Podcasts

4,143 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by griff17matt
IseWolf22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any good podcast recommendations? I've been listening to them at the gym recently.

Throw out anything so this can be an open thread for all, but I'm primarily interested in History, Economics, and Science.
IseWolf22
Currently I'm listening to the free Hardcore History episodes. Has anyone sprung for the paid library and was it worth it?
cowboypack02
I enjoyed listening to The Story with Dick Gordon. It was a show for years on NPR that went off in 2013, but was really good while it was on. I'd recommend it if you haven't listened to it before. The original show ran for 7 years

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/381443932/the-story
GuerrillaPack
Robert Sepehr aka "Atlantean Gardens" has excellent material on hidden history. I listen/watch him on YouTube, but I guess it qualifies as a "podcast" if you just listen to the audio.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gkKMGpCgyun7OoEOseryg
"Ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." - John 15:19
griff17matt
ZAXPACK15
IseWolf22 said:

Currently I'm listening to the free Hardcore History episodes. Has anyone sprung for the paid library and was it worth it?
I've listened to just about all of his free content and am considering the paid library as well.
3rd generation CALS grad
Wolfer79
Stuff You Missed in History Class

The Takeout with Major Garrett
dwanna
It's old, so no new episodes currently (although it may be returning)...

Ten Minute Podcast

I just listen back through episodes now (for like the 4th time). First 300 or so episodes is Will Sasso, Chris D'Elia, and Bryan Callen. And then it kinda gets weird(er) for the last 250ish episodes, but it's still my favorite podcast.
statefan91
Reply All - tech related content but funny
Up First - NPR news recap
Stay Tuned - Preet Bahara
This American Life
Serial
Radiolab
Pick Six NFL (hosted by a State guy)
IPS
538 Politics
dwanna
statefan91 said:

Reply All - tech related content but funny
Up First - NPR news recap
Stay Tuned - Preet Bahara
This American Life
Serial
Radiolab
Pick Six NFL (hosted by a State guy)
IPS
538 Politics
I thought IPS podcasts were a given!
packgrad
The Long Dance. It's even better if you're a native of Durham.
PackBacker07
If you like history, I enjoy Ridiculous History and Stuff You Should Know.

I also like most of The Ringer podcasts, *** with Marc Maron, Conan Needs A Friend, and Part-Time Genius. There are some really good true crime pod-series as well, and the 30 for 30 pod-series on the Clippers/Donald Sterling was outstanding.
Y'all means ALL.
engineercoach
Pardon My Take is one of my favorite ones. It focuses mainly on sports. They do interviews with athletes and celebrities. Christian McCaffery is on today's episode.
IseWolf22
ZAXPACK15 said:

IseWolf22 said:

I've listened to just about all of his free content and am considering the paid library as well.
Im halfway through his WW1 series but I've listened to all the other free content. I will probably spring for the paid content soon
ShaggyWolf
I really enjoy some Barstool podcasts.
Pardon My Take - NFL, NBA, and other topics.
Starting 9 - MLB Podcast
mrcpack17
American History Story Tellers.
You didn't mention true crime but Sword and Scale and Criminal are great on that front.
IseWolf22
Yeah I'm not really into true crime, but like I said this thread is more for general discussion so maybe someone else would want to check it out.
wolfpack1437
Rogan and also Hardcore History. Bourbon Pursuit podcast is good too.
packgrad
Bertcast- Comedian Bert Kreischer. It can get a bit redundant but the guy makes me laugh. I don't listen to the ones where he's not interviewing a fellow comedian. That's out of his lane.

2 Bears 1 Cave- Tom Segura and Bert Kreischer. 2 best buddies cutting up
griff17matt
packgrad said:

Bertcast- Comedian Bert Kreischer. It can get a bit redundant but the guy makes me laugh. I don't listen to the ones where he's not interviewing a fellow comedian. That's out of his lane.

BillBert podcast is good too. He just started it with Bill Burr. Not sure if it is a weekly thing or not, but I've seen 3 episodes and I'll watch anything with Burr in it.
PackBacker07
Kind of off topic here, but this is very interesting in regards to media, podcasts, and the merging of the two:

packgrad
griff17matt said:

packgrad said:

BillBert podcast is good too. He just started it with Bill Burr. Not sure if it is a weekly thing or not, but I've seen 3 episodes and I'll watch anything with Burr in it.

Agreed. I love Burr. They're only doing 2 a month. They record them both in one sitting then release them a week or 2 apart. At least that's the way I understood their plan. Listened to their latest one today. Think it was released today too. Hate it when I do that with any of my favorites as it will be a while before I hear the next one. Love Rogan too but he does so many it feels like a job keeping up with all of them. Of course when you make $30 million a year from podcasting, you have to be putting out a **** ton of content.
JocoPack
Another +1 for Pardon My Take. The guys parody the sports media in a way that will have you bent over laughing, but have enough "clout" and fame to pull in some big time guests. The Mark Cuban interview yesterday was great.

Edited to Add: This is NOT a family friendly podcast. Definitely rated R.
RyanFinleysLayupMove
I really like the Joe Rogan Experience when he has on MMA fighters and comedians
pblanks
Another for Pardon My Take.

Aside from the Ringer sports pods, the Rewatchables is a great way to kill an hour listening to a discussion of your favorite movies from the past.
griff17matt
IseWolf22 said:

ZAXPACK15 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Im halfway through his WW1 series but I've listened to all the other free content. I will probably spring for the paid content soon
2/3rds of the way through this same series based off this thread's recommendation. I like that he uses a lot of the source material I've read so far and puts it in more of a narrative. Really enjoying it so far, so thanks for the suggestion!
octdregs
The Adam Carolla podcast is really entertaining. The history podcasts are fun too.
*be the person your dog thinks you are*
IseWolf22
griff17matt said:

IseWolf22 said:

ZAXPACK15 said:

IseWolf22 said:

2/3rds of the way through this same series based off this thread's recommendation. I like that he uses a lot of the source material I've read so far and puts it in more of a narrative. Really enjoying it so far, so thanks for the suggestion!
Yeah it was a great listen. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the paid content.

Right now I'm well into 'The History or Rome' which is very long, like 150 20-25 min episodes.
griff17matt
IseWolf22 said:

griff17matt said:

IseWolf22 said:

ZAXPACK15 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Yeah it was a great listen. I still haven't pulled the trigger on the paid content.

Right now I'm well into 'The History or Rome' which is very long, like 150 20-25 min episodes.

Has anyone listened to any good WWII podcasts? History Unplugged or A History of WWII?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.