NC State Athletics Designates Election Day as Day Off from Mandatory Athletics Activi

7,536 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The NC State Athletic Department has committed to refrain from mandatory athletics activities on Election Day Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2020 to encourage student-athletes and staff members to exercise their right to vote.

Through its #PackUnited initiative, the NC State Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) led the request to halt mandatory athletics activities after discussions with fellow student-athletes, coaches and administration on what members of the Wolfpack can do to make a difference.

Statement from SAAC:
The right to vote is one of the most sacred privileges we as Americans have the ability to exercise each and every year. As student-athletes at NC State, we are part of the largest generation in America. However, our generation consistently fails to vote when election season comes around. This is an untapped opportunity for young Americans to have our voices heard.

For many members of our generation, voting and voter registration is an unknown process due to a lack of civic education. As Jada Rice, the SAAC marketing and communications chair, said, "This education is important because there is a need to know who you're voting for, both locally and nationally, and who is in office, as it greatly affects your everyday life."

Too many members of our generation do not participate in our democracy. We hope to change that through SAAC's Pack United partnership with Pack the Polls Coalition. This collaboration will hopefully get not only more NC State student-athletes to the polls, but more students in general.

Being a student-athlete requires a massive time commitment that can prevent us from participating in the democratic process. We now have a day off with the intention of using it to exercise our right and make our voices heard. We encourage our Wolfpack student-athletes and all members of Wolfpack Nation to take advantage of this opportunity and to fulfill this responsibility.

Quote from Director of Athletics Boo Corrigan:
"At NC State, we hope not only to shape great athletes but even more importantly, outstanding citizens and leaders. It is our responsibility as administrators and coaches to ensure that our student-athletes leave us as better men and women who are ready to positively impact their communities. Changing your community can start with a simple vote, and we want to encourage our student-athletes to vote on November 3.

"Our student-athletes continue to grow their voices, and I am inspired by their push to actively participate within the community at NC State, in Raleigh, as well as in American democracy. That is why all NC State student-athletes will be given the day off from all athletic-related activities on Election Day."
cowboypack02
Good for them.

All young folks should be going out to vote.
Colonel Armstrong
Very good gesture. Voting is important
Pacfanweb
cowboypack02 said:

Good for them.

Personally, I disagree. I think you should have to be at least 30 before you can vote unless you're serving in the military.
cowboypack02
Pacfanweb said:

cowboypack02 said:

Good for them.

Personally, I disagree. I think you should have to be at least 30 before you can vote unless you're serving in the military.

I think you should be 21 until you can vote, but as of now the laws are what they are and every citizen with the ability to vote shouldn't take it for granted,

They should also have to show up in person and show an ID, but that is a topic for another thread
TheStorm
I voted the fall after I turned 18 in 1980 and I hope it continues to stay that way and that all those that care enough to vote dedicate the very small amount of time and effort it takes to do so... with the early voting period in this state you have no one to blame but yourself if you don't vote. It's so easy to do if you actually want to do it.
FlossyDFlynt
I have two thoughts on this:

First, I am glad the school is making an effort to inform/educate/register students to vote. Voting is important as it lets your voice be heard. Everyone should have the choice to vote and let their voices be heard.

On the other hand (and a less popular take), when you get into the real world, you most likely wont have that day off, so you should plan accordingly. If part of college is preparing people for life, they should learn to make arrangements for all things outside of work, including voting. Self accountability is a large part of post college life, and this would be a good opportunity for that. Not a hill I would die on, but food for thought, thats all.
statefan91
TheStorm said:

I voted the fall after I turned 18 in 1980 and I hope it continues to stay that way and that all those that care enough to vote dedicate the very small amount of time and effort it takes to do so... with the early voting period in this state you have no one to blame but yourself if you don't vote. It's so easy to do if you actually want to do it.
I'm sure you walked uphill both ways to do it as well. That's awesome that you've had no trouble voting in your personal life. I just hope this makes it easier for people to do their civic duty to vote.
PackBacker07
Why? If I'm not mistaken, that would be by far the most restrictive "age law" on the books?
TheStorm
statefan91 said:

TheStorm said:

I'm sure you walked uphill both ways to do it as well. That's awesome that you've had no trouble voting in your personal life. I just hope this makes it easier for people to do their civic duty to vote.
You must have problems reading or maybe you are just one of those people that has a problem with anything and everything. Hope your day starts going better for you than it apparently started off. *I didn't specifically comment on the State initiative because I don't have any issues with it whatsoever... I'm sure that was pretty clear to most people here.
statefan91
You were clear that you personally have had no problem voting and that everyone should be able to dedicate the small* amount of time that you've experienced in your voting history so they can do so as well.

I'm having a great day, thanks!
TheStorm
Well that confirms that.
Pacfanweb
PackBacker07 said:

Why? If I'm not mistaken, that would be by far the most restrictive "age law" on the books?

Because kids don't know anything. They have no business voting at that age.
If you can't be president until you're 35, you ought not to be able to vote for president until you're at least 30.

Again, unless you're serving in the military.
Glasswolf
statefan91 said:

You were clear that you personally have had no problem voting and that everyone should be able to dedicate the small* amount of time that you've experienced in your voting history so they can do so as well.

I registered in 1978. I've voted in every election since 1980. I'm at the polls when it opens at 6:30 am. Never spent more than 30 - 45 minutes in line.
IseWolf22
Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

If you can't be president until you're 35, you ought not to be able to vote for president until you're at least 30.

Being in the military does not by default instill you with additional wisdom or knowledge that makes your vote more important. At best you can say being in the military gives you a greater stake in only national elections.

IMO, when you are a legal adult, you should have every single right available to another adult. That applies to voting, military service, alcohol, tobacco/marijuana, etc. You're either an adult or you aren't.
PackBacker07
How can you say a 22 year old (random) "knows enough" to drive, buy alcohol, die for our country/serve, take out loans, buy tobacco, get a tattoo, stay at a hotel, etc etc etc but doesn't "know enough" to participate in the voting process? Either you're an adult or you aren't. When I was 18 I knew a lot of young adults who are smarter than a lot of the idiots I see out and about every single day.

Also if you pay taxes, you sure as **** should be able to vote. The whole taxation without representation thing.
Pacfanweb
PackBacker07 said:

How can you say a 22 year old (random) "knows enough" to drive, buy alcohol, die for our country/serve, take out loans, buy tobacco, get a tattoo, stay at a hotel, etc etc etc but doesn't "know enough" to participate in the voting process? Either you're an adult or you aren't. When I was 18 I knew a lot of young adults who are smarter than a lot of the idiots I see out and about every single day.

Also if you pay taxes, you sure as **** should be able to vote. The whole taxation without representation thing.

So why can't a 21 year old run for president?
PackBacker07
Because it's in the Constitution? But hell, maybe that should change also. The world is a lot different than 250 years ago. You also didn't really answer my question? But, that's cool.
Y'all means ALL.
statefan91
Glasswolf said:

statefan91 said:

I registered in 1978. I've voted in every election since 1980. I'm at the polls when it opens at 6:30 am. Never spent more than 30 - 45 minutes in line.

Cool! Glad you've had success! Hopefully efforts will continue to make it easier to vote so you don't have to spend any time in line in the future!
IseWolf22
Hell, there are plenty of 21 year olds that would be better than our current two choices
PackBacker07
I sadly agree.
Y'all means ALL.
Pacfanweb
PackBacker07 said:

Because it's in the Constitution? But hell, maybe that should change also. The world is a lot different than 250 years ago. You also didn't really answer my question? But, that's cool.
Your question was:

"How can you say a 22 year old (random) "knows enough" to drive, buy alcohol, die for our country/serve, take out loans, buy tobacco, get a tattoo, stay at a hotel, etc etc etc but doesn't "know enough" to participate in the voting process? Either you're an adult or you aren't. When I was 18 I knew a lot of young adults who are smarter than a lot of the idiots I see out and about every single day."

It's not an either/or thing with age.

It isn't: "either and adult, or you're not".

Doesn't work that way. Same reason 16 year olds can get a driver's license and 14 year old's can't.

You could just as easily say "either you're a kid or you're not", and allow 17 year olds to have sex with 12 year olds. But they can't, not legally, and they damn well shouldn't be able to, either.

Your brain isn't fully developed until you're 25-ish. So yeah, you can be progressively allowed to do certain things as you age and gain the necessary experience deemed sufficient by society.

Voting shouldn't be any different, IMO. Kids are stupid. Every one of us here was a dumbass at 21 compared to how we were just 10 years later, much less 20+ years later. As you age, you are FAR more equipped to consider such things.

Far as I'm concerned, with the obvious growing immaturity level of today's young people, raising the voting age is a great idea. There are so few people under the age of 23 that are paying taxes that you can go ahead and say basically nobody that young pays tax. I'd say the overwhelming majority contribute nothing at that point, ESPECIALLY college students, and therefore should have no say. That can extend to 30, simple because society should "deem" it that you should have to suck it up for those young years and let older, wiser and far more capable folks decide who should be running the country.

Better yet, make it 35. If you're not old enough to run for Prez, you're not old enough to vote for one.

PackBacker07
You didn't specifically state this, but after that train wreck reply I'm going to assume it's because young people tend to vote more liberal.
Y'all means ALL.
Pacfanweb
PackBacker07 said:

You didn't specifically state this, but after that train wreck reply I'm going to assume it's because young people tend to vote more liberal.

No
acslater1344
Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

Dumbest post I've ever seen on this site and that is saying A LOT. Some cranky old man bull**** (I'm 33 FWIW).
Wolfer79
PackBacker07
You should see the reasoning in the latter post, it has this one beat.
Y'all means ALL.
Pacfanweb
acslater1344 said:

Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

Dumbest post I've ever seen on this site and that is saying A LOT. Some cranky old man bull**** (I'm 33 FWIW).
So...should a 21 year old be able to run for President?
TheStorm
Pacfanweb said:

acslater1344 said:

Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

I wouldn't care if they let a 21 year old run for President... why should that bother anyone?
IseWolf22
Pacfanweb said:

acslater1344 said:

Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

What about the last 30 years makes you think that the age requirement has led to better leaders being elected?
Pacfanweb
IseWolf22 said:

Pacfanweb said:

acslater1344 said:

Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

What about the last 30 years makes you think that the age requirement has led to better leaders being elected?
Would you be okay with a 21 year old being President? We're not talking about other/current Presidents and whether they were good choices.
IseWolf22
Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

Pacfanweb said:

acslater1344 said:

Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

Would you be okay with a 21 year old being President? We're not talking about other/current Presidents and whether they were good choices.
Their youth would be the #1 thing they were attacked for the entire cycle. If they overcame that and still won, they are likely an exceptional individual.
So I'd say that I don't think it would ever happen, even if it was allowed. But if it did occur, I wouldn't be any more concerned they'd be a terrible leader than the politicians we select from today.
Pacfanweb
IseWolf22 said:

Pacfanweb said:

IseWolf22 said:

Pacfanweb said:

acslater1344 said:

Pacfanweb said:

PackBacker07 said:

Their youth would be the #1 thing they were attacked for the entire cycle. If they overcame that and still won, they are likely an exceptional individual.
So I'd say that I don't think it would ever happen, even if it was allowed. But if it did occur, I wouldn't be any more concerned they'd be a terrible leader than the politicians we select from today.
Fair enough. I don't think someone that young is remotely equipped in any way, to handle such a job.
Neither did the folks who made the minimum age 35.
That's why we don't have 21 year old CEO's on Wall Street, 21 year old generals and admirals, etc.

There's a different temperament that you acquire as you age...even the bad older candidates are better IMO than anyone that young, simply because of that.
statefan91
Do you think there should be an upper age limit for candidates?
Pacfanweb
statefan91 said:

Do you think there should be an upper age limit for candidates?
Might not be a bad idea.

Biden will be 78 right after the election. That's WAY too old to take on a job like this.

Trump is at the limit.....aging in your 70's is like aging in your single-digit years, in how quickly things can and do change.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.