Home Brewing

1,266 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JocoPack
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One of my old hobbies I used to enjoy. Was cleaning out the shop today and found some of my old equipment. A buddy and I used to do all-grain 10 gallon batches to put in 5gal "pepsi kegs". We had an offset gravity system using cut open 15gal kegs modified with spigots on them. Was really one of my favorite hobbies I've ever had but was cut a little short due to both of us having children. Now that the kids are a little older I would like to get back in it. Anyone here brew your own or interested in learning how?
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
wilmwolf
Never made my own, and don't really have any desire to, but this is a cool topic so I'll give you a bump. I do enjoy doing similar at home type things, just not really into beer these days. My favorite home brew story comes from prohibition, and I can't remember if it was in a book I read, or from the Ken Burns documentary.

The story goes that there was a guy in Chicago that made his own beer in his basement throughout prohibition (lots of people did). When prohibition was finally repealed, he took down his equipment and packed everything up and headed to the bar to get a pint. What he didn't realize until he got there was that in the early repeal days, there was a provision that beer couldn't be very strong, I think 3% max. So he gets to the bar, orders a beer, takes one sip, stands up and walks out and back home and starts unpacking his home brew equipment. I always got a kick out of imagining that.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JocoPack
Ha that's a good story. Didn't realize they made the beer like that when prohibition was repealed.

Honestly I've gotten to the point in my life that I can't drink much beer anymore. But it was a lot of fun to make. Playing around with different grain and hops to formulate your own beer was pretty neat.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.