Share stories of hope and giving

1,629 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by pack95
Mormad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I have been supporting Hope Academy, a local middle school for the impoverished. 80% of the kids live below the poverty line. We can't give coats or bikes or other sellable goods because their parents sell them for drug money. Coats are left at school. This Christian School provides most meals and many programs for these children, and the kids stay thru the early evening to avoid their home situations. When we bring food, we see the kids hoarding it in their pockets because there's none at home. But these kids, instead of turning to drugs and dropping out, are going to high school, and now we've had our first going to college. Now the school is closed. They've tried to still provide, but breakfast consists of a pop tart and lunch a can of soup.

United healthcare has a cafeteria they want to keep open for employees, but federal law (I guess) says they have to supply so many meals per day, and they can't with so few working. So they have agreed to supply 100 meals per day for 8 weeks to our needy children at the hope academy. The challenge may be social distancing, but the kids are gonna get real hot meals for 8 weeks. I think that's pretty cool.

I thought, in the midst of this hysteria and panic and fear, some shared stories of kindness and giving might be nice.
PackMom
Our church is packing food boxes for the kids at a local school which we support throughout the year with other projects. They're picked up by the social worker and delivered to the families. I think they're still getting lunches from the school system but this provides more food for the family's other meals.
pack95
Mormad said:

My wife and I have been supporting Hope Academy, a local middle school for the impoverished. 80% of the kids live below the poverty line. We can't give coats or bikes or other sellable goods because their parents sell them for drug money. Coats are left at school. This Christian School provides most meals and many programs for these children, and the kids stay thru the early evening to avoid their home situations. When we bring food, we see the kids hoarding it in their pockets because there's none at home. But these kids, instead of turning to drugs and dropping out, are going to high school, and now we've had our first going to college. Now the school is closed. They've tried to still provide, but breakfast consists of a pop tart and lunch a can of soup.

United healthcare has a cafeteria they want to keep open for employees, but federal law (I guess) says they have to supply so many meals per day, and they can't with so few working. So they have agreed to supply 100 meals per day for 8 weeks to our needy children at the hope academy. The challenge may be social distancing, but the kids are gonna get real hot meals for 8 weeks. I think that's pretty cool.

I thought, in the midst of this hysteria and panic and fear, some shared stories of kindness and giving might be nice.

I would be interested in learning more about this school and potentially helping out financially. How can I learn more?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.