Hemp/CBD

6,385 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by waynecountywolf
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just read another article about hemp regulation on WRAL. I have a friend of mine who has produced some smokable hemp and I work with several farmers who are currently growing it for CBD oil. I am hoping that this industry can revitalize an Ag economy that has relied on tobacco for so many years. Supposedly the plant has thousands of uses and the CBD in the plant is good at regulating pain, among a laundry list of other benefits. I know one argument against it (at least the smokable variety) is that it looks and smells just like marijuana. Law enforcement officials have commented that if smokable hemp were to remain legalized, the state might as well legalize weed. What do the IPSers think about the situation?
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
JocoPack
Hemp, Marijuana Fight May Doom NC Farm Act

JocoPack
Wow, I finished reading the WRAL article, came here and posted this thread, and went to ESPN's site and this was on the front page:

Golf's not-so-secret fascination with CBD oil
IseWolf22
Just legalize marijuana along with hemp. Problem solved. Hell congress had a hearing on legalization of marijuana today.

Ridiculous that NC doesn't even have medicinal marijuana. We are one of only 17 states who don't.
JocoPack
I agree. I think this is a good opportunity for NC growers to get a head start while the market is fairly young.
wilmwolf
I have tried CBD oil as an alternative to my normal anxiety medicine. It provides a little bit of a calming effect, but doesn't really come close to the meds for me. I haven't experienced any negatives when I've used it. I know several people selling it right now, but I'm leery of the talk of all these magical healing properties, because there really isn't any good science to back it up. It makes me very sceptical that it has been picked up by chiropractors and other quacky types as being a cure all But at the end of the day, if you think it makes your joints feel better, or whatever, then it does. I would like to see it evaluated more scientifically, and it definitely shouldn't be criminal, but I also don't believe weed should be either. I don't smoke weed, or take any other drugs other than prescriptions that are absolutely necessary, but I've been advocating for the legalization of weed and it's use as a cash crop for this state for a very long time. For myself, I am going to continue to try CBD for my own issues and see if there is a way that it works for me.
JocoPack
My little brother takes it for anxiety as well. He started out with 50mg doses and couldn't tell much of a difference. Now he takes a dropper of 600mg every morning and says its night and day different. I wouldn't mind taking it for sleep myself.
wilmwolf
I was hoping for some sleep benefit as well, but haven't had much success there either. A double dose of 500mg strength makes me want to close my eyes, but it doesn't necessarily help me get to sleep, or stay there. For me, it's a similar feeling to when I've tried melatonin, it makes me vaguely sleepy, but not in a productive way. I have long running sleep issues though, so it may help others with less of an issue. I am curious if delivery method has any impact on effectiveness. My buddy takes his through a vape pen, but I've only ever used the oil orally.
PackDaddy
Is this the thread for recreational use cocaine?
wilmwolf
I've never partaken, but I believe in general that cocaine pretty much has the exact opposite effects of CBD oil. But if that is what cures your ailments, I won't judge.
JocoPack
It is now

JocoPack
Yeah I'm curious about that as well. I know that ingesting marijuana affects you more so I'm wondering if CBD would do the same (obviously without the high)
Glasswolf
Wife and myself both use it. The oil and the gummies they sell. Helps my wife with her anxiety and a little pain relief (Fibro) and it helps reduce the inflammation in my hands from arthritis
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

FuzzyRed
I'm of the opinion that both marijuana and CBD/hemp ought to be legal in NC, and that it would be beneficial to develop agriculture, processing and sales of both as business opportunities.

I don't use marijuana (just don't really enjoy the effects), but know plenty of good people who do. They use it for various reasons, but seem to get some benefit from it - even if that's just enjoyment. I don't really see the harm. If users engage in improper behavior during use, then they can be held to account for the behavior. No need to demonize substances that are used positively by so many.

I've tried CBD and find it useful for aches and pains. Very helpful to an older guy who wants to stay active and maintain a regular workout schedule.

It also seems silly to simultaneously mourn the state of NC agriculture while not taking advantage of an opportunity to develop a profitable product. Sending all of that consumer money out of state when it could be supporting our farmers just seems wrong. And all of of this due to a lot of over-hyped and outdated ideas about the moral and societal perils of pot.

Even if you don't share my ideas about marijuana, you might consider that CBD/hemp offers a lot of the same opportunities without the downsides. So why not proceed?

In this day and age I don't really see these as radical positions.
JocoPack
I agree, Fuzzy. There's a lot of hem and hawing over it considering it's just a weed in the ground. Now that tobacco has all but gone belly up these farmers need an opportunity to keep them afloat.
IseWolf22
JocoPack said:

I agree, Fuzzy. There's a lot of hem and hawing over it considering it's just a weed in the ground. Now that tobacco has all but gone belly up these farmers need an opportunity to keep them afloat.
My question is how to get the legislature to actually take action on this. I would guess support is over 50%. I can't find NC numbers but it's 65% nationally.
JocoPack
IseWolf22 said:

JocoPack said:

My question is how to get the legislature to actually take action on this. I would guess support is over 50%. I can't find NC numbers but it's 65% nationally.
Pretty much all we can do is write a letter, or give them a call. I think it's one of those things that public pressure is eventually going to become so insurmountable that they'll have no other choice but to legalize it.

It's honestly ridiculous that it's still illegal now. People who want to smoke weed are currently smoking weed whenever they want to. I can order CBD oil online and have it shipped to my door. The fact that farmer's aren't making money off of it is crazy.

Speaking of which, I went and saw one of my really good tobacco farmers I work with today and he is growing 2 acres of it. Man I don't know what hemp is supposed to look like but if this guy can't grow it in a profitable manner than no one can. It's huge!

Also since it's in the news: https://jocoreport.com/businessman-wants-to-operate-large-scale-hemp-greenhouse/
PackBacker07
There is absolutely no reason weed (and some other recreational drugs) shouldn't be legal when alcohol is. I agree with the above poster who mentioned wildly outdated thoughts.
Y'all means ALL.
RunsWithWolves26
PackBacker07 said:

There is absolutely no reason weed (and some other recreational drugs) shouldn't be legal when alcohol is. I agree with the above poster who mentioned wildly outdated thoughts.

100% agree.
Glasswolf
PackBacker07 said:

I agree 100%
RedWhitePod
Random but I have a buddy who just created his own cbd brand and will give you free CBD if you leave a good review. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll share the info with you.

Garrymarton
I have heard about CBD Oil before. Yeah, there is a good opportunity to grow and make some profit with this business.
deneengspencer
Im all for marijuana legalization, but the market is so overblown.
PicklePacker
problem is, currently, let's say Johnny is transporting 5 pounds of heroin in his car. During the transport he decides to smoke a blunt. As soon as Johnny finishes taking the last toke, a Hwy Patrolman pulls him over. Upon approaching the vehicle the patrolman smells the weed. The way the law is currently, he has probable cause to search the vehicle just from smelling the weed. If the hemp thing passes, all Johnny would have to say is, "No sir, I've been smoking Hemp". And the patrolman would have no probable cause to search the vehicle because hemp smells just like MJ. I don't have a dog in the fight. But that's how it was explained to me. Evidently judges, and law enforcement folks from across the state are up in arms over it and say it would be a nightmare if it passes. I can see their point.
brickturner
I've heard there's a field test they can do on the hemp to determine if THC level is below legal limit. Don't know how reliable, or even if true.
IseWolf22
Why does that even matter? If they think someone is transporting heroin they should have probable cause to think that they are transporting heroin. If they are using the smell or marijuana as their only evidence then maybe they shouldn't be searching the car in the first place.
"Smelling marijuana" has long been a pretense to search and harass citizens with no other evidence. There was a cop recently convicted of using this trick many times to plant drugs on innocent people
waynecountywolf
Dont smoke hemp when transporting heroin, then. If mary jane and hemp smell identical, its tough crap if you get stopped and searched.
I know folks growing outside and in greenhouses. Also have a friend working on a product for a cpl other industries that may work well in the hemp industry, too
Dont think farmers are going to make 20-30K per acre as being touted, though-nowhere close.
waynecountywolf
Bump for 4/20
I am just here for the conspiracy theories
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.