NASCAR 2020/2021

78,663 Views | 1160 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wolfer79
Marty Smith America podcast last week (Charlie Daniels edition)

2 really good NASCAR questions

1. What is your favorite car paint scheme of all-time?

2. What race and what driver do you wish you could have been riding shotgun?

Marty's answers
Davey Allison #28 white front gold letters Thunderbird with red and black rear quarter panel

Dale Earnhardt, Jr 2001 Pepsi 400

Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Cup Series
All-Star Race, Bristol Motor Speedway, Bristol, TN
All-Star Open FS1, 7 p.m.
Race FS1, 8:30 p.m.

NASCAR Race Hub FS1, 6 p.m.
Dale Jr. Download NBCSN, 6 p.m
Wolfer79
lot of eyes in 'the business of sports' on NASCAR tonight, I have heard various P-5 conferences, NFL, MLB, and other pro sports leagues will be watching how this goes

Here is test #1
Ryan McGee

Every corner of the sports world will be keeping an eye on tonight's NASCAR All-Star Race at Bristol Motor Speedway, with 30K tickets available at the 160K seat venue, easily the largest sporting event held during the pandemic. Fans must wear masks except when in their seats & those sitting in indoor suites at will have temperature checks. Ticket purchases come with a legal agreement that holder assumes all responsibility for exposure to COVID-19.
Wolfer79
ncsupack1 said:

Will be there with my boys, if everything holds up.

if you are still attending tonight, would you mind posting your thoughts on the non racing part, how was social distancing handed at entry gates and concessions stands, how strictly were masks enforced, etc?

------------
lot of eyes in 'the business of sports' on NASCAR tonight, I have heard various P-5 conferences, NFL, MLB, and other pro sports leagues will be watching how this goes

Here is test #1
Ryan McGee

Every corner of the sports world will be keeping an eye on tonight's NASCAR All-Star Race at Bristol Motor Speedway, with 30K tickets available at the 160K seat venue, easily the largest sporting event held during the pandemic. Fans must wear masks except when in their seats & those sitting in indoor suites at will have temperature checks. Ticket purchases come with a legal agreement that holder assumes all responsibility for exposure to COVID-19.
Bell Tower Grey
Wolfer79 said:

metcalfmafia
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

Classic Wood Brothers.
Wolfer79
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

TheStorm

Earnhardt 1996. Wasn't a big fan of his either at the time...
Bell Tower Grey
metcalfmafia said:

Wolfer79 said:

Dang. They must be trying to sway some of the White Claw drinkers. That's a new low even for Busch beers.
Wolfer79
packgrad
Wolfer, don't know if it's the sea spray or the sand won't let me reply to the DM, but wanted to tell you thanks for the info about tonight's race.
Packchem91
Bell Tower Grey said:

Wolfer79 said:

I grew up as a Buddy Baker & Bill Elliot fan, so I didn't like David Pearson....but man, that is a beautiful car.
Packchem91
Wolfer79 said:

2. What race and what driver do you wish you could have been riding shotgun?

Marty's answers
Davey Allison #28 white front gold letters Thunderbird with red and black rear quarter panel

Dale Earnhardt, Jr 2001 Pepsi 400

Haaa...I was reading BTG's reply to you, which cut off Marty's answers. I was out googling Davey Allison's car from back in the day because that was going to be my answer but when I went to respond to your original post, I see Marty already included it. That was a sharp car.

My other choice would have been the Jr #8 Budweiser red car, but that white version in the Pepsi 400 was pretty sweet.
Bell Tower Grey
Bell Tower Grey

Cale Yarborough's Holly Farms Laguna back in the day was also a sharp car.
Wolfer79
ncsupack1
Thought the race overall was good. I thought I would hate the number placement but wasn't bad. Not sure about the glow lights, needs some work. Jmo Chase had one fast car...congrats
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

.@FS1 earned 2.076 million viewers for last night's NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Race at Bristol, down from 2.448M for last year's race, which was on Saturday night in May at Charlotte.

The Open earned 1.516M, up from 1.210M last year.

FS1 won the night for sports networks. https://t.co/g1mP3PNAx0
Wolfer79
Adam Stern

Bristol had a crowd "in the mid 20s" (20K-plus) for All-Star Race, Speedway Motorsports' @MikeBurchSM tells @Bill_KingSBJ.

: "People were so excited to be at track. For a sport that's dominated by the sound of these race cars, it's amazing how much energy the fanbase brings." https://t.co/Xt5bVNGqfL
ncsupack1
I guess we are finding out that the mid week racing isn't as big of a hit one would thought. I know we've had rain delays and such, but overall it hasn't been the big hit. I for one aren't a big fan of them, I know the sport had to do it cause of COVID-19 but I would say maybe one a year.
ncsupack1
Wolfer79 said:

Adam Stern

Bristol had a crowd "in the mid 20s" (20K-plus) for All-Star Race, Speedway Motorsports' @MikeBurchSM tells @Bill_KingSBJ.

: "People were so excited to be at track. For a sport that's dominated by the sound of these race cars, it's amazing how much energy the fanbase brings." https://t.co/Xt5bVNGqfL

I was there and the crowd looked good. Most people were doing what was asked of them.
Packchem91
ncsupack1 said:

I guess we are finding out that the mid week racing isn't as big of a hit one would thought. I know we've had rain delays and such, but overall it hasn't been the big hit. I for one aren't a big fan of them, I know the sport had to do it cause of COVID-19 but I would say maybe one a year.
I would have sworn ratings would be higher. I'm sure there is a certain "I'm just not used to watching a race on a weeknight and so forgot about it" working against the sport, but other than English Premier League, there is no other quality sports TV out there.
OTOH, I've gotten a bit used to no sports on TV....maybe others have as well.
TraCha4
I like a week night race sprinkled into the season. I hope that carries on.

I was excited to watch the All-Star race. Happy for the fans and was happy for Chase. Have been supportive of Bubba but I kinda think he acted like a baby the other night. Just my opinion though. I know he got wrecked but come on man.... it's all or nothing in that event. As mentioned before I was excited and part of that was due to the race being at Bristol. However, after watching, I hope they move it back to CLT. Things just happen too fast at Bristol. Not enough groves were working to see enough passing unless you put the bumper to someone. Probably could have been better if the stages were longer.

All in all it was fun to watch and glad to see fans.
Bell Tower Grey
Darrell's actions will eventually be his undoing in nascar. He will have no one to blame but himself when it happens.
Steve Williams
Staff
Bell Tower Grey said:

Darrell's actions will eventually be his undoing in nascar. He will have no one to blame but himself when it happens.
I'm a Bubba fan, mainly because I'm a 43 fan. I think a lot of NASCAR folks probably feel the same way I do- the return of racing gave us that three/four hour window each week to get away from the negativity, Covid, race, protests, politics, etc. Bubba (some of it his fault, some of it not his fault) brought politics into NASCAR and to some degree, he embraced it. Whether right or wrong, I think a lot of folks resent him for it.
Bell Tower Grey
Steve Williams said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

I'm a Bubba fan, mainly because I'm a 43 fan. I think a lot of NASCAR folks probably feel the same way I do- the return of racing gave us that three/four hour window each week to get away from the negativity, Covid, race, protests, politics, etc. Bubba (some of it his fault, some of it not his fault) brought politics into NASCAR and to some degree, he embraced it. Whether right or wrong, I think a lot of folks resent him for it.
I tend to agree. I still think that his throwing the water onto Alex Bowman (and the female track medical director) and then cursing Bowman, in addition to his comments about McDowell and leaving car debris on McDowell's hauler after Bristol hurt him as much as his political commentary.

You are right in that he's pissing a lot of folks off - maybe more fans than sponsors and nascar folks. However, since nascar has done its' share of alienating a portion of the fan base then perhaps it won't matter.

I'm at the point with racing that I may flip through and watch a little, then maybe watch the last few laps. I'm nowhere near the viewing fan that I was 10 years ago.
ncsupack1
My main problem with Bubba, no matter what is going on, he has to some how make it about him. It's getting old and will come to a head with either other drivers and or fans. I will say this tho, not all of this is Bubba's fault. NASCAR has aloud it to some point.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
NASCAR
NASCAR Xfinity Series
A Race That Goes for 300 Miles, Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX
Race NBCSN, 3 p.m.

Countdown to Green NBCSN, 2:30 p.m.
NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series
Vankor 350, Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, TX

Race FS1, 8 p.m.

NASCAR RaceDay FS1, 7:30 p.m.
Bell Tower Grey
ncsupack1 said:

My main problem with Bubba, no matter what is going on, he has to some how make it about him. It's getting old and will come to a head with either other drivers and or fans. I will say this tho, not all of this is Bubba's fault. NASCAR has aloud it to some point.
No, it's not all his fault. Hopefully, nascar will have a private meeting with the drivers, crew chiefs and owners and be able to reach a reasonable solution to temper a lot of what is happening. There's plenty of blame to go around. But, the tension all of this has caused needs to be eliminated before things get any worse.
Wolfer79

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.