NBA Deference to China

1,941 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cowboypack02
IseWolf22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else following this story? Daryl Morey tweets support for Hong Kong, China freaks out and the NBA bends over themselves to make sure they aren't offending the Communist Party.
China is a major, major market for the NBA, but this seems pretty craven.

https://reason.com/2019/10/07/the-nba-cares-more-about-making-money-in-mainland-china-than-supporting-freedom-in-hong-kong/
wilmwolf
No matter what moral stances, social causes, political parties, or any other affiliations a person or group may have, no matter what public posturing they may do, statements they may make, at the end of the day, it's all about the almighty dollar. Anyone that tries to claim otherwise is full of it. The people that run the NBA would rather be rich hypocrites than risk losing that money.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
statefan91
Although initially the NBA bent over backwards, it does seem like they've basically said to China that they respect free speech and to kindly f' off if they're not comfortable with that: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/08/sports/adam-silver-nba-china-hong-kong.html
PackDaddy
I'll have to say that I think Adam Silver has handled this the best that he could. He has been an outstanding commissioner and I'd love to see someone like him as president.
PackBacker07
PackDaddy said:

I'll have to say that I think Adam Silver has handled this the best that he could. He has been an outstanding commissioner and I'd love to see someone like him as president.

Totally agree.
Y'all means ALL.
IseWolf22
PackDaddy said:

How so? The original reaction from the league was terrible.

Any organization that purports social justice should not be bending over backwards for China.
cowboypack02
IseWolf22 said:

PackDaddy said:

How so? The original reaction from the league was terrible.

Any organization that purports social justice should not be bending over backwards for China.
IseWolf is spot on here.

I don't think that Lebron James saying what he said yesterday helps the situation at all for the NBA at all either
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.