1917 Movie

5,062 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by statefan91
statefan91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really awesome movie - have seen it twice already. Highly recommend if any of you are thinking about seeing it. Definitely recommend it for an in-theater experience.
vanuel
I'd like to see it. I've done a lot of reading of WW1 history and literature. It's a fascinating period of history.
griff17matt
vanuel said:

I'd like to see it. I've done a lot of reading of WW1 history and literature. It's a fascinating period of history.
Any books that stick out to you? A World Undone by GJ Meyer is a personal favorite.
cowboypack02
griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

Any books that stick out to you? A World Undone by GJ Meyer is a personal favorite.
I know this question isn't directed at me but I am just about finished with The Unknowns. The book is about the WWI troops from the US that brought home the unknown soldier and what each of them experienced during the war.

Great read and I really recommend it
griff17matt
cowboypack02 said:

griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

I know this question isn't directed at me but I am just about finished with The Unknowns. The book is about the WWI troops from the US that brought home the unknown soldier and what each of them experienced during the war.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

As an aside, I'd assume we're coming up on a time to try to identify the unknown soldier, right? I mean, is the symbolism greater than finding out his story? I'd wager if we can find killers through commercial DNA databases, we could do the same for this fella, right?
GuerrillaPack
griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

"War Is A Racket" by Major General Smedley Butler. He was a Marine Corps officer who fought in WWI, two-time Medal of Honor recipient, and at the time of his death was the most decorated Marine in U.S. History.

You ain't turning this into yet another one of your rants

cowboypack02
griff17matt said:

cowboypack02 said:

griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

As an aside, I'd assume we're coming up on a time to try to identify the unknown soldier, right? I mean, is the symbolism greater than finding out his story? I'd wager if we can find killers through commercial DNA databases, we could do the same for this fella, right?

I think the difference would be that there is no DNA to go on for the unknown soldier so there is nothing to compare it to for identification.

I always figured that they could use a process of elimination to give us a rough idea, but who knows.
vanuel
griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

For history, The Guns Of August, by Barbara Tulloch and The First World War by Hew Strachen are two that I have read and would highly recommend. The Guns of August is older but a classic. I liked Her Privates We, but tired of it. I think by that point I was getting burned out. That one is more from the individual soldier's viewpoint. All Quiet On The Western Front is obvious, but most of us last read it in high school.

For fiction, For Whom The Bell Tolls is the one. I read it in high school too, but it's a totally different read when you are older.

I haven't read A World Undone. It looks like it would be outstanding.
griff17matt
vanuel said:

griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

For history, The Guns Of August, by Barbara Tulloch and The First World War by Hew Strachen are two that I have read and would highly recommend. The Guns of August is older but a classic. I liked Her Privates We, but tired of it. I think by that point I was getting burned out. That one is more from the individual soldier's viewpoint. All Quiet On The Western Front is obvious, but most of us last read it in high school.

For fiction, For Whom The Bell Tolls is the one. I read it in high school too, but it's a totally different read when you are older.

I have The Guns of August in my Audible library but haven't gotten around to it yet. Will probably do so after I finish the Shelby Foote Civil War series I'm currently in.

If you like A World Undone, Meyer also has a book called The World Remade about America's part in WWI which is outstanding as well. His two other books, The Borgias and The Tudors, are excellent in their own regard too. I really like the way he tells a story, obviously.
statefan91
Hardcore History also had a great WWI series. It's six parts. Here is the first one in podcast - https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/
ZAXPACK15
statefan91 said:

Hardcore History also had a great WWI series. It's six parts. Here is the first one in podcast - https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/
I've listened to the whole series and it is incredible. Dan did an Addendum episode too comparing the German Imperial Army to the Nazi Wehrmacht and that was great as well.
3rd generation CALS grad
ZAXPACK15
I really like the movie and how it was shot, but the woman and baby scene in the middle seemed to be forced into it and slightly distracting from everything else. The first half of the movie was so intense from the moment they got their orders though and I appreciated how they did that.
3rd generation CALS grad
statefan91
ZAXPACK15 said:

I really like the movie and how it was shot, but the woman and baby scene in the middle seemed to be forced into it and slightly distracting from everything else. The first half of the movie was so intense from the moment they got their orders though and I appreciated how they did that.
I think it was there for a couple reasons - to humanize the effort even more, to draw a parallel to his personal life and the family he's left at home, to drill home the "how hard it is to leave" aspect of it vs continuing on with the fight / mission
cowboypack02
This movie is going to finally be playing at the movie theater here in town. Looking forward to going and seeing it over the next week or two
ZAXPACK15
statefan91 said:

ZAXPACK15 said:

I think it was there for a couple reasons - to humanize the effort even more, to draw a parallel to his personal life and the family he's left at home, to drill home the "how hard it is to leave" aspect of it vs continuing on with the fight / mission
I agree, it did have a purpose but was it worth it since it felt forced to me. Either way, great movie and I've seen it twice now which I usually never do while it's still in theaters.
3rd generation CALS grad
statefan91
ZAXPACK15 said:

I agree, it did have a purpose but was it worth it since it felt forced to me. Either way, great movie and I've seen it twice now which I usually never do while it's still in theaters.

Agreed on seeing it twice, it's a great movie to see in theaters
vanuel
griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

griff17matt said:

vanuel said:

I have The Guns of August in my Audible library but haven't gotten around to it yet. Will probably do so after I finish the Shelby Foote Civil War series I'm currently in.

If you like A World Undone, Meyer also has a book called The World Remade about America's part in WWI which is outstanding as well. His two other books, The Borgias and The Tudors, are excellent in their own regard too. I really like the way he tells a story, obviously.
I'll check it out. If you haven't already read it, take a look at This Kind Of War by T. R. Fehrenbach. It's one of the best military histories I have read. It's specifically about the Korean War but his insights about wars and democracy would likely appeal to you based on the Meyer books.
Cornpack
Saw it last night. Very well done and truly unique cinematography. Deserves every award it wins and highly reccomend it.
Retired internet funny guy
Steve Williams
Staff
Looking forward to seeing this.
Buzz
Saw it Saturday night with my dad. Agree with everyone else...fantastic movie that is probably best enjoyed in the theater.

I found the cinematography and way it was shot to be extremely compelling. The "continuous take" aspect really makes you feel the stress of the objective...as if you were directly involved in the mission. Also did a great job of making you understand what kind of living hell that war was, even without the focus on a "typical" battle scene. Very well done.
cowboypack02
Finally say this last night. Great movie!
vanuel
Can't wait to see this
statefan91
It really is so good. I want to see it a 3rd time but I have a lot of other things that have come out that I want to see first.

For the record, I have AMC A List where you can see 3 movies/week for $20/month. I never see close to that but if you see 2 movies in a month you've already paid for it.
Run4Fun
Saw it last night. Drama was intense and a great story. But I'd give it 4 stars.
CLTWolf
statefan91 said:

It really is so good. I want to see it a 3rd time but I have a lot of other things that have come out that I want to see first.

For the record, I have AMC A List where you can see 3 movies/week for $20/month. I never see close to that but if you see 2 movies in a month you've already paid for it.
Damn, I should look into that. My wife is a CPA and we're smack dab in the middle of busy season for her which means she works 65-80 hours a week, 6 days a week. To keep my sanity, she hangs with the kids on Sundays and I go see a movie. Gives me two hours to my self away from the kids during busy season. Long story long, I see a movie every Sunday. Hell, I saw two this weekend.

1917 was AMAZING. I saw it opening weekend and immediately text my wife saying if 1917 didn't win best cinematography I want to see the movie that did.

Uncut Gems was another one that I saw recently that was really really good. Adam Sandler was just great in this movie.

The $3.49 Theater in Matthews helps keep my movie costs somewhat low. lol
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
statefan91
You really should sign up, seeing at least 2 movies per month at an AMC and you've already paid for it. You can also use it through Fandango and reserve your seats easily so that helps. I haven't been to the theatre in Matthews in a long time, does it still have the 90s decor?

Uncut Gems was great but it was just 2 hours of anxiety.
CLTWolf
statefan91 said:

You really should sign up, seeing at least 2 movies per month at an AMC and you've already paid for it. You can also use it through Fandango and reserve your seats easily so that helps. I haven't been to the theatre in Matthews in a long time, does it still have the 90s decor?

Uncut Gems was great but it was just 2 hours of anxiety.
Oh yeah, same shtty decor and the same shtty seats from the 90s (I assume lol)

I'll have to look to see if Regal has a deal like that as I'm really close to at least two Regal cinemas and only close to one AMC theater.

Dark Waters is another one that was really really good that I've seen lately.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
statefan91
They do but I don't know much about it - https://www.regmovies.com/static/en/us/unlimited
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.