OHio schools may close for remainder of the year

3,624 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AlleyPack
Pilamengineer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wkbn.com/news/coronavirus/governor-ohio-school-closure-might-last-for-academic-year/

Crazy to hear a Governor make a statement like this. What would this do to students? Will they need to repeat the grade? Will they finish classes in an online platform? What about graduating seniors?
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
Pilamengineer said:

https://www.wkbn.com/news/coronavirus/governor-ohio-school-closure-might-last-for-academic-year/

Crazy to hear a Governor make a statement like this. What would this do to students? Will they need to repeat the grade? Will they finish classes in an online platform? What about graduating seniors?
Hopefully they set up distance learning. I fully expect NC to be in the same boat. We will have distance learning after these 2 weeks and go from there. In a document released by the district I work in it said that the CDC recommends schools to close for 8 weeks or more to help with the virus. So we have about 10 weeks left. If they follow those guidelines we ain't going back....
GuerrillaPack
Pilamengineer said:

No. You can't say it is crazy. You are not allowed to disagree with anyone in a position of power. You absolutely must submit to what they decide to do, and even if you initially disagree, you must force yourself to agree with them...or at least signal to others that you have accepted the official position. This is how political correctness works.

Anyone who disagrees with this governor is the one who is crazy. We must shut down our entire society. Over something that is far less deadly than the regular flu. No questions asked. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding, that you must do whatever your overlords demand.
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
GuerrillaPack said:

Pilamengineer said:

No. You can't say it is crazy. You are not allowed to disagree with anyone in a position of power. You absolutely must submit to what they decide to do, and even if you initially disagree, you must force yourself to agree with them...or at least signal to others that you have accepted the official position. This is how political correctness works.

Anyone who disagrees with this governor is the one who is crazy. We must shut down our entire society. Over something that is far less deadly than the regular flu. No questions asked. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding, that you must do whatever your overlords demand.
oh boy
packman78
As I live in Ohio, we were just discussing this with my wife's family who are all teachers. They said since the year is 25% over the Governor could wave finals and move everyone up. But more likely would be virtual classes.
Packchem91
packman78 said:

As I live in Ohio, we were just discussing this with my wife's family who are all teachers. They said since the year is 25% over the Governor could wave finals and move everyone up. But more likely would be virtual classes.
I really feel for all those folks having to make these decisions. Its nothing any of them (or us) have ever had to do.
You have the national medical experts saying one thing. You have mandated schedules and compliance requirements to manage. You have some kids / families who just aren't equipped to handle distance learning.
And you have parents who, living in a world of instant access/news, are demanding updates so they can plan accordingly for all sorts of things.
And then you have the media sittign on top of all of this, some of whom are legitimately just trying to report news, some trying to create news, some trying to slant the news to fit an agenda (either way).

And the social media platforms that make everything more contentious and peer pressured.

And then the doubters, who think everything being done is crazy, wrong.

It's a tough tough time. This is one of those things where we need:
1) compassion
2) patience
3) leadership to step up
4) flexibility

Ground_Chuck
GuerrillaPack said:

Pilamengineer said:

For those that don't visit the off topic board, guerrilla thinks the Earth is flat.

Seriously
wsseymou
Ground_Chuck said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Pilamengineer said:

For those that don't visit the off topic board, guerrilla thinks the Earth is flat.

Seriously
Wait, it isn't????
PackWrestling#1
wsseymou said:

Ground_Chuck said:

GuerrillaPack said:

Pilamengineer said:

Seriously
Wait, it isn't????

Pilamengineer
I was wondering how it might impact recruits as well. If kids can't graduate, that leaves a huge hole.
smitt86
Pilamengineer said:

I'd be shocked if NC schools return to school this year.

Teachers have been told that they can't assign work right now(everything is considered supplemental instead of required work) and I just don't see anyway they're able to just "make up" the time this Summer, especially in regards to HS Seniors.
smitt86
Pilamengineer said:

I was wondering how it might impact recruits as well. If kids can't graduate, that leaves a huge hole.
I don't see them keeping kids from graduating.

I think it's much more likely you see a kid graduating that isn't quite prepared or a kid skirting by with free passing grades the last half of their SR year.
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
smitt86 said:

Pilamengineer said:

I think it's much more likely you see a kid graduating that isn't quite prepared or a kid skirting by with free passing grades the last half of their SR year.
we were told to make sure our grades are all in the gradebook and accurate and up to date by end of day tomorrow.
smitt86
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

smitt86 said:

Pilamengineer said:

we were told to make sure our grades are all in the gradebook and accurate and up to date by end of day tomorrow.
Yeah my wife is a HS teacher too, she had kids emailing her about make-up work and such, she didn't know what to tell them.

I just predict the schools being overly lenient on kids in this situation.
BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER
smitt86 said:

BUCKETTOFCOLDWATER said:

smitt86 said:

Pilamengineer said:

Yeah my wife is a HS teacher too, she had kids emailing her about make-up work and such, she didn't know what to tell them.

I just predict the schools being overly lenient on kids in this situation.
yes we very well could be done......just hope we get paid.
packgrad
Person county teachers are still required to go to work this week. Next week is optional.
Sierrawolf
I'm a teacher too...I know they're paying us for the next few weeks but if they stop after that I'm screwed
Gopackgo93
My daughter is a 2nd year at NCSU CVM and she said they announced that they would not return until the fall. Everything online.
AlleyPack
Sierrawolf said:

I'm a teacher too...I know they're paying us for the next few weeks but if they stop after that I'm screwed

I don't see how teachers WON'T get paid.
All school systems have had teachers (over the past week) preparing to deliver instruction online -- devising virtual lesson plans, coming up with online resources, modifying existing lessons, etc.

School systems won't be ending instruction -- just ending in-person instruction. Assignments/grading look to continue on a "normal" timeline through June.
Thus, teachers will still be working -- and will still need to be paid.

If the state somehow stops pay, then that will mean that students will have zero instrcution from early March until August -- and politcally, they just can't allow that to happen. (or realistically, either, because there are skills the students will need to learn, albeit in obviously less-impactful ways moving forward)
The students will need those skills to move up to a higher level of math next year, the next grade in elementary school, and so on.

So if a teacher, I wouldn't stress about getting paid.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.