Candid Coaches: Would your team visit the White House if it won the national title?

10,694 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IseWolf22
Thenewclass13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Candid Coaches: Would your team visit Donald Trump in the White House if it won the national title?

I debated Putting this in water cooler but the article doesn't really get political and is under the context of college basketball so i'll post it here and if a mod thinks it should be moved cool.

this was the most interesting part to me:

Quote:

Left-leaning coaches made it clear they would've had no problem visiting President Bush while right-leaning coaches insisted they would've been thrilled to visit President Barack Obama. Like so many other things right now, this issue is unique to Trump.

cowboypack02
If State won the national championship I would hope they would accept an invitation to the White House, regardless of President. It would be an one in a lifetime opportunity for everyone I'm sure.
ncsupack1
This...I would hope that they would go.
navywolf
I have very strong political opinions, but I would go regardless of who was in the White House and I wouldn't deny the kids that opportunity either.
Thenewclass13
I think, and have always thought. that it should be the player's decision. they played, they won, they should decide.
DeeJay26
Definitely players decision. Although it would be cool to see the White House, the guy who's currently president isn't my cup of tea.
Thenewclass13
DeeJay26 said:

Definitely players decision. Although it would be cool to see the White House, the guy who's currently president isn't my cup of tea.
I believe (and i could be wrong) that the only thing extra they get is that meeting with the president. Everything else they see is covered in a normal white house tour.
Pack87
A regular White House tour is not that easy to get. Have to go through your Congressman. Definitely would not want to pass up an opportunity of a lifetime for a short lived protest that will not matter after the next news cycle.
wilmwolf
I haven't liked most of the presidents in my lifetime, but if given the opportunity to meet one, I would have taken it. Hell, I once met Christian Laettener and got his autograph, and there aren't many people more dis-likable than him.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Thenewclass13
Pack87 said:

A regular White House tour is not that easy to get. Have to go through your Congressman. Definitely would not want to pass up an opportunity of a lifetime for a short lived protest that will not matter after the next news cycle.
Really interesting. I just verified this? has it always been liked his because i feel like there used to be scheduled tours daily, I've been on one when i was in Middle school on a summer rip with my mom
wilmwolf
9/11
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
IseWolf22
I went in middle school as well, several years after 9/11 and there were a ton of people there. But who knows, maybe the school got the local congressman to arrange it

As far as going to the Whitehouse, yes it should be a players decision. I would not blame them for saying no
Thenewclass13
wilmwolf80 said:

9/11
Oh well that tracks
MNPACK
I would want them to go and enjoy the experience regardless of who is in the Whitehouse - how many people get to say they met the highest ranked person in our government? You should respect the office - you don't have to like the occupant. There have been several presidents that I personally did not like but I would have taken the opportunity to meet them out of respect to the office.
dogplasma
Absolutely I would meet with POTUS. Also, on an unrelated note, I slow down to look at bad traffic accidents.
howlie
If you don't mind, please go ahead and move this to the brickyard.
This discussion is a whole, whole lot more about what's going on in this particular White House,
as opposed to any real expectations that we have for our football or basketball teams winning a national championship.

Pakbackr
Respect the office regardless of who is sitting in it!
PackBacker07
Pakbackr said:

Respect the office regardless of who is sitting in it!
And whoever is in the office should respect it as well.
Wolfpack
For such a seemingly controversial topic, this is an incredibly mature thread of posts. Good work everyone!
Colonel Armstrong
Agree it's a player's decision kind of deal. IMO if even a few of the players want to go, they should be able too without the rest of the team having to go as well. Shouldn't be an all or nothing decision.
Formerly King Leary
Acb0110
Def not the highest ranked person in government. There are 39 levels of security clearance above the president.
PackBacker07
cof17wolf said:

Agree it's a player's decision kind of deal. IMO if even a few of the players want to go, they should be able too without the rest of the team having to go as well. Shouldn't be an all or nothing decision.
This is how I feel as well.
Wlfpacka7
Acb0110 said:

Def not the highest ranked person in government. There are 39 levels of security clearance above the president.
39 levels eh? Please expound...
cowboypack02
howlie said:

If you don't mind, please go ahead and move this to the brickyard.
This discussion is a whole, whole lot more about what's going on in this particular White House,
as opposed to any real expectations that we have for our football or basketball teams winning a national championship.

Speak for yourself. I have expectations about State winning the national championship in Football, Basketball, and Baseball every year.....and then the season starts
ncsualum05
Our world has descended into a level of pettiness and hatred that blows my mind. I don't like most presidents. Go to the White House... it's not just meeting the President which should be an honor regardless. You get to see some really neat American history.

If I were a coach we'd be planning the trip. Not even sure I'd give my players the option.
Francis
ncsualum05 said:

Our world has descended into a level of pettiness and hatred that blows my mind. I don't like most presidents. Go to the White House... it's not just meeting the President which should be an honor regardless. You get to see some really neat American history.

If I were a coach we'd be planning the trip. Not even sure I'd give my players the option.
Spot on! The tribalism and political correctness that has existed for the last 13 or so years is pathetic.
No matter who the President, the White House is a cool place!
Bellhenmar
To me it's a once in a lifetime opportunity for most that can go. Take the trip, if a person feels they don't want to go then allow them to not go. However it's not fair that some get their feelings hurt and decide nobody gets to go. That's silly to me.
Wlfpackamk
Wow, I was expecting an entirely different conversation. Well done!! If I'm a coach, I'm the leader and the example, and my example would be to open your arms to our great country, where we've been, and where we are going. We would be going regardless of POTUS.
Glasswolf
Would I visit the White House? Yes. Would I shake the current POTUS' hand? No
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

JocoPack
I guess I would go. It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for the guys on the team, for sure. Personally I don't really like the president being treated as some sort of celebrity(I know, you sort of have to be to get elected)
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
PicklePacker
I would visit the white house and love every minute of it. I love America. I love being free. We live in a day and time where people get too damn angry over of political differences. It's ridiculous. We all live in the greatest country on earth. We're all Americans.
Francis
Glasswolf said:

Would I visit the White House? Yes. Would I shake the current POTUS' hand? No

That doesn't surprise me. At times, you inject politics and then you tell everyone to knock it off about the politics.
Francis
PicklePacker said:

I would visit the white house and love every minute of it. I love America. I love being free. We live in a day and time where people get too damn angry over of political differences. It's ridiculous. We all live in the greatest country on earth. We're all Americans.

Spot on!
Acb0110
Problem is no one talks about politics anymore and we should. It's ok to disagree. Look, I don't like trump, but I do think he's hilarious. I didn't like Obama, hated Hilary, didn't like Bush either. I've been to the white house under both Obama and Bush. I would go now! America is awesome! Could it be better? Yes, but that's what makes us great. We are willing to argue about making it even better. We just need to not be so polarized. I love all of you no matter where you stand! #teamamerica
twentytoe
Acb0110 said:

Problem is no one talks about politics anymore and we should. It's ok to disagree. Look, I don't like trump, but I do think he's hilarious. I didn't like Obama, hated Hilary, didn't like Bush either. I've been to the white house under both Obama and Bush. I would go now! America is awesome! Could it be better? Yes, but that's what makes us great. We are willing to argue about making it even better. We just need to not be so polarized. I love all of you no matter where you stand! #teamamerica

Spread the love.
Da Pack since 75.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.