Gardening Thread

5,348 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ShaggyWolf
statwolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So what you all planting this year?

I've got tomatoes (Fireworks and Sweet million) growing from seeds in the garage. i'll plant some squash and zucchini seeds directly into the ground later in April (assuming that is the right time to do it).

I'll also plant the tomatoes in the garden after Easter and stagger some plants so they are spaced out a little bit so we get some tomatoes a little longer in the fall).

My only issue is hornworms. Those things are the devil. I've added a bunch of soil additives to get rid of blosson end rot. Any other tricks that you all know?
ncsupack1
Used to always plant a garden, kids and job have gotten in the way....miss doing it.
JocoPack
Our rosemary and thyme are still going strong from last year. We're going to plant some jalepenos, habaneros, and garden salsa peppers. We'll also do some squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and tomatoes. We didn't have much luck last year with cilantro but we may give it a try again this year. I love making some fresh hot salsa with stuff straight from the garden.
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
ShaggyWolf
I'll be in an apartment in May. Any suggestions of things to grow on the porch? Don't want to take up too much room if possible.
nakinawolf
Red Pontiac and Yukon Gold potatoes just breaking the soil surface this week. I have a raised bed where I grow several varieties of lettuce along with some spinach and green onions in early spring and again in the fall. Have about given up on tomatoes because thrips and disease pressure is so high around my garden spot. We'll have lots of peppers, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, okra, sweet corn, butter beans this summer and in the fall...COLLARDS!
nakinawolf
Grape tomatoes grow well in containers as well as most any pepper plant
JocoPack
ShaggyWolf said:

I'll be in an apartment in May. Any suggestions of things to grow on the porch? Don't want to take up too much room if possible.

You could probably grow some herbs in small pots by a window. Rosemary, sage, thyme, etc would be good and would be a welcomed upgrade to a lot of recipes.
Whitetailpack
Just dropped some Tomato seeds a few days ago of Tomato (beefsteak, early girl, and cherry), Zucchini, and cucumbers. Hoping I can get those in the raised bed in a few weeks.

I also battle the hornworms. Those suckers will eat a tomato plant overnight! Any tips to control them?
Mtn Cur
JocoPack said:

Our rosemary and thyme are still going strong from last year. We're going to plant some jalepenos, habaneros, and garden salsa peppers. We'll also do some squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and tomatoes. We didn't have much luck last year with cilantro but we may give it a try again this year. I love making some fresh hot salsa with stuff straight from the garden.

I've seen that cilantro prefers cooler weather. I've planted it in the fall and had it overwinter and flush in the spring with new growth. It always gets leggy and bolts by the time it gets hot in the summer and is done. This is in the Raleigh area
Mtn Cur
Whitetailpack said:

Just dropped some Tomato seeds a few days ago of Tomato (beefsteak, early girl, and cherry), Zucchini, and cucumbers. Hoping I can get those in the raised bed in a few weeks.

I also battle the hornworms. Those suckers will eat a tomato plant overnight! Any tips to control them?

Liquid Seven or if you want to not use pesticides you can look for them early in the morning while they're active and remove them by hand. Also look for white egg clusters on the underside of the leaves and remove them. If you check them daily for the few weeks that they're the worst you can keep them at bay
seed2pack
Dipel is a safe garden chemical that will knockout most worms. It's OMRI certified so it's pretty safe. If you want to get another level tougher on the worms you can try a Spinosad (ai) type product. We use Blackhawk to control pretty much all worms in one way or another, but I don't know if you can buy it without a chemical license. If you go into an Ace hardware, just look at the active ingredients to see what you are buying. In general Dipel should kill most worms (it takes a few days), but if you have armyworns you want to bump up to spinosad. Long story short worms shouldn't hold you back.
Mtn Cur
seed2pack said:

Dipel is a safe garden chemical that will knockout most worms. It's OMRI certified so it's pretty safe. If you want to get another level tougher on the worms you can try a Spinosad (ai) type product. We use Blackhawk to control pretty much all worms in one way or another, but I don't know if you can buy it without a chemical license. If you go into an Ace hardware, just look at the active ingredients to see what you are buying. In general Dipel should kill most worms (it takes a few days), but if you have armyworns you want to bump up to spinosad. Long story short worms shouldn't hold you back.

It's scary but you can buy most any pesticide online, even restricted ones, and have them shipped to your door
IseWolf22
What's the best way to get started? Last spring was my first in a house. We planted some herbs and flowers....everything died. We don't know what we are doing
nakinawolf
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/extension-gardener-handbook/16-vegetable-gardening
JocoPack
Mtn Cur said:

JocoPack said:

I've seen that cilantro prefers cooler weather. I've planted it in the fall and had it overwinter and flush in the spring with new growth. It always gets leggy and bolts by the time it gets hot in the summer and is done. This is in the Raleigh area

That would explain it then. Maybe I can have it in a pot inside the house.
RunsWithWolves26
IseWolf22 said:

What's the best way to get started? Last spring was my first in a house. We planted some herbs and flowers....everything died. We don't know what we are doing

Have you checked your pH levels? Lime has always been a miracle worker for me as well as firewood ash.

Edited to add if you are a coffee drinker, coffee grounds are great as well.
Whitetailpack
IseWolf22 said:

Proper drainage and sunlight is key too.

IseWolf22
Whitetailpack said:

IseWolf22 said:

Proper drainage and sunlight is key too.

Drainage is a problem..I've put in two french drains since I moved in. The houses behind me are higher and any rain drains down, through my yard to the street
Tootie4Pack
ShaggyWolf said:

If you like cucumbers there are some of the bush variety that can grow in a hanging basket. I just put mine on the rail of my deck. Short, 5-7 inch variety.
ShaggyWolf
Has anyone had any luck growing banana peppers?
BruceDouble
ShaggyWolf said:

In NC, I've had a lot of success with banana and jalapeo type peppers in my backyard. I usually have so many, i pickle them in a jar to last me til next season.
JocoPack
ShaggyWolf said:

We had a good stand of banana peppers a couple years ago. Like Bruce said we had so many we ended up pickling and canning them.
brickturner
Have had great success with banana peppers. Also jalapeno and chili peppers
kbdavis33
Looking to grow something in the back, but need something that grows well with limited sunlight
Bell Tower Grey
ShaggyWolf said:

Try these: Grow Bags for Gardening - Fabric Planters | Gardener's Supply. www.gardeners.com

Since it's just the two of us, my wife uses these now instead of planting a garden. You can find a variety of them online. Great product and they can be reused for several growing seasons. We've been using them for years with good success.

[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=23&ved=2ahUKEwie9OCHtdHoAhULTN8KHR_RDFUQFjAWegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gardeners.com%2Fbuy%2Foutdoor-planters%2Fgrow-bags%2F&usg=AOvVaw0Don1g49RqlC6T5hl0oF-7][/url]
ShaggyWolf
Bell Tower Grey said:

ShaggyWolf said:

Try these: Grow Bags for Gardening - Fabric Planters | Gardener's Supply. www.gardeners.com

Since it's just the two of us, my wife uses these now instead of planting a garden. You can find a variety of them online. Great product and they can be reused for several growing seasons. We've been using them for years with good success.

[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=23&ved=2ahUKEwie9OCHtdHoAhULTN8KHR_RDFUQFjAWegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gardeners.com%2Fbuy%2Foutdoor-planters%2Fgrow-bags%2F&usg=AOvVaw0Don1g49RqlC6T5hl0oF-7][/url]
Awesome, thanks!
ShaggyWolf
Where do you all get your seeds? Just your local outdoor supply store? Anybody into saving seeds from year to year?
statwolf
How are things going in y'all's gardens? I didn't have much luck with squash seeds but everything else looks pretty good and healthy. Can't wait for that first tomato
kbdavis33
So far I've got two tomato plants doing well, jalapeo and RHCPs growing and one okra plant. Nothing really producing yet though. One small green tomato.

Have a lot of herbs on the other side though
Bell Tower Grey
Our peppers have been coming off the past couple of weeks. Tomatoes are beginning to grow, finally. Squash and zucchini are looking good.

The cilantro, rosemary and thyme are going full bore.

Was walking around our blueberry bushes this morning; they are loaded, looks like more than last year. Our pear tree is loaded as well. I'm excited about that because Mrs. BTG cans blueberry / pear preserves that is delicious.
JocoPack
Our blueberry bushes are full as well. Picked for a good while last night and it doesn't look like we touched them. Mrs. Jocopack canned some last night. She's never done it before but found some how-to on Pinterest.

Our squash and zucchini are coming along nicely and should have some peppers any day now. Thyme and cilantro are looking good too.

We had some pretty heirloom pumpkins last fall that we threw into the compost pile and wouldn't ya know it we've got a flattened out white one as well as several other buds coming on in. We also put out some okra a couple of weeks ago that are sprouting. Going to can most of them but I also want to deep fry some whole ones for an appetizer one night.
Bell Tower Grey
Deep fry the okra till about half done, split them lengthwise and stuff them with almost done cooked sausage and a little parmesan cheese, then finish off in a hot oven till done.
JocoPack
Now that sounds awesome! One of favorite restaurants in Morehead, Ruddy Ducks, has whole fried okra as an app with a side of ranch and they are delicious
ShaggyWolf
Tomato question for you all. My plant has had quite a few blooms on it this season but has only produced one tomato. Suggestions to increase productivity?
Tootie4Pack
If the blooms are falling off, you might want to consider spraying Blossom Set Spray on the plants. Helps the plant to generate more blooms and usually helps to bear more fruit in the long run. Also they need a lot of sun. Tomato plants love the sun light.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.