Knee Replacement Surgery - Seeking advice from my fellow Wolfpackers

1,724 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NCSUBill
RayJam
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About 10-years ago, I was told that I needed to get my knee replaced; i.e. zero cartilage on the left-side of my right knee. I was living in Asia at the time and constantly traveling in the region. Finally, in 2015, after 20 consecutive years of living overseas, I returned to the Raleigh. And an orthopedic surgeon at Duke Medical said that I needed knee replacement surgery but recommended that I postpone the surgery as long as could stand the pain. Unexpectedly, I had to return to Asia, again, for a 2-year expatriate assignment. And in 2018, I finally made it back to Raleigh; but, crazily, to support an old consulting client; I started working in Louisiana while my family remained in Raleigh (two adopted kids at NCSU). Anyway, my knee has totally deteriorated and often the pain is, practically, unbearable; and the docs don't like giving me the opioids. So, I'm looking for recommendations for an orthopedic surgeon in Raleigh; as I want to have the surgery early next year (too heavily involved in a project in Louisiana to take any time off currently). And I want the operation done in Raleigh where me family is; versus getting it done in the Bayou.

Even though I am native to the Raleigh-Durham area (and no relatives, family in the area anymore), I don't really know any doctors, etc. So, I'm hoping one of my fellow Wolfpackers can make a recommendation on a doctor, clinic, etc. And if of you have had the surgery, maybe share your experience with me. I only been in the hospital once in my life; brain-surgery in Thailand!

FYI, I'm currently 67-years old, and since being in Louisiana; I've twice had steroid injections in my knee, the highly-expensive gel-injection once in my knee, and an injection in my backside; all with very short-lived benefits. So, I guess that I'm ready to go "under-the-knife".

I'd appreciate any help/guidance that you can me. I can best be contacted at kellyraym@gmail.com

Many thanks (in advance) fellow Wolfpackers.
PackMom
Dr. John Chiavetta at Raleigh Orthopaedic specializes in total joint replacement. He operated on a family member of mine following an accident and we were very pleased with his skill and the results.

He did attend that place in Chapel Hill for undergrad and medical, if that matters to you. Our situation was an emergency and there was no opportunity to research options. If I needed his services I would not hesitate to call him.

Good luck to you with your knee, and with tolerating the pain until you get it repaired.
RayJam
Thanks for the info.
NCSUBill
I would try PRP or Stem Cell treatment first. While not covered by insurance, cheaper than deductible and copay for surgery. Down time is about 2 days.

If it doesn't work, can get replaced.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.