Pistol shooting

1,913 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DrummerboyWolf
packgrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I grew up shooting guns, but mostly rifles and shotguns. The only time I shot a pistol was a 22.

Several years ago, I got my concealed carry and bought a 9mm a year thereafter. I've never been coached on properly shooting the pistol and this is where my question lies. I've noticed over the last couple of years I shoot much better with one hand than two. That makes no sense to me. With 2 hands I seem to pull to the left. I feel like it has to do with trigger pull, but also wonder if it's how I hold it.

What sayeth the IPS militia?
Elrod
You can get a ton of information from these folks: https://www.concealedcarry.com/
The downfall of every great society has always been immediately preceded by a significant increase in the number of lawyers.
packgrad
Thanks for the link. My buddy and I were talking about taking a class from Triangle Shooting Academy.
JocoPack
Grip and trigger pull have a lot to do with accuracy with a handgun. Grip has more to do with it than people realize. Focus on those two things and your accuracy will improve immensely. What gun are you shooting, if I may ask?
packgrad
Glock 19
JocoPack
Gotcha. Great gun.
cowboypack02
I have a Smithfield .380 that I bought back in november. Great carry weapon and it actually has a safety, which I have found is a bit usual for pistols recently
nakinawolf
Money spent on an afternoon session with a certified instructor would be well spent. He/she should be able to watch you shoot and diagnose grip/technique issues that will make you a better shot very quickly. Any striker fired pistol such as your Glock is less forgiving wrt bad form than 1911 style handguns and therefore usually harder for most to shoot accurately.
IseWolf22
Apologies is this derails the thread.

I'm generally very supportive of 2nd amendment rights, but I feel like shooting training should be required before a concealed carry permit is issued.

What does NC require to get concealed carry?
packgrad
You shoot at your test to show proficiency. Not a high bar of proficiency, but proficiency nonetheless.
DrummerboyWolf
packgrad said:

I grew up shooting guns, but mostly rifles and shotguns. The only time I shot a pistol was a 22.

Several years ago, I got my concealed carry and bought a 9mm a year thereafter. I've never been coached on properly shooting the pistol and this is where my question lies. I've noticed over the last couple of years I shoot much better with one hand than two. That makes no sense to me. With 2 hands I seem to pull to the left. I feel like it has to do with trigger pull, but also wonder if it's how I hold it.

What sayeth the IPS militia?
It also could be your dominant eye taking over. I am right handed but left eye dominant and I was getting some similar results as you say you are. I had one instructor at the Triangle Shooting Academy who showed me a way to angle your gun, but that didn't really work for me. When I started using the eye with the hand I was pulling the trigger, I became much more accurate. I still had two hands on my 9mm but would switch the trigger hand and base hand and only aim with the eye I was pulling the trigger instead of both eyes.

Not sure if that will help but you need to know which eye is your dominant eye. To find that point at something with both eyes, then close one eye then the other eye and the eye that is on the target is your dominant eye.
Being an N. C. State Fan Builds Great Character
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.