one hand. I despise pretty much every one of them. Pelosi is just top of the **** heap

The last four years have been eye-opening, that's for sure.

Not that politicians don't lie, don't tell us what we want to hear without ever intending to follow-up, that most business is done behind closed doors, and that most politicians and judges are corrupt.

We already knew that.

But the almost total nature of the takeover of our government - the scale and scope - of the corruption - which is almost total - and includes the unelected bureaucrats - it is almost everyone up there.

caryking
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

They are procedural rules within each chamber. The constitution gives congress a lot of leeway on how to conduct it's own business. The next congress can change the rules back if leadership allows it to be voted on. Permanent reforms would require a constitutional amendment.
Correct. My point of asking was to point out the the Constitution gives a lot of freedom for each Chamber to set it rules.

By you saying that the chambers were meant to be deliberative body's is missing one key understanding. We are talking about Man and the failings of man. Men are power hungry! You will not change that failing of Man.

If we were truly following the Constitution, we would never (potentially) see these types of bills. Hopefully, Trump vetos this thing, as per his video last night, and we start over with the true context of the bill.

Joe Biden
caryking
SupplyChainPack said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I get it...

The last four years have been eye-opening, that's for sure.

Not that politicians don't lie, don't tell us what we want to hear without ever intending to follow-up, that most business is done behind closed doors, and that most politicians and judges are corrupt.

We already knew that.

But the almost total nature of the takeover of our government - the scale and scope - of the corruption - which is almost total - and includes the unelected bureaucrats - it is almost everyone up there.

And consider how many people from the CCP are controlling these people...

Joe Biden
SupplyChainPack
Yep.

There are so many problems that could be solved with just a few sentences here and there written in the Constitution.

Sadly, without them in place now - they will never be written.

Don't get me wrong - it's virtually impossible for good men to make a government from wicked, power-hungry men who have 250 years to find a way around the limits on their power - but with a few extra sentences - it could be much harder for today's evil men to operate with the impunity that they currently do.
caryking
SupplyChainPack said:

Yep.

There are so many problems that could be solved with just a few sentences here and there written in the Constitution.

Sadly, without them in place now - they will never be written.

Don't get me wrong - it's virtually impossible for good men to make a government from wicked, power-hungry men who have 250 years to find a way around the limits on their power - but with a few extra sentences - it could be much harder for today's evil men to operate with the impunity that they currently do.
Agree!!!

Joe Biden
BBW12OG
Pelosi is worth in excess of $145 million dollars. She's been in Washington making a House of Rep salary. Any questions where her loyalties are? I'm not saying she's the only one. But she is by far, along with that shrew Maxine Waters, that are prime examples of why we need term limits for both parties. The additions to the bill were SOLELY demanded by the democrats. The GOP wanted a clean stimulus bill. The democrats know/knew the only way to get their vanity projects in was to hijack the bill that was meant to help the American people. Why the hell do we care about Pakistan gender issues? Hell, half the idiots in this country think there are no genders. The party of science.....
caryking
BBW12OG said:

Pelosi is worth in excess of $145 million dollars. She's been in Washington making a House of Rep salary. Any questions where her loyalties are? I'm not saying she's the only one. But she is by far, along with that shrew Maxine Waters, that are prime examples of why we need term limits for both parties. The additions to the bill were SOLELY demanded by the democrats. The GOP wanted a clean stimulus bill. The democrats know/knew the only way to get their vanity projects in was to hijack the bill that was meant to help the American people. Why the hell do we care about Pakistan gender issues? Hell, half the idiots in this country think there are no genders. The party of science.....

I think you and I are agreeing here... my only problem with your statement is the Republican Party. They should stand up and scream about this mess. They didn't! Most of them voted with Pelosi and McConnel.

You and I know that both parties are bought and paid for by outside money. If not, why did they vote yes, except for six senators? Not sure about the house...

Democrats would not get their way if Republicans unified and said "No"! That should tell you something about the Republicans.

Unfortunately, it takes Trump to create a video calling out the crap. Rand Paul did it on the floor of the Senate.

Joe Biden
Ground_Chuck
BBW12OG said:

If the GOP wanted a clean bill, why can't the Senate pass one?

IseWolf22

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Correct. My point of asking was to point out the the Constitution gives a lot of freedom for each Chamber to set it rules.

By you saying that the chambers were meant to be deliberative body's is missing one key understanding. We are talking about Man and the failings of man. Men are power hungry! You will not change that failing of Man.

If we were truly following the Constitution, we would never (potentially) see these types of bills. Hopefully, Trump vetos this thing, as per his video last night, and we start over with the true context of the bill.
There is nothing in the constitution to prevent the sham legislative process we have right now.

Our government needs structural reforms to modernize. But those reforms should be pursued via constitutional amendment. The burden in passing an amendment is so high that it will ensure reform is bipartisan and largely fair
statefan91
BBW12OG said:

Her husband is in real estate and venture capital.

Mitch McConnell's wife, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, is worth $30MM+ and her family is even wealthier. I agree that it's not good to have the ultra-wealthy making decisions for average Americans.
SupplyChainPack
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

There is nothing in the constitution to prevent the sham legislative process we have right now.

Our government needs structural reforms to modernize. But those reforms should be pursued via constitutional amendment. The burden in passing an amendment is so high that it will ensure reform is bipartisan and largely fair

Or when you have such widespread corruption as we have now, that no good reforms ever take place.

It's not the founders fault - you just can't write a document that fully covers future generations when those future generations turn out to be populated largely by godless, lying, self-indulgent, easily-led morons.
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

caryking
IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Our structure is perfectly fine. The problem is you, me, and everyone else. We keep electing these people. We need to work harder to elect new representatives.

It's easy to blame someone, something, or anything other than ourselves. Look at yourself first for change!

Joe Biden
AlleyPack

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Our structure is perfectly fine. The problem is you, me, and everyone else. We keep electing these people. We need to work harder to elect new representatives.

It's easy to blame someone, something, or anything other than ourselves. Look at yourself first for change!

Honestly, though -- would whomever they are running against in any given year/election be any different?
Every candidate is essentially a "career politician". You don't reach that point without having a certain mindset... a mindset that does NOT have "the best interest of the people" at the forefront.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.