Back pain (muscular) -- Anything worked for you?

4,644 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ValleyWolf
AlleyPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've battled muscular (not disc related) back pain for close to 20 years.
I finally thought I was over it, as I went nearly two years without a spasm/setback -- thanks in large part to stretching my hamstrings (I thought/felt). However, the issues have returned.

Anyone with similar struggles -- what has worked for you?
I know there are dozens of things to try (and I've tried lots of them), but am looking for any personal success stories... if there are any out there.

Thanks!
RunsWithWolves26
I say this in advance. I had back surgery at 18 years old. It was my graduation gift 4 days after graduation. Mine was a disc issue and was fixed with surgery. What they found during surgery was I had degenerative disc disorder. Basically, they told me my back was aged at that time to a 60 year olds back.

They gave me a ton of stretches and things to do to strengthen my lower back in order to help offset the issues that would come from my problem. Those stretches worked well but my spasms would still occur and I would always feel like my back was tight. My dad, who has also struggled with back issues his entire life, purchased a inversion table several years ago. Personally, that is the one thing I've found that truly helps me. Let me say this. If you've never used one, don't freak out the first time you do. You will feel like you're about to pass out. When you come back up, give your head a minute to readjust to being straight up. I used it daily for about 10 mins and it made a huge difference for me. Another thing that has worked well for me is a tens unit. Basically vibrating and pulsing shocks to the back almost like the chiro does.

Hope some of this helps you. I will say, chiro did work well for me. It did help my back but more then anything, it completely eliminated my inner ear infections I was fighting every couple of months.
AlleyPack
Thanks.
I have a TENS unit and will start using it more.

What about an EMS device? Any experience with one of those?
RunsWithWolves26
AlleyPack said:

Thanks.
I have a TENS unit and will start using it more.

What about an EMS device? Any experience with one of those?

I don't. I just know the inversion table helped me a lot. Stretched me in places I didn't even realize I could be stretched in. Helped me sleep better at night as well. I found with the TENS unit, what worked best for me was the pulse feature and not the steady vibration. I always put one pad above the area that was tight, sore, etc and one below. Was told that was how it worked best and it seems to work best for me that way as well
wilmwolf
Been dealing with various back issues for almost three decades. Have a history of back problems on both sides of the family. When I was around 12 I was diagnosed with a fusion at L5 vertebrae that was thought to be the cause of my pain. Was told at that time that there wasn't much to do other than strengthen my core and learn to deal with it.

I've had various issues since, most lower back related, though I do have problems with my neck and shoulders. I've been overweight since the end of college, and anytime I've had issues and gone to the doctor, that's the first thing they say is causing it, which by the way is a super frustrating thing about being over weight and going to the doctor. Honestly, I mostly avoid bringing it up at the doctor. I don't want to be on any pain meds, and I have two family members that have had back surgery, and I know I don't want that. I've been working out and eating healthy for 2.5 years, and I've lost 50+ pounds, but haven't really seen a magical decrease in back problems. I also started having sciatic issues last year in both legs, and that's been difficult.

As for treatment, I've focused on strengthening my core muscles and various stretching exercises. I have a stretch rope, which is incredibly handy for stretching hamstrings and lower back. I do work with a firm foam roller, which helps with the upper back and shoulders. For lower back and hard to reach areas I have a little rubber thing that looks like two racquet balls fused together that I roll on. When I feel tightness or spasms coming on, I typically get on the treadmill and walk at a comfortable brisk pace for 45 minutes to an hour, and that helps. First instinct seems to be to lay down and take it easy when it starts hurting, but making myself walk, even if it's painful, really does seem to make a difference in the long run. I've never gone to a chiropractor, although I know people that have been helped by it, I've just always been sceptical. I have a TENS unit that I've used, primarily for the sciatica, and it has helped. After dealing with it for so long, I just assume I'll always have back issues and try to handle it as best I can when they come up. I wish there was a magic cure all, but I haven't found it yet.

Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
RunsWithWolves26
wilmwolf80 said:

Been dealing with various back issues for almost three decades. Have a history of back problems on both sides of the family. When I was around 12 I was diagnosed with a fusion at L5 vertebrae that was thought to be the cause of my pain. Was told at that time that there wasn't much to do other than strengthen my core and learn to deal with it.

I've had various issues since, most lower back related, though I do have problems with my neck and shoulders. I've been overweight since the end of college, and anytime I've had issues and gone to the doctor, that's the first thing they say is causing it, which by the way is a super frustrating thing about being over weight and going to the doctor. Honestly, I mostly avoid bringing it up at the doctor. I don't want to be on any pain meds, and I have two family members that have had back surgery, and I know I don't want that. I've been working out and eating healthy for 2.5 years, and I've lost 50+ pounds, but haven't really seen a magical decrease in back problems. I also started having sciatic issues last year in both legs, and that's been difficult.

As for treatment, I've focused on strengthening my core muscles and various stretching exercises. I have a stretch rope, which is incredibly handy for stretching hamstrings and lower back. I do work with a firm foam roller, which helps with the upper back and shoulders. For lower back and hard to reach areas I have a little rubber thing that looks like two racquet balls fused together that I roll on. When I feel tightness or spasms coming on, I typically get on the treadmill and walk at a comfortable brisk pace for 45 minutes to an hour, and that helps. First instinct seems to be to lay down and take it easy when it starts hurting, but making myself walk, even if it's painful, really does seem to make a difference in the long run. I've never gone to a chiropractor, although I know people that have been helped by it, I've just always been sceptical. I have a TENS unit that I've used, primarily for the sciatica, and it has helped. After dealing with it for so long, I just assume I'll always have back issues and try to handle it as best I can when they come up. I wish there was a magic cure all, but I haven't found it yet.

A little off topic WW but seeing as you're in the Wilmington area, maybe you should make an appointment with Dr. Graybar. He is a great chiro who figured my issue out and got me to the doc that I needed. I don't know if yours warrants a surgery but if it does, please go see Dr. Graybar and he will refer you to Dr. Huffman in Wilmington. Hands down, he is the best of the best around NC. Surgery can be scary but the new technology they have now is amazing. He did mine surgery 18 years ago and you can't even see my scar. IF, and I hope you don't have to, you have to go that route, touch base with me.
wilmwolf
Appreciate that. I know Graybar, he has a good reputation. Thankfully I'm at a point where it's still relatively rare for me to have what I consider serious discomfort. More nagging pains with the occasional flare up once or twice a year. If I ever get to that point, I'll be sure to go see him.
Glasswolf
I'll second what RWW offered. Inversion table, stretches and occasional visits to a chiropractor. I broke my back in 1996 and all the above have helped
wilmwolf
Wanted to add that I bought a very large ice pack from Amazon, like as big as a doormat, that is very helpful for giving my whole back an ice down.
Bell Tower Grey
Glasswolf said:

I'll second what RWW offered. Inversion table, stretches and occasional visits to a chiropractor. I broke my back in 1996 and all the above have helped
I sustained a severe back injury 25 years ago. I have managed to avoid surgery due to regular chiropractor visits (twice monthly) and use of an inversion table while at the chiropractor's office. He has suggested that I purchase an inversion table at home, but so far I haven't felt the need to, based on my results with him.

Best of luck with your treatment. Only those with back issues know what you're dealing with.
Steve Williams
Staff
Terrible back issues for years. Can be good for months and then one wrong move in the gym and you feel crippled. For me, literally the ONLY thing that has helped is prednisone.
cowboypack02
Steve Williams said:

Terrible back issues for years. Can be good for months and then one wrong move in the gym and you feel crippled. For me, literally the ONLY thing that has helped is prednisone.
My dog was given prednisone one time for swelling and it changed her personality. She ended up alot more aggressive towards other dogs and had issues controlling her bladder for months afterwards. Did you have the same problem?

I'm serious about the dog but just teasing you Steve. Back pain sucks
READ
As crazy as it sounds, exercise has helped me live back pain free. I had a sequestered disc, ruptured disc and bulging disc in 2009. The dr wanted to do surgery but I decided against it. I started going to yoga for 2 years and eventually started vigorous exercise. I've gone from having numbness in my left foot to being able to deadlift over 400 lbs. I eventually joined a crossfit gym and at 48 I'm in the best shape of my life. I check my ego at the door and exercise to my abilities which is hard when some young, cock-strong 20 something is running his mouth in the gym. I no longer try to max any of my lifts. Instead I focus on lighter weights and more repetitions creating more core strength. I have had several friends that have followed my suggestions of getting more fit and their back pain has subsided as well.

Also, one thing that is overlooked is your diet. Sugar is an inflammatory. Cut it out of your diet as much as you can. My brain function has increased, muscle soreness has decreased and the mid-afternoon slump is less. The older I have gotten the more I pay attention to what I put in my body and I pay attention to what makes me feel sluggish when I eat and eliminate it from my diet.

I also go to the chiropractor as well as get a monthly massage.

Dr Reeg ( great physician in Greenville and he has since moved to the Triangle I think) was my physician who has a great reputation. I told him what I have been able to accomplish and he just shook his head in disbelief. Modern medicine wants to fix your body with medicine and surgery. Homeopathic/ natural wants to heal your body in less intrusive ways which is the way I chose. Choose what's right for you but for me it was the natural way along with exercise.

Now if you can give me tips on getting rid of seasonal allergies I will be forever indebted to you.
RunsWithWolves26
READ said:

As crazy as it sounds, exercise has helped me live back pain free. I had a sequestered disc, ruptured disc and bulging disc in 2009. The dr wanted to do surgery but I decided against it. I started going to yoga for 2 years and eventually started vigorous exercise. I've gone from having numbness in my left foot to being able to deadlift over 400 lbs. I eventually joined a crossfit gym and at 48 I'm in the best shape of my life. I check my ego at the door and exercise to my abilities which is hard when some young, cock-strong 20 something is running his mouth in the gym. I no longer try to max any of my lifts. Instead I focus on lighter weights and more repetitions creating more core strength. I have had several friends that have followed my suggestions of getting more fit and their back pain has subsided as well.

Also, one thing that is overlooked is your diet. Sugar is an inflammatory. Cut it out of your diet as much as you can. My brain function has increased, muscle soreness has decreased and the mid-afternoon slump is less. The older I have gotten the more I pay attention to what I put in my body and I pay attention to what makes me feel sluggish when I eat and eliminate it from my diet.

I also go to the chiropractor as well as get a monthly massage.

Dr Reeg ( great physician in Greenville and he has since moved to the Triangle I think) was my physician who has a great reputation. I told him what I have been able to accomplish and he just shook his head in disbelief. Modern medicine wants to fix your body with medicine and surgery. Homeopathic/ natural wants to heal your body in less intrusive ways which is the way I chose. Choose what's right for you but for me it was the natural way along with exercise.

Now if you can give me tips on getting rid of seasonal allergies I will be forever indebted to you.

Seasonal allergies. Find local, I don't mean the county over or the state but local and take a tablespoon once a day. Kicked mine to the curb doing exactly that years ago
IseWolf22
Exercise has also fixed my back issues. I'm in a bit of a different situation then you guys since I'm only 28, but I started having really bad pain up and down my spine at 24. Years of bad posture finally hit me when I was flying for work every week and working 12 hour days hunched over a laptop.

Around 26 I got serious about fitness and noticed a big difference. A stronger core fixed my lower back. My upper back took longer, and didn't really get resolved until I started barbell training about a year ago. (READ, I can only DL 360 right now but I have my eyes on 400). I still have some nagging shoulder pain but that's been getting progressively better since I started really training my rear delts a couple months ago.

TLDNR, my pain was due to muscle weakness and imbalances. Correcting those imbalances and getting stronger helped immensely. Oh and having a sit to stand adjustable desk at my current job has been great.
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

Exercise has also fixed my back issues. I'm in a bit of a different situation then you guys since I'm only 28, but I started having really bad pain up and down my spine at 24. Years of bad posture finally hit me when I was flying for work every week and working 12 hour days hunched over a laptop.

Around 26 I got serious about fitness and noticed a big difference. A stronger core fixed my lower back. My upper back took longer, and didn't really get resolved until I started barbell training about a year ago. (READ, I can only DL 360 right now but I have my eyes on 400). I still have some nagging shoulder pain but that's been getting progressively better since I started really training my rear delts a couple months ago.

TLDNR, my pain was due to muscle weakness and imbalances. Correcting those imbalances and getting stronger helped immensely. Oh and having a sit to stand adjustable desk at my current job has been great.
Ise - You're day in front of a laptop sounds a whole lot like mine. Mind if i ask you how you motivated yourself and how you started your workout routine? I really struggle with that myself and my weight has shot up and i have been dealing with pains and soreness in my ankles, knees, and wrist
Steve Williams
Staff
cowboypack02 said:

IseWolf22 said:

Ise - You're day in front of a laptop sounds a whole lot like mine. Mind if i ask you how you motivated yourself and how you started your workout routine? I really struggle with that myself and my weight has shot up and i have been dealing with pains and soreness in my ankles, knees, and wrist
Not Ise but I go to the gym 5-6 times a week for an hour each workout. Man, it is so hard at my age to find the motivation to do it but I just focus on the first five minutes. I know if I get those first five minutes behind me, the rest is a breeze. That's worked for the last 15 years. BTW, sounds crazy but I start every workout with 25 jumping jacks. That's how we started every PT session in the Marine Corps and it still works pretty good today lol
IseWolf22
It was a long process. I started going in the morning because I couldn't predict how long my day would be at work. First couple months were rough. Not great workouts and deciding to skip one day in 3 to sleep more. But eventually I got used to it. Don't beat yourself up for falling off your plan on diet or exercise. Just get back at it as soon as you can
PackMom
Although the source of my back/hip discomfort is not muscular, exercise is the best thing to help me as well. I get up and walk early in the morning (before daylight so not many people see me, LOL). Most nights I go to bed thinking maybe I'll skip it in the morning, but once I get up and get out there it's good. Like ISE, if I get out there first thing then it's done and I don't have to try to fit it in later.
statefan91
If you think it's muscular you may want to try Acupuncture. I've had it work much better than massage and last longer from a relief standpoint. Many times you can cover appointments with an HSA card as well.
IseWolf22
I'll also added that home exercise really helped me. I was never able to get to a gym consistently. Buying a bench, a pull-up bar and adjustable dumbells can let you do a ton. (For pullups I started with a a chair to to assist with body weight).
Although I have more stuff now and do standard bar programs, my first year of working out was just those 3 pieces of equipment and some of the Beachbody video programs
AlleyPack
Thanks for all the replies so far.
After this latest setback I have decided to focus on refining my core strength and flexibility (as others alluded to).
I'm about a week into a regimen called "Low Back Pain Program -- Relieve, Recondition, Return" by Sherwin Nicholson.

It got good reviews on Amazon, the preview showed a lot of slow-paced, ease-into-things stretches and exercises, and so forth.
The real kicker was in the "intro" section of the book, the author pretty much described my symptoms (both physical and mental) to a T.

So anyway, yeah, that is the current plan. Slowly work on this program (which the book even says could take 4-6 months to fully recondition your core strength and flexibility), try and walk more each day, and also stay positive about it all. (In my research I found a suprising number of sources that said that one's mood can actually affect/cause lower back pain. Not ready to fully buy that yet... but I'm not ready to fully discount it, either. LOL.)
CloudPack
I'm late to the party here but I had what I thought was lower back problems which were strictly muscular in nature and it turned out to by my psoas. I didn't even know I had one of those but stretching and exercising my hip flexors really helped me. Best of luck!
AlleyPack
CloudPack said:

I'm late to the party here but I had what I thought was lower back problems which were strictly muscular in nature and it turned out to by my psoas. I didn't even know I had one of those but stretching and exercising my hip flexors really helped me. Best of luck!

Do you recall the specific stretches and exercises you did, CloudPack? Thanks
AlleyPack
AlleyPack said:

After this latest setback I have decided to focus on refining my core strength and flexibility (as others alluded to).
I'm about a week into a regimen called "Low Back Pain Program -- Relieve, Recondition, Return" by Sherwin Nicholson.

Bumping this back to the top.
I'm finishing up week three of the above program, and so far, so good.
I can definitely tell that some changes are going on with regards to the flexibility, mobility, and strength of my core muscles/areas. Still a long ways to go (it's a roughly 16-week program), but I'm looking forward to it.
CloudPack
If you google psoas stretches there are some videos on YouTube. I'm not sure what the proper name for the stretch is, or how else to describe it but to say it's kind of a lunge paired with pulling your torso to the side. You'll feel it all the way from your hip to your lower back on the side being stretched. I'd suggest practicing your hip hinge a lot as well. It sounds ridiculous but even brushing your teeth you may be leaned over the sink and putting strain on your lower back without a proper hip hinge. I lift weights every day and that is often what caused my issues, so I've found that figuring out what triggers you (such as a particular exercise or movement) can help to avoid problems. Of course sometimes you could be taking out the trash and throw it out and there's just nothing you can do. I feel for you - when putting on your socks is the most challenging part of your day it's brutal. Hope this helps!
ValleyWolf
Back problems for almost 50 years
Bent knee situps three times a week are my preventative.
Correctly fitted running shoes and inserts stopped pain when I had it.
Pain Rx is ice pack. Really numbs it for me.
Meds and heat have never worked.
Good luck!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.