BBQ Caravan Trip ?

3,432 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the grilling thread, we started talking about bbq (imagine that), and I mentioned something about renting a van & driver to take a group around over the course of a few days for a eastern NC bbq crawl. There were a couple of people that "starred" it, and Civilized posted "IN".

I'd like to find out how many of you might be interest in doing this? I don't want to spend a lot of time exploring options to do this if no one wants to go.

What say ye, and how many would go?
ncsupack1
I hear ya, my go to place is Stephensons BBQ... great food.
ZAXPACK15
following
3rd generation CALS grad
Turfpack
If you ever want to check out Texas barbecue, let me know. I hit the Top 50 in Texas in Spring 2018 after the list was released in 2017 and it was an incredible experience. Enjoy the NC caravan. I'll be looking forward to hearing your reviews/comments on some places.
If you can't mow it, don't grow it.
NCSUBill
I like Eastern, but grew up on Lexington.
waynecountywolf
Wilber's is open and a report I received today- it is excellent. Drive up only for now.

Morris BBQ in Hookerton is very good, but only open Saturdays
Redneck BBQ Lab has good burnt ends I hear.
B's in Greenville is a must have, too
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Wilber's is open and a report I received today- it is excellent. Drive up only for now.

Wilber's is on my "go back to" list. Like yourself, I've heard great things.
You have to go to Redneck. My sister lives about 10 minutes away from there and loves it.
B's. Enough said.

Didn't seem to get much interest on a trip. Maybe we can schedule a couple of lunch events at certain places once more dine in service has opened up.
Tootie4Pack
Need to make a stop in Ayden. Two great places that cook over wood, and the Q is different at both places.

Skylight Inn is simple and delicious, with some of the cracklin in with the Q. Slaw and cornbread.

Bum's is also outstanding. A full menu. The Q is great, as are all of the fresh veggies. Some smacking good collards.

Grady's in Dudley has been closed due to Covid. But when they open , that is a must. Maybe the best in North Carolina. Just my opinion.

And Stephenson,s down on Hwy 50 south of Garner. Great veggies and chicken and pastry.
Bell Tower Grey
tootie, we used to go to Stephenson's about once a month when I was growing up. Wilber's at least the same. And, the collards at Grady's...you're right. Outside of those my grandma always fixed, and those I had that a woman had cooked and brought to a post funeral meal in Manning, SC in 1983, they are outstanding.
Steve Videtich
NCSUBill said:

Were you allowed to ever return home?
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Videtich said:

NCSUBill said:

Probably when he promised to bring home Eastern.
Steve Videtich
Bell Tower Grey said:

Steve Videtich said:

NCSUBill said:

Probably when he promised to bring home Eastern.

Lol! I'm from Davidson County myself. Love the Lexington style, but appreciate good Q no matter where it's from.
ncsupack1
Steve Videtich said:

NCSUBill said:

I've tried both but Eastern is better...I did grow up on Eastern....lol
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

You have to go to Redneck. My sister lives about 10 minutes away from there and loves it.
B's. Enough said.

Didn't seem to get much interest on a trip. Maybe we can schedule a couple of lunch events at certain places once more dine in service has opened up.
Add (Rodney ) Scotts BBQ in Hemingway,SC to the list.
I am game.
Bell Tower Grey
waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

B's. Enough said.

I am game.
I'm so happy to hear that Wilber's is good. That will definitely be on the list.

Does Rodney still have anything to do with the place in Hemmingway? I've heard he has basically sold himself out to a high dollar guy that is backing him with new joints in Charleston and Atlanta, and other family is now operating the original place.
waynecountywolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

waynecountywolf said:

B's. Enough said.

I am game.
I'm so happy to hear that Wilber's is good. That will definitely be on the list.

Does Rodney still have anything to do with the place in Hemmingway? I've heard he has basically sold himself out to a high dollar guy that is backing him with new joints in Charleston and Atlanta, and other family is now operating the original place.
Last I heard,a "close" family member took over. Would love to see if the original hole in the wall remains the same in taste.
I posted pic on another thread elsewhere of Wilbers Q-you would like the way its chopped compared to Parkers.
Bell Tower Grey
I'm in for a trip down there. Good bbq is worth any trip.
Tootie4Pack
I want to report in to my friends with the Loyal Order of the IPS BBQ Crew....

Because of work early today in New Bern, I decided to stop at Wilbur's in Goldsboro on my way back to Garner. Since others had mentioned it on previous posts, I thought it a good opportunity to order at the newly re-opened Wilbur's.

Only take-out (call ahead) or drive thru. The lay out in the parking lot is a bit of a CF, but they were very fast in the drive thru line with their service.

I ordered a BBQ bundle...Q, slaw, potato salad, and puppies. I also ordered an extra pint of Q for a friend and a BBQ sandwich with slaw. The sandwich was for me on the ride back. I have to be honest...the sandwich was not as good as before. In fact, it was dry. The sauce is still tangy and has some zip, but my sandwich was just ordinary.

I decided to wait until I got back to my office to check out some of the Q in the pint container. It was better than the Q on the sandwich..Good flavor, but it was still dry, just not as dry as my sandwich. Now, I place these great BBQ places on a high pedestal and expect the food to be outstanding every time, but today was just an off day. I will go back and get their Q again. The slaw, potato salad, and hush puppies were very good.

Just reporting in to my fellow BBQ lovers.
waynecountywolf
Tootie4Pack said:

I want to report in to my friends with the Loyal Order of the IPS BBQ Crew....

Because of work early today in New Bern, I decided to stop at Wilbur's in Goldsboro on my way back to Garner. Since others had mentioned it on previous posts, I thought it a good opportunity to order at the newly re-opened Wilbur's.

Only take-out (call ahead) or drive thru. The lay out in the parking lot is a bit of a CF, but they were very fast in the drive thru line with their service.

I ordered a BBQ bundle...Q, slaw, potato salad, and puppies. I also ordered an extra pint of Q for a friend and a BBQ sandwich with slaw. The sandwich was for me on the ride back. I have to be honest...the sandwich was not as good as before. In fact, it was dry. The sauce is still tangy and has some zip, but my sandwich was just ordinary.

I decided to wait until I got back to my office to check out some of the Q in the pint container. It was better than the Q on the sandwich..Good flavor, but it was still dry, just not as dry as my sandwich. Now, I place these great BBQ places on a high pedestal and expect the food to be outstanding every time, but today was just an off day. I will go back and get their Q again. The slaw, potato salad, and hush puppies were very good.

Just reporting in to my fellow BBQ lovers.
The buddy I had with me Saturday, also had Wilbers on Friday(his review of the Friday Q is what stirred me Saturday a.m. to invite him to meet me). We did both finish at the same time Saturday and I told him a few pieces were a bit dry- the Q wasnt "dry" itself but parts of it were just not as moist- if that makes sense. He agreed at the same time and said the Friday Q wasnt dry at all. Wood flavor was there, could have used some sauce (we should have asked for some). No large pieces fat as I have seen in years past.
waynecountywolf
Tootie4Pack said:

Need to make a stop in Ayden. Two great places that cook over wood, and the Q is different at both places.

Skylight Inn is simple and delicious, with some of the cracklin in with the Q. Slaw and cornbread.

Bum's is also outstanding. A full menu. The Q is great, as are all of the fresh veggies. Some smacking good collards.

Grady's in Dudley has been closed due to Covid. But when they open , that is a must. Maybe the best in North Carolina. Just my opinion.

And Stephenson,s down on Hwy 50 south of Garner. Great veggies and chicken and pastry.
A gentleman today, told me Gradys was open again. I didnt believe him, but he swore he had eaten bbq from there in the last week or so.
Looks like they reopened.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/gradysbbqnc/posts/?ref=page_internal
Tootie4Pack
Wayne, your description is a good one. After the first two bites of my sandwich, I thought this is a bit dry, just keep eating and it will be better. It just was a dry sandwich. The pint that both my father and I checked out was better, and the smoke flavor in that pint was very noticeable. My father loved it.

I mentioned earlier that I hold these lengendary places up high, especially if you are going to all of the time and dedication that it takes to cook over wood. It will take them a little time to get it as close as possible to the original taste of the Q. Certainly worth the time to go and get some. I saw about 6-8 people eating tail gate style in the parking lot. Good eating !!
Tootie4Pack
Thanks for the Grady news. A definite stop in the very near future.

And if you never had their Sweet Potato Pie, it is worth the time and effort to go there just to get the pie. Closest that I have ever had to my Grandmother's, which was the best ever. Looking forward to heading to Gradys...and soon. On their Facebook page dated July 1st, there is a picture of 4 sweet potato pies. That's some good eating right there for sure !
waynecountywolf
Tootie4Pack said:

Thanks for the Grady news. A definite stop in the very near future.

And if you never had their Sweet Potato Pie, it is worth the time and effort to go there just to get the pie. Closest that I have ever had to my Grandmother's, which was the best ever. Looking forward to heading to Gradys...and soon. On their Facebook page dated July 1st, there is a picture of 4 sweet potato pies. That's some good eating right there for sure !
Now, if Mrs Grady would make some sweet potato biscuits to go along with that pie.....wow.
Side note:
McCalls serves sweet potato biscuits and the first place one of the owners said ever tried or heard of them was at my family's house probably in early 1970s
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.