PR owner donates $500 in food cards monthly to help students

2,109 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wolfer79
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?

By donating Players Retreat gift cards for food-insecure students to use, he knew he could both help feed them and help ensure they wouldn't feel they couldn't join their friends for a night out.

"There's a little stigma to that," he said. "By giving them gift cards, when the guys say, 'let's go get something to eat,' they've got a gift card and can go to the Players Retreat."

Mike Giancola, assistant vice provost and a student ombudsperson, echoed Gusler's sentiment about the importance of meeting needs, with dignity.

"Without this support, some students are faced with the choice of not going out with their friends or working on a group project over a meal because they don't have the funds," Giancola said.

Each month, Gusler and his team give $500 worth of gift cards to be distributed to students. When they have special events, such as the Old Tuffy beer launch this year, they'll donate even more.

Ground_Chuck
This is so awesome. Love that place.
Glasswolf
Good people run that place. I haven't been in years. May need to change that.
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Bell Tower Grey
What a great thing to provide for these students.. Think and Do by example.
WolfpackCPA
Always a favorite spot to hit in Raleigh
FuzzyRed
Gusler is just a high quality individual.
statefan91
Quote:

Gusler hopes others might consider joining him in the future by supporting the Pack Essentials initiative, which provides a variety of resources for students struggling with food, housing and financial insecurity.
"I feel like we're helping out a lot, but the need is far greater than we can do by ourselves," Gusler said.
The idea that students are trying to earn their degree while they go hungry is disheartening to him.
"My understanding is that most of these students that are food insecure are first-generation college students I was first-generation as well," he said. "I would just encourage other people and organizations to step up."
Awesome story. Too bad there aren't better programs in place to prevent him from needing to set up something like this.
IseWolf22
There are multiple programs to provide food for these students. What they can't do is easily eat at off campus restaurants where their fellow students may want to work on a project or *gasp* have a beer with their friends. This is letting some people be more like normal students, not feeding the starving.

Good for the owners.

statefan91
Yeah, we're not talking about different things..
Wolfer79
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.