Meal delivery plan?

1,778 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Steve Williams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Wondering if anyone's tried a meal delivery service like Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Etc? Any recommendations, advice? Me and the wife have been thinking about trying it out
packgrad
We did Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. Both good and both give cool new stuff to try. Ultimately dropped both because it became like a chore. sometimes we had to throw meals out that did not get cooked. We're not a family that plans meals for the week though. We tend to buy for a day or two at a time. We also like to eat out a lot, when restaurants are open. On the weekends we do a lot of grilling so that takes away three of the days for the meal plans.
Glasswolf
We did Hello Fresh. It's just a bit pricey but the meals are really good. Some of the Lowes Foods have some of their meals in the meat section if you want to try one out.
SupplyChainPack
Never tried them, but have been tempted to.

Good to hear peoples perspective that have done so.
FlossyDFlynt
Havent done one of the delivery ones, but have picked up some of the ones in Harris Teeter. Basically was looking for recipe ideas. Pretty good for what they are, but kind of pricey. I personally dont think I would go with a subscription just based on what others have said (I also live alone, so only feeding myself)
Mormad
We've done both. Doing hello fresh now. Good portions, easy to make, relatively healthy. We really like it.
Steve Williams
Staff
Mormad said:

We've done both. Doing hello fresh now. Good portions, easy to make, relatively healthy. We really like it.
How is the taste? Also, what does it run once you get past the intro price?
jkpackfan
I've been doing Freshly for about two weeks and they're all pretty good.
Mormad
I think the taste is really good. Good mix of burgers, chicken, fish and pasta. Their fish and their pasta dishes are always really good. Veggies are usually roasted in olive oil and salt. Lots of dishes with red pepper flakes or siracha if you want some heat. Can't talk price. That's the wife's deal. She orders it all, but she says it's reasonable for what you get since she doesn't have to shop for stuff or really plan meals other than pick from a list. She doesn't want to continually have to come up with some idea for dinner, and this food makes me feel like a chef to some extent when i prepare it. Put on some tunes, a glass of something tasty, and 45 minutes later you've got a good, balanced, easy meal.
Steve Williams
Staff
Mormad said:

I think the taste is really good. Good mix of burgers, chicken, fish and pasta. Their fish and their pasta dishes are always really good. Veggies are usually roasted in olive oil and salt. Lots of dishes with red pepper flakes or siracha if you want some heat. Can't talk price. That's the wife's deal. She orders it all, but she says it's reasonable for what you get since she doesn't have to shop for stuff or really plan meals other than pick from a list. She doesn't want to continually have to come up with some idea for dinner, and this food makes me feel like a chef to some extent when i prepare it. Put on some tunes, a glass of something tasty, and 45 minutes later you've got a good, balanced, easy meal.
Good deal. Thanks man.
packedout
we are on week 3 of hello fresh, so far so good. meals have been very good and usually enough for dinner and i'll have leftovers for lunch the next day. Wife said it comes out about $20 a meal. (i haven't checked on that, i just took her word for it)
Civilized
packedout said:

we are on week 3 of hello fresh, so far so good. meals have been very good and usually enough for dinner and i'll have leftovers for lunch the next day. Wife said it comes out about $20 a meal. (i haven't checked on that, i just took her word for it)

Interesting. How many people are eating each meal?
johntom
We've done Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. Both had good recipes that were easy to follow when we ordered. We've only done a couple of trial weeks for both though. Like someone else said, we mostly did it for new recipes.

We did look at paying for it a couple of times, but my biggest complaint was that the recipe options vary each week. Sometimes the recipes sounded really good and other weeks were meh for our taste. If I'm paying extra money I don't want to choose from 10 recipes that all just sound OK to me. It's just me and my fiance though so we have time to go to the store. If we had kids the delivery would obviously have more value to us.
ncsupack1
Meal plan wouldn't work for us. We plan day to day, we also do take out a lot. Wish we did a better job of meal prep.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

Meal plan wouldn't work for us. We plan day to day, we also do take out a lot. Wish we did a better job of meal prep.
When our kids were home, on Sunday afternoon my wife and I would plan and cook 4 meals for the weeknight. The fifth night was either a take out or family dining out night. Weekends were a judgement call as to whether or not I would grill or we'd just make a game time decision. Sunday nights, more often than not, was breakfast for supper.

Now that it's just the two of us, with an occasional drop in from one of the kids, I'll usually grill something or we go out.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.