Brees

7,257 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Steve Williams
Gopack80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interested to get everyone's thoughts on his comments yesterday. He has absolutely stepped in it with a lot of black players and teammates, which is a shame because I think he's an overall great dude.

I have my own issues with a lot of Kaepernick's actions, but I'm not sure moving the discussion toward respect of the flag is the right call either.
James Henderson
Staff
I don't understand why folks can't have their own opinions on topics and it just be left at that.

I took his comments to be in reference to the flag/anthem situation, not what's going on right now.

Brees is one of the most charitable players in the NFL, hate to see the guy get blasted like he is, but it's what we now do.
BobbyCox95
Gopack80 said:

Interested to get everyone's thoughts on his comments yesterday. He has absolutely stepped in it with a lot of black players and teammates, which is a shame because I think he's an overall great dude.

I have my own issues with a lot of Kaepernick's actions, but I'm not sure moving the discussion toward respect of the flag is the right call either.
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. If others want to kneel, that's their right as well. I think most people will agree with what he said but it probably wasn't the best time to be so vocal about it.
baxterC
Someone just needs to sit down with Drew and say It just boils down to can you see it from both sides perspective or only your own.

A lot of people fought for citizens right to protest the flag (in this situation) and what it stands for to THEM. It's on you to decide whether that changes what the flag means to YOU. If you feel it's disrespectful, that's your right, but I think it's also on you (Drew) to go talk with your fellow players and try to understand what taking a knee means to them. Maybe you will understand but disagree with the kneeling still. That's fine.

But I think a lot of players in the league are sitting there yesterday trying to understand how a dude that plays for NO could be that tone deaf to players/fans in that city alone.

"That's a big deal," Doeren said. "Now we have five days of five different potatoes and the guys are fired up about it."
wilmwolf
Didn't have a problem with what he said. But we are in a time where people aren't allowed to have nuanced opinions on anything. If you aren't either one hundred percent for or one hundred percent against whatever the social media mob wants you to be for or against, you are going to get crucified. It's all about the spectacle. Lebron or whomever could surely just call Drew and talk about it, but instead we've got to make twitter videos calling him out. Drew Brees is by all accounts an exceedingly good dude. He has done a tremendous amount of work for disadvantaged peoples of all types over the course of his career. He's allowed to have an opinion that differs from others without being labeled a racist or horrible person. You can be against police brutality and systemic racism and still want to stand during the anthem. Those aren't conflicting viewpoints, unless you live on social media in 2020.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
baxterC
James Henderson said:

I don't understand why folks can't have their own opinions on topics and it just be left at that.

I took his comments to be in reference to the flag/anthem situation, not what's going on right now.

Brees is one of the most charitable players in the NFL, hate to see the guy get blasted like he is, but it's what we now do.

Seems like a pretty poor reading of the room to make the statements he made during a time of national unrest. He shouldn't be surprised people that are angry about an injustice are going to snap on him.

It's his opinion, he will defend it still. But he may have just lost a lot of fellow players respect. In the end I think that's a bigger deal for him in his occupation than what we think of him in one way or the other.
"That's a big deal," Doeren said. "Now we have five days of five different potatoes and the guys are fired up about it."
CLTWolf
This ain't about you and your grand pappys Drew. Read the room buddy.

*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
BobbyCox95
CLTWolf said:

He would have received similar backlash if he said that 6 months ago. Again, he stands for the flag because his grandfathers fought for that flag and they kneel in protest of police brutality. Then we put our helmets on and go play football. No need for either side to be butthurt.
CLTWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

He would have received similar backlash if he said that 6 months ago. Again, he stands for the flag because his grandfathers fought for that flag and they kneel in protest of police brutality. Then we put our helmets on and go play football. No need for either side to be butthurt.
I doubt it. 6 months ago George Floyd was still alive. Breonna Taylor was still alive. No one is asking Drew his opinion of two people that aren't famous for dying 6 months ago while they are still alive. Massive world wide protests were not going on because George Floyd was chillin' in Minneapolis and Houston, still breathing.

James Henderson
Staff
FlossyDFlynt
The reason hes getting blasted is he spoke his own opinion, and people dont want to hear it. They want you to hear you reiterate their opinion, otherwise you are "wrong".
EliteFlamer
Tone deaf opinion from Drew. Nobody's kneeling at the flag right now. Comments like his right now only do harm.

Maybe he's just trying to win comeback player of the year in a 24 hour span?
BobbyCox95
CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

I doubt it. 6 months ago George Floyd was still alive. Breonna Taylor was still alive. No one is asking Drew his opinion of two people that aren't famous for dying 6 months ago while they are still alive. Massive world wide protests were not going on because George Floyd was chillin' in Minneapolis and Houston, still breathing.

We'll just agree to disagree then. I think he gets blasted the same whether he said that this week or back when Colin K first kneeled or anytime in between.
Starwolf

Michael Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, and Alvin Kamara speaking out against Drew. The memes under the posts are actually pretty funny. I think Lebron's tweet on what Drew said was probably what most of everyone who is protesting feels about his words.
CLTWolf
FlossyDFlynt said:

The reason hes getting blasted is he spoke his own opinion, and people dont want to hear it. They want you to hear you reiterate their opinion, otherwise you are "wrong".
Go back and listen to the question. He was asked what his responsibility was as a leader in times like this...all buddy had to say was what he just put out on his IG. Hell, he could've even said he "stands" with his fellow teammates and will be a compassionate and empathetic ally for those on the team and in the community. Nope, he made it about himself.
James Henderson
Staff
CLTWolf said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

Go back and listen to the question. He was asked what his responsibility was as a leader in times like this...all buddy had to say was what he just put out on his IG. Hell, he could've even said he "stands" with his fellow teammates and will be a compassionate and empathetic ally for those on the team and in the community. Nope, he made it about himself.
He was kind of asked about himself though. LOL

I don't understand why everyone has to agree/say the same thing.

How about someone print up a statement for everyone to say so it all will be clean and easy. Hilarious.
CLTWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

We'll just agree to disagree then. I think he gets blasted the same whether he said that this week or back when Colin K first kneeled or anytime in between.
What you are failing to understand here, I think, is that it has nothing to do with "back when". He made his views public back when Kap first did his thing.

This is about what a large percentage of his teammates and community are feeling NOW.

But sure, agree to disagree.
ncsualum05
James Henderson said:

Agree completely.

Even more sickening is the videos I've seen of people being forced on their knees and apologizing or saying creeds of some sort. It's really sick stuff.
CLTWolf
James Henderson said:

CLTWolf said:

FlossyDFlynt said:

He was kind of asked about himself though. LOL

I don't understand why everyone has to agree/say the same thing.

How about someone print up a statement for everyone to say so it all will be clean and easy. Hilarious.
James....you know better.

DiverDownBrian
He just caved, and apologized.

WolfpackCPA
Drew is just saying that he thinks there should be a different channel to bring this up than kneeling during the anthem.

Since when in this country is there only one way to do something, and any other perspective is the wrong one? Drew has done a ton for the community, He donated 5M dollars to the cornovirus cause.

Name any other athlete that has ever donated that amount of money to any cause? There could be others but I don't know of any giving close to 5M.

People really want to sit here and say that Drew doesn't care about all people.

CLTWolf
Some of ya'll need some more black friends in your life lol
Starwolf
This just in Jameis Winston is the Week 1 starter for the Saints
statefan91
Really weird that people get so pressed when players use the 1st Amendment Right Brees' grandpappy fought for so they can peacefully kneel. Seems like they may be missing something.
Gopack80
His apology today is spot on, but he'll still get crucified for it and it won't matter to many. Too late. Which is completely unfair.

My biggest issues with Kaepernick were his other actions surrounding the kneeling (the socks, the Castro shirt, etc). It made his intentions highly suspect and hurt any credibility he was seeking. But that doesn't get talked about by the ones that took him up on his stance and I fully believe he was helped along by the media in all of it.

We live in a generation where dissenting opinions are no longer welcomed. If that continues, we're hopeless.
metcalfmafia
"Oop..." -Alvin Kamara. So profound.
BobbyCox95
CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

BobbyCox95 said:

CLTWolf said:

What you are failing to understand here, I think, is that it has nothing to do with "back when". He made his views public back when Kap first did his thing.

This is about what a large percentage of his teammates and community are feeling NOW.

But sure, agree to disagree.
I'm not failing to see anything. Criticizing players kneeling will get players/teammates fired up at any point. Maybe not to this extent but that will never no over well.
CLTWolf
One of my best friends on the planet told me a story yesterday. He had just gotten cut from the St Louis Rams and was driving back to his apt with all of his stuff from his locker. He was gonna finish packing up and drive back to NC and see if he could latch on with another team. As he was driving on the same road he'd driven a million times before, he gets pulled over. The officer tells him he pulled him over b/c he was driving in the left lane. Supposedly that was a no no in Missouri but of course my buddy didn't know that. Officer asked him why he was out driving around and my buddy told him that he had just gotten released by the Rams and he was driving home. The officer heard "released from jail", pulled his weapon and told my buddy to get out of the car and demanded my friend tell him why he was in Missouri with NC tags having just gotten out of jail. Jail. My buddy told him again, that he has never been in jail and was just released by the RAMS. Told him to call "Chief" (the retired police officer that works for the team) and he could verify who my friend was. Once the officer calmed down and realized my friend had never been in jail and was in fact a professional football player his attitude changed and the officer then made this comment, "Sorry man, you're just a big black guy in a nice car in nice part of town. I had to pull you over". Then that mf'er wanted an autograph.

I'd bet $5 million bucks something like that has never and will never happen to Drew Brees.
Borowolf10
baxterC said:

James Henderson said:

Seems like a pretty poor reading of the room to make the statements he made during a time of national unrest. He shouldn't be surprised people that are angry about an injustice are going to snap on him.

It's his opinion, he will defend it still. But he may have just lost a lot of fellow players respect. In the end I think that's a bigger deal for him in his occupation than what we think of him in one way or the other.

He didn't just say it out of nowhere. The media asked him specifically to create this kind of controversy.
Packchem91
James Henderson said:

Its called the Twitter revolution. If you put them on Twitter, which is in general an extremely liberal platform, you better be prepared.....
Starwolf
CLTWolf said:

One of my best friends on the planet told me a story yesterday. He had just gotten cut from the St Louis Rams and was driving back to his apt with all of his stuff from his locker. He was gonna finish packing up and drive back to NC and see if he could latch on with another team. As he was driving on the same road he'd driven a million times before, he gets pulled over. The officer tells him he pulled him over b/c he was driving in the left lane. Supposedly that was a no no in Missouri but of course my buddy didn't know that. Officer asked him why he was out driving around and my buddy told him that he had just gotten released by the Rams and he was driving home. The officer heard "released from jail", pulled his weapon and told my buddy to get out of the car and demanded my friend tell him why he was in Missouri with NC tags having just gotten out of jail. Jail. My buddy told him again, that he has never been in jail and was just released by the RAMS. Told him to call "Chief" (the retired police officer that works for the team) and he could verify who my friend was. Once the officer calmed down and realized my friend had never been in jail and was in fact a professional football player his attitude changed and the officer then made this comment, "Sorry man, you're just a big black guy in a nice car in nice part of town. I had to pull you over". Then that mf'er wanted an autograph.

I'd bet $5 million bucks something like that has never and will never happen to Drew Brees.
Unbelievable. He did all that and wanted an autograph... This is exactly why we're protesting.
LakeNormanPackFan
CLTWolf said:

That sounds like the fakest story I have ever heard.
CLTWolf
Packchem91 said:

James Henderson said:

Its called the Twitter revolution. If you put them on Twitter, which is in general an extremely liberal platform, you better be prepared.....
are you fkn kidding me!? lol

The most famous twitter user currently is the freaking president. That man is far from "extremely liberal" and that's just about his only platform except the millions of his minions that retweet the snot out of him. lol

packgrad
CLTWolf said:

Hilarious that you think all black people think this.
James Henderson
Staff
CLTWolf said:

Why? I have plenty of black friends, hell most of my friends are black.

I think some of you all need more native american friends in your life.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.