Wearing shoes in the house

2,885 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SCUDDER
Bell Tower Grey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mrs. BTG has decided that she no longer wants anyone wearing shoes in the house. At all. This proclaimation was issued as a result of a conversation she had earlier this week with one of her college roommates.

Apparently, one of roommates toddler / still crawling grandchildren became quite ill from "something" that was tracked into the child's parents house and that "something" contaminated the flooring. Kid crawled, as they do, and either his mouth contacted the floor or he put his hands into his mouth, leading him to get sick. Spent a couple of days in the hospital. Was discharged with the diagnosis of "infection of unknown origin".

The parents had a cleaning company come in and clean the entire house - floors, walls, furniture - everything. They are convinced that whatever it was, was tracked in on someone's shoes.

Mrs. BTG is about to worry herself silly over floor contamination from shoes now. To the point that she has Serve Pro coming on Tuesday to clean OUR entire house, after which all shoes are to be left outside before we come in. Sunday's shopping trip for her is cabinetry and containers for the shoes to be stored in from now on.

Having said that, does anyone else not wear shoes inside? I'm thinking I will continue to wear either socks, or buy a new pair of bedroom shoes to wear inside.
PackDaddy
Tracking germs and bacteria into your house from your shoes is just a conspiracy theory
fhstatefan43
My family had the opportunity to live overseas for several years. We were in a culture where no-one wears shoes in the house. Every home had an area at the door for shoe storage and then it was expected that the host provide house shoes for all guests. It took some time getting used to but now we really appreciate this tradition. My wife regularly commented on how much cleaner the house stayed when you don't wear shoes indoors.

Now that we are back in the States it is more difficult to keep a "rule" but we still take our shoes off as soon as we come in and expect our children to do the same. We just don't put that expectation on guests unless they ask.
wilmwolf
I wear shoes in the house. I have a dog, so there's very little to be gained there I think. Had a client once whose wife was OCD, if you came over you had to take your shoes off at the door, and you had to immediately go in to the powder room and wash your hands. Meanwhile, the dog had a doggy door and came and went as it pleased, and when it came in it jumped on the couch and sat right next to her. Whatever makes people feel good I guess. Surely we bring in germs with us from wherever we go, but for the most part, that actually helps our immune systems by being exposed to them. In my opinion anyway.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Bell Tower Grey
PackDaddy said:

Tracking germs and bacteria into your house from your shoes is just a conspiracy theory
Lol, I'll tell her you said we can wipe our shoes off on the grassy knoll before we come inside.
RunsWithWolves26
Growing up, you didn't wear your shoes in my parents house. You took them off before you ever walked in the door and if you didn't, well a couple of Tylenol would help to tamper down the headache you got from the back of a hand
cowboypack02
In my parents house as well as mine all shoes come off at the door. At the inlaws they don't care and it bothers me
ncsupack1
Haven't really thought much about it, but with that said I have noticed that we take our shoes off at the door.
Tootie4Pack
RunsWithWolves26 said:

Growing up, you didn't wear your shoes in my parents house. You took them off before you ever walked in the door and if you didn't, well a couple of Tylenol would help to tamper down the headache you got from the back of a hand
Sounds like my Parent's house. My Mom did not tolerate shoes in the house...period. Said the black bottom shoes would eventually make the dark worn paths thru-out the house. So when I moved into my first house 30 + years ago, I did the same, and my wife and my kids do the same today in our house. My wife agrees with my Mom's logic regarding shoes in the house. And we all know that when ever Mama is not happy, every body else is not happy.
IseWolf22
If you've been tramping around in the mud, shoes come off in the garage. But if they're relatively clean we wear them inside. I have a dog too
ZAXPACK15
I take my shoes off in my own home, but I feel weird asking other people to or being in my socks/bare feet at someones else's home if I'm not staying overnight there. Germs are everywhere and shoes or not, I still will have to sweep and vacuum.
PackFansXL
Shoes off at the door used to be our household rule when the kids still lived at home. Over the years, enforcement of that policy waned until we just relaxed about it. Our rules were dirt related versus germ phobia.
wilmwolf
I'll definitely take mine off when visiting if that's your policy, but if I do, and end up with black bottoms on my socks, I'll totally judge you for it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
wofpac
Just provide shoe covers like used in the operating suite.
Garrymarton
You should keep your shows outside of your house. Anyways, you can use a spare sandal to use in your house. This would be better and healthy for everyone.
deneengspencer
Shoes go outside. Also they can stink if its been a hot day.
SCUDDER
If not wearing shoes to help keep the house clean...ok. Not that I would have that rule but to each his own.

If it is due to trying to control germs (OP mentioned third party cleaning service) y'all are nuts. My daughter is a missionary in a third world country and my grandson is four and never been sick. Nothing clean there. Human body is unique and can resist germs. My daughter can even drink water there now and not get sick.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.