Video Games

10,195 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by griff17matt
metcalfmafia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alright fellow nerds. I've reached the point of quarantine/working from home where I'm dusting off the old consoles and firing up the PS4 almost every night.

What are you guys playing out there? I just picked up NBA 2k20 for 20 bucks and it's trash IMO. I didn't mind this years Madden, but maybe it's because I haven't purchased a Madden game in years.
statefan91
I apologize if this derails your thread at all, but I am thinking about getting a system and have no idea what to get. My normal outlet was going to movies late night after the kids and my wife had gone to bed but I can't do that now and probably won't be able to for a while.

Thinking about getting something that can scale down to kids as I have a 4.5 yr old that will definitely want to play something if I'm playing. I don't really care for the FPS games, love side scrollers. Wondering if I should just be looking at Nintendo Switch.
metcalfmafia
statefan91 said:

I apologize if this derails your thread at all, but I am thinking about getting a system and have no idea what to get. My normal outlet was going to movies late night after the kids and my wife had gone to bed but I can't do that now and probably won't be able to for a while.

Thinking about getting something that can scale down to kids as I have a 4.5 yr old that will definitely want to play something if I'm playing. I don't really care for the FPS games, love side scrollers. Wondering if I should just be looking at Nintendo Switch.
Not derailing at all! I'm up to talk about anything brother LOL.

I'd go with a Switch from what you said. It can hook up to a TV and is also portable in case you our your kid wants to game on the go.

I don't own a Switch though, so someone on here who does can probably say more than I can.
statefan91
Thanks! I have also heard it's easy to jailbreak to some degree so you can get an emulator and tons of old Nintendo (and other?) games. I'm an 80s/early 90s kid so have a soft spot for SNES / N64 type games, though with better graphics.

Are most games on PS4 / Switch / etc all digital now? I've heard of Steam but wasn't sure if that was just computer games.
ShaggyWolf
I have been playing Call of Duty just about every night. I can't wait for MLB The Show to come to Xbox one next spring. I'd be playing that 24/7 if we had it now.
metcalfmafia
statefan91 said:

Thanks! I have also heard it's easy to jailbreak to some degree so you can get an emulator and tons of old Nintendo (and other?) games. I'm an 80s/early 90s kid so have a soft spot for SNES / N64 type games, though with better graphics.

Are most games on PS4 / Switch / etc all digital now? I've heard of Steam but wasn't sure if that was just computer games.
I buy discs and buy digital copies. Just depends on where the best deal is IMO. There are subscription services you can pay for on PS4 and Xbox, but I've never looked into them.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

I have been playing Call of Duty just about every night. I can't wait for MLB The Show to come to Xbox one next spring. I'd be playing that 24/7 if we had it now.
I'm almost to the all star break in my Braves franchise. Freeman leads the league in homers which would never happen in real life LOL.
PackBacker07
metcalfmafia said:

statefan91 said:

Not derailing at all! I'm up to talk about anything brother LOL.

I'd go with a Switch from what you said. It can hook up to a TV and is also portable in case you our your kid wants to game on the go.

I don't own a Switch though, so someone on here who does can probably say more than I can.
Switch would be a solid option, but I read somewhere they are scarce due to COVID-19 and the social media rise in mentions of Animal Crossing. for a 4+ year old, Xbox and PS may be a little over their head. You could always find a cheap Wii probably?
PackBacker07
I was on a FIFA 19 kick for the first few weeks, and now my obsession has moved to Madden 20. I started a new franchise and decided to blow everything up and do a fantasy draft. I'm playing in All-Pro and made the NFCCG with Brissett as my starter in Year 1, but I had to move on from him for my second season. If any of you play on Xbox, would you be open to doing a cloud franchise?
acslater1344
You should see how much Red Dead Redemption is in the PS store. Basically GTA on horseback and it will kill a lot of free time. New CoD isn't groundbreaking or anything but definitely addictive.
wilmwolf
I'm on Xbox some, mostly playing FIFA with friends. I did Madden a few years ago but lost interest. I actually dusted off my Wii the other day to play Tiger Woods, which was my favorite game on that console.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

Get a switch. It'll be best for your need right now, and you kid will love it for car trips in a few years. There is a good array of titles for it now. Nintendo is probably the best at family/kid friendly, but still fun games. Mario and Zelda were both good single player, and there's ton's of family multiplayers like Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.

You'll find a decent selection of older titles on the virtual store, but most of the best stuff is still not there. You can get an emulator for the old games on your PC easily, but you can also look for a SNES Classic (most of the best games are pre loaded, but hard to find).

Look at the Indie game selection though. That is a part of the switch I didn't think I'd like, but I LOVE. These games are a lot simpler than the average blockbuster title, but more complex than most mobile games. A lot are in "retro" style and serve as an omage to older games. What was your favorite stuff on SNES/N64? There is going to be something like it. They've also ported over a lot of the good xbox and PS games that are 3-5 years old.
IseWolf22
ShaggyWolf said:

I've been playing a lot of COD.... may go do that right now
metcalfmafia
acslater1344 said:

You should see how much Red Dead Redemption is in the PS store. Basically GTA on horseback and it will kill a lot of free time. New CoD isn't groundbreaking or anything but definitely addictive.

Oh I already have Red Dead. I never realize how much of a raging maniac I am on the inside until I get on that game.
NatePait94
I've been playing a lot of PUBG. Love the 10 man's. 10 teams of 10 people can get brutal quick!
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
packgrad
I've just started playing COD again for the first time in years. The free one. Getting smoked right now, but definitely remember how I accidentally pulled a few all nighters in my younger years. I may have to check out that baseball game. Used to love them. Madden never did it for me because i always played college football. Guess that's not an option now.
NatePait94
My good buddy is a baseball junkie and huge gamer. Made the switch from xbox to playstation for mlb the show and he was super disappointed. Doesnt like the game and like I said, hes a big junkie.
We're all Red on the inside. Some of us are just Blue in the face, and they're sick.
ShaggyWolf
packgrad said:

I've just started playing COD again for the first time in years. The free one. Getting smoked right now, but definitely remember how I accidentally pulled a few all nighters in my younger years. I may have to check out that baseball game. Used to love them. Madden never did it for me because i always played college football. Guess that's not an option now.
There have been multiple times this quarantine where I have added an Xbox 360 and NCAA 14 to my online shopping cart.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

packgrad said:

There have been multiple times this quarantine where I have added an Xbox 360 and NCAA 14 to my online shopping cart.

I wanted to get a new copy of NCAA 14 because my skips so much but they're so expensive.
910wolf
metcalfmafia said:

ShaggyWolf said:

packgrad said:

I wanted to get a new copy of NCAA 14 because my skips so much but they're so expensive.
I have a copy I would be willing to sell if either of you want to message me.
Pacfanweb
World of Warships. PC. Free, free to play. They have premium stuff you can buy, of course, but you don't have to unless you're just in love with a certain premium ship.

It's not a simulation and it has to be balanced, so the game play isn't "realistic"...in that say, a Battleship can be sunk by light cruiser gunfire. Eventually. Which could never happen in real life....a light cruiser could pull up next to the Missouri as a museum ship at Pearl Harbor and empty her magazines and it wouldn't sink her, much less if the Battleship had a crew on board that could fight back.

Anyway, the ship models look awesome, and it's a blast to level up through the tiers of ships.
NatePait94
That game is fun. I played it nonstop for a couple weeks on xbox.
Pacfanweb
NatePait94 said:

That game is fun. I played it nonstop for a couple weeks on xbox.

Yeah it's not that old on consoles. It's been out for PC for several years. I tried it but I prefer the PC because I'm used to that more.
Gopackgo93
I went back and started a new game in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. There is always a lot to do in those games and they take a while to play through if you complete a lot of the side quests. I commandeered the WiiU from my son, he has a Switch. It's fun to play on the 70" Vizio.
Steve Williams
Staff
I just want to say that Super Metroid is the greatest video game ever created. Nothing like playing that with it's spooky a$$ music at 2 in the morning.
griff17matt
Steve Williams said:

I just want to say that Super Metroid is the greatest video game ever created. Nothing like playing that with it's spooky a$$ music at 2 in the morning.

Alien vs Predator was like this for me. Scared the hell out of me when I played it at night with headphones on.
IseWolf22
Steve Williams said:

Great game, but you should take a look at Dead Cells and Hollow Knight. Two more modern games that take inspiration from Super Metroid. Not saying they are better, (especially minus the nostalgia factor), but it's something different to play that's still in a similar genre
metcalfmafia
NatePait94 said:

My good buddy is a baseball junkie and huge gamer. Made the switch from xbox to playstation for mlb the show and he was super disappointed. Doesnt like the game and like I said, hes a big junkie.
Are there any specifics as to why he doesn't like it? I'm addicted to it, but I've also been playing it since the PS2 days.
metcalfmafia
Just started playing the new God of War.

Completely different from the old ones (which I wasn't a huge fan of, but finished anyway) and I love it. The story is so much more engaging and the lore is better IMO.
NatePait94
Apparently he got hit over the head and he likes it now LOL
SportManagementEngineer
metcalfmafia said:

NatePait94 said:

Are there any specifics as to why he doesn't like it? I'm addicted to it, but I've also been playing it since the PS2 days.
The Show is the reason I picked Playstation over Xbox years ago. Its not perfect but I spend countless days on it each summer.

I recently broke down and got the playstation online for the first time. So I'm trying this call of duty game everyone is on but I suck at first person shooters.
Twitter: @JJwith2Jays
Pacfanweb
New season of Ranked Sprint battles started today on WoWs.

Tiers 9 and 10.

I just "bought" the German Tier 9 Frederich Der Grosse earlier this week for it. That gives me it and the Iowa at TIer 9, and the Montana at tier X.

Needs all them modules finished, though and that's going to take some more grinding to open those up, but at least it gives me another option, even though it's one that's not 100% yet.
packgrad
Downloading MLB The Show now. Tired of getting smoked in COD.
ShaggyWolf
I know over the years people have been frustrated with some glitches in the show, especially when it comes to fielding. But it is the only baseball video game worth playing by a country mile so you just gotta take what you can get. The one year I had it I spent countless hours playing.
metcalfmafia
ShaggyWolf said:

I know over the years people have been frustrated with some glitches in the show, especially when it comes to fielding. But it is the only baseball video game worth playing by a country mile so you just gotta take what you can get. The one year I had it I spent countless hours playing.

That's one of the things that makes me want to break the controller...when you can't get your outfielder to realize where the fly ball is.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.