Coin shortage? What's going on?

3,985 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tootie4Pack
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been in several business lately, most recently ACE Hardware, that had signs posted "Cards Only" or "Exact Cash Due To Coin Shortage In This Area"

Is there an actual shortage of coin currency, and if so, why? If so, is this yet another thing being blamed on the coronavirus?

The C19 fiasco is something none of us have ever seen before, but the seemingly collateral results are also as baffling.

This is not intended to start any type of political debate. Just looking for some answers to something that seems quite strange.
wilmwolf
Seems to be a real thing.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/21/880958665/the-latest-pandemic-shortage-coins-are-the-new-toilet-paper

If you hadn't posted about it, I would've never known, because I very rarely use or carry cash under normal circumstances. Interesting.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
GuerrillaPack
Pre-planned and engineered to move us closer to a cashless society --which many believe is necessary for the "mark of the beast" to be implemented.

Not saying that a cashless system is imminent -- but that is the aim of the powers-that-be, and things like this push us a little closer to it.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
Bell Tower Grey
wilmwolf80 said:

Seems to be a real thing.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/21/880958665/the-latest-pandemic-shortage-coins-are-the-new-toilet-paper

If you hadn't posted about it, I would've never known, because I very rarely use or carry cash under normal circumstances. Interesting.
Like yourself, I don't carry a lot of cash either. I asked the cashier at ACE, and she said "we're not sure what's going". I guess that jar full of change I have may be worth more than what's actually in there.
TheStorm
GuerrillaPack said:

Pre-planned and engineered to move us closer to a cashless society --which many believe is necessary for the "mark of the beast" to be implemented.

Not saying that a cashless system is imminent -- but that is the aim of the powers-that-be, and things like this push us a little closer to it.
LOLOLOL. It's people working retail wanting to limit their exposure to coins because it is a hard surface (and you don't know where they have been before coming to you)... the shortage is not true, but rather to keep people from cussing them out over it, like happens with the masks...

Repeat. There is no coin shortage.
GuerrillaPack
TheStorm said:

GuerrillaPack said:

LOLOLOL. It's people working retail wanting to limit their exposure to coins because it is a hard surface (and you don't know where they have been before coming to you)... the shortage is not true, but rather to keep people from cussing them out over it, like happens with the masks...

Repeat. There is no coin shortage.
All the more reason to see how they are using this as the excuse to move to a cashless society. Not only will they use that argument to eliminate coins, but also paper currency -- saying that you could also be "exposed to the virus" by touching paper bills.

Also, this provides the excuse to permanently eliminate physical currency. They will say that "for safety reasons" and "in the interest of public safety and health", it is best to eliminate physical currency and move to a cashless system (electronic/digital system).
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
IseWolf22
Can we go ahead and eliminate pennies? Production of them is a stupid waste of money at this point. There is no need for them
caryking
Just move back to the gold standard and I'm not sure I care if we go cashless, I think...

I do like the idea of me being able to track my expenditures; however, that comes with everyone else tracking my expenditures. At some point, I guess I may tire of people knowing what I do...
GuerrillaPack
caryking said:

Just move back to the gold standard and I'm not sure I care if we go cashless, I think...

I do like the idea of me being able to track my expenditures; however, that comes with everyone else tracking my expenditures. At some point, I guess I may tire of people knowing what I do...
Yes, one of the big potential dangers of a totally cashless system is the ability of the government/corporations to know and track everything you buy. Another big danger is the centralized control of the system and hypothetically all they have to do is "flip a switch" and disable your credit/debit card (or whatever other electronic system), and then you have no way to be able to purchase things. And they already do things like this in China in relation to many things -- if you are a dissident or have "politically correct" opinions at odds with the Chinese government, then the government disables your ability to travel, etc.

And, of course, if and whenever the "mark of the beast" is implemented in the future, it will likely work on such a cashless system. Otherwise, if there was still physical paper currency and coins, people would still be able to buy and sell without having to take the "mark" -- eg, on the "underground" system of buying things from neighbors, etc.

And now tie all this to what's going on with "Covid-19". They are already talking about making vaccines mandatory. You can already see the real possibility of them making a vaccine mandatory for you to be able to go back to school, to travel internationally or even across state borders, etc. And they are already making wearing a mask mandatory in order for you to be able to go into a store and purchase things.

So how big of a "step" is it for them to say that you have to have the vaccine in order to buy or sell in stores? If they were to implement such a policy, then how would they implement it at businesses? How would each person prove that they had taken the vaccine? Would you pull out a piece of paper from the health dept proving you were vaccinated each time you buy something? Unlikely. The most likely thing is that they would digitally tie your proof of vaccination to the electronic/digital cash system.

And maybe this new digital currency system would be a "mark" on your body (such as a tattoo). This is an extremely interesting little bit of information that many people are talking about -- Bill Gates' Microsoft applied for a patent in March of 2020 for a "cryptocurrency" that is somehow tied to and traced to each person's body. And guess what the patent number is for this patent? -- 060606. See here for official patent description: WO/2020/060606

Apparently, this cryptocurrency that is tied to your body is planned to be implemented through a tattoo on your skin. HERE is an article on Microsoft's website talking about "smart tattoos" that can be used to store data and "can send signals to any device via touch".
TheStorm
caryking said:

^ Oh, good god, you've done it now...
redsteel33
coin-shortage-covid

The COVID19 pandemic has significantly disrupted the supply chain and normal circulation patterns for U.S. coin. In the past few months, coin deposits from depository institutions to the Federal Reserve have declined significantly and the U.S. Mint's production of coin also decreased due to measures put in place to protect its employees. Federal Reserve coin orders from depository institutions have begun to increase as regions reopen, resulting in the Federal Reserve's coin inventory being reduced to below normal levels.
redsteel33
"Reduced retail activity and a temporary reduction in coin production, both due to COVID-19, caused a shortage."
PackDaddy
GuerrillaPack said:

I agree with Guerrilla on this
GuerrillaPack
Wolfer79
Sheetz sent email
free coffee or fizz plus cash for $5 in rolled coins
ncsupack1
Been seeing this more and more...sucks...cause I love cash.
GuerrillaPack
It's happening...they're using the covid scamdemic as the excuse to move to a cashless society. Now in Australia. Soon in America and the rest of the world.

link

Quote:

Coronavirus pandemic could see Australia shift towards cashless economy

Published: 22/06/2020

Bank branches and ATMs could start disappearing across the country as the coronavirus pandemic shifts Australians further towards a cashless economy.

link

Quote:

Coronavirus forces record number of ATMs, bank branches to close

August 18, 2020

Australia was already fast becoming a "cashless" society but the coronavirus pandemic has apparently sped up that trend.

According to new figures from Australia Payments Network, banks have been forced to shut down branches and remove ATMs as the COVID-19 crisis escalates.

The organisation estimates 2151 ATMs were removed across the country between April and June.

ncsupack1
Hate this....I'm a cash guy. I've said the hell with it a few times, nobody said anything.
Tootie4Pack
ATMs are not going anywhere in the US.

1) Banks make a lot of money off of them ..an incredible amount of money to be exact

2) some businesses in the US cities have already tried to go cashless. They were told by their local govt. that they are not allowed to do that. Too many peope in the US do not have bank accounts, do not have credit, can not get credit, etc, etc.

3) yes, younger people are using wireless to do their banking and go cashless, but there are still millions that can not get bank account access, young and old alike. The ATM business is certainly changing, but they are not going anywhere anytime soon. I am in this type of business. Constantly changing, but they will be around for a while yet.

4) is a cut throat business.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.