Ginsburg RIP

13,378 Views | 134 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Civilized
Cthepack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sad news.
Glasswolf
Very sad indeed
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

FlossyDFlynt
Just saw this. RIP to a fantastic American that broke barriers. She served her country with distinction and should be honored.

Im just gonna log of Twitter and go live in the woods for the next couple months now
Civilized
Such a smart, feisty, talented, trailblazing woman.

Her incredibly close friendship with bench rival Antonin Scalia said as much about her as her shrewd convictions.

RIP to an awesome lady.
cowboypack02
This is a sad thing. I was glad to read that she was surrounded by her family when she passed away
IseWolf22
FlossyDFlynt said:

Just saw this. RIP to a fantastic American that broke barriers. She served her country with distinction and should be honored.

Im just gonna log of Twitter and go live in the woods for the next couple months now

I second all of this
PackBacker07
RIP to a truly great American. I hope she gets the recognition she deserves instead of everyone immediately diving into the vacant seat.
Y'all means ALL.
RunsWithWolves26
Didn't agree with her views on many things but admired her for standing firm in defense of them. RIP Justice. Hate this is going to start another **** storm in DC. 2020 can just go straight to hell.
Bas2020
Just another reason for losers to RIOT !!!!!!

RIP Ruth . Long filling life she lived . Go watch an Opera with Scilia in the sky...
PackBacker07
Yes, I'm afraid the next 60 days or whatever are going to descend us into another layer of hell we didn't think possible.
Y'all means ALL.
GoPack2008
PackBacker07 said:

Yes, I'm afraid the next 60 days or whatever are going to descend us into another layer of hell we didn't think possible.

Agreed with both of you.

RIP to a pioneer and a giant.
Pacfanweb
IseWolf22 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

I second all of this
Same.

She was one of a kind, no doubt.
packgrad
While I disagreed with many of her beliefs, she served her country well. RIP.

A nice reaction from the president.

Bas2020
Amy Barrett has already been vetted .

Dems would look idiotic attacking her with fervor like they did with Brett K but they will do it anyways .

GoPack2008
Bas2020 said:

Amy Barrett has already been vetted .

Dems would look idiotic attacking her with fervor like they did with Brett K but they will do it anyways .

The pushback will come because of what McConnell did with Merrick Garland. It will seem duplicitous.
GoPack2008
https://www.npr.org/2016/02/15/466848775/scalia-ginsburg-opera-commemorates-sparring-supreme-court-friendship

Worth a read again. We need more of this today.
packgrad
FlossyDFlynt
Im going to go ahead and state I think they should hold off and wait until after the election to put forth a nomination. I dont think they will, but I think they should. I also think it would be beneficial for Republicans to wait, which is exactly why I think they wont.

Gonna go back to my bourbon now
packgrad
Agreed.
GoPack2008
packgrad said:

Agreed.

We are all in agreement tonight.
cowboypack02
Yeah...I'm not in agreement with that at all.

Here's how I look at if emotionally: The democrats have already said that if they take the senate they will get rid of the filibuster, create two new states in DC and PR for the 4 new senators, and the finally pack the courts. F them and fill the seat and after the stunt that was pulled with Kavanaugh last year there should be no hearings...straight up and down vote.

Here's how logical side of me thinks:. The democrats have already said that they are going to challenge the result of the election if they don't win. With the PA supreme court doing things like removing candidates from the ballot and changing the dates that ballots can be received the Republicans are going to sue as well. We need to have the supreme court sitting all 9 members to hear such cases.

Finally...because I know someone is going to bring up not sitting a new justice during an election year I have included this article below for you to read before commenting

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/08/history-is-on-the-side-of-republicans-filling-a-supreme-court-vacancy-in-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

Bas2020
"Elections have consequences"

- Barack Hussein Obama
caryking
No way in hell would the Democrats not select and confirm a person, for the court, if the roles were reversed. I know what the Republicans said, regarding Merrit Garland; however, they controlled the senate. If the dems controlled the senate, he would be on the court right now.

It is what it is...
GoPack2008
cowboypack02 said:

Yeah...I'm not in agreement with that at all.

Here's how I look at if emotionally: The democrats have already said that if they take the senate they will get rid of the filibuster, create two new states in DC and PR for the 4 new senators, and the finally pack the courts. F them and fill the seat and after the stunt that was pulled with Kavanaugh last year there should be no hearings...straight up and down vote.

Here's how logical side of me thinks:. The democrats have already said that they are going to challenge the result of the election if they don't win. With the PA supreme court doing things like removing candidates from the ballot and changing the dates that ballots can be received the Republicans are going to sue as well. We need to have the supreme court sitting all 9 members to hear such cases.

Finally...because I know someone is going to bring up not sitting a new justice during an election year I have included this article below for you to read before commenting

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/08/history-is-on-the-side-of-republicans-filling-a-supreme-court-vacancy-in-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

Just stop for now.
cowboypack02
Stop what?

You guys gave your opinion and I gave mine...what's wrong with that?
cowboypack02
caryking said:

No way in hell would the Democrats not select and confirm a person, for the court, if the roles were reversed. I know what the Republicans said, regarding Merrit Garland; however, they controlled the senate. If the dems controlled the senate, he would be on the court right now.

It is what it is...

The article I included above hits just on that topic. Worth a read
ciscopack
To me the Supreme Court should have 13 members..... 4 Libs. - 4 Conserve and 5 Mods. but who determines who is what? Mostly those people are fair however....Ginsberg's best friend in the court was her total opposite and they were great friends.

Like many pals, Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg could have a pretty good argument now and then, but not let it affect their close friendship.

During their time together on the United States Supreme Court, Justice Scalia, a staunch conservative, and Justice Ginsburg, a staunch liberal, rarely found themselves on the same side of controversial issues. But in an era when political divisions drive many in Washington apart on a personal level, their disagreements remained intellectual.

"We were best buddies," Ginsburg wrote after Scalia died on Saturday. The two first served together in the early 1980s on the federal circuit court in Washington, D.C., from which each was chosen to be nominated for the Supreme Court.

That's how things should be in America. Scalia loved Ginsburg's husband's cooking and the 2 couples got together very often and enjoyed each others company.

Ginsberg did a lot of great things in her life.
jadawson
ciscopack said:

Like many pals, Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg could have a pretty good argument now and then, but not let it affect their close friendship.

It's so incredibly sad that so many americans find this difficult these days. We should all take a note from these two people who were polar opposites in their interpretations of the constitution and case law and yet were very good friends to the end.
packgrad
Thanks for the article. I did not know about those precedents. Gives me a lot to think about.
FlossyDFlynt
jadawson said:

ciscopack said:

It's so incredibly sad that so many americans find this difficult these days. We should all take a note from these two people who were polar opposites in their interpretations of the constitution and case law and yet were very good friends to the end.
There are other examples of this as well. Michelle Obama and Ellen are both good friend with GWB. Its really not hard to look past ones political beliefs, yet so many people cant, for whatever close minded reason they have. I dont get it and its depressing
RunsWithWolves26
FlossyDFlynt said:

jadawson said:

ciscopack said:

There are other examples of this as well. Michelle Obama and Ellen are both good friend with GWB. Its really not hard to look past ones political beliefs, yet so many people cant, for whatever close minded reason they have. I dont get it and its depressing

IMO, a lot of that is due to the media telling people they shouldn't like one side or the other. The cast majority of people aren't going to take the time to research anything. They will believe what they are told and act accordingly.
FlossyDFlynt
RunsWithWolves26 said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

jadawson said:

ciscopack said:

IMO, a lot of that is due to the media telling people they shouldn't like one side or the other. The cast majority of people aren't going to take the time to research anything. They will believe what they are told and act accordingly.
I blame social media. When you can curate who you hear from, you sit in an echo chamber. Hardly anyone bothers to listen to others at this point. If all you hear are opinions that agree with your own, it only enforces those views. Its actually my biggest issue with Trump. For his entire career in business and politics, hes only surrounded himself with yes men/women.

The whole thing reminds me of one of my favorite sayings "If you think you are the smartest person in a room, you are in the wrong room."
packgrad
Social media is undoubtedly the cause of a lot of today's strife. The media has also made zero effort to hide its bias the last 20 years and has pretty much become propaganda.

An example. A tale of two headlines for Supreme Court Justices.

Civilized
packgrad said:

Social media is undoubtedly the cause of a lot of today's strife. The media has also made zero effort to hide its bias the last 20 years and has pretty much become propaganda.

An example. A tale of two headlines for Supreme Court Justices.

Those headlines are an accurate picture of the two justice's differing respective legacies.

Scalia was a very brash and powerful conservative voice. RBG, with her more understated personality and the second woman ever on the court, was a unique cultural trailblazer. Their personalities and legacies are very different.

The conservative Washington Times lead after Scalia's death:

"Antonin Scalia, the influential conservative and most provocative member of the Supreme Court, has died, leaving the high court without its conservative majority and setting up an ideological confrontation over his successor in the maelstrom of a presidential election year. "

After RBG's death:

"Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the second woman to sit on the high court and the first justice in modern times to become a cultural sensation, died Friday after more than a quarter-century on the court."

Nearly identical difference in tone to the Post.

packgrad
You see no difference in the headlines? Ok......
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.