Justin Amash

2,648 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IseWolf22
IseWolf22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Some may just be hearing his name because he's supporting impeachment, but Amash has been one of my favorite congressmen for several years. While I don't agree with him on all issues, he's one of the few that sticks by his principles. He's actually ideologically consistent instead of being an authoritarian pretending to be a conservative (Trump).
He posts his votes and reasoning behind them on his Facebook page in the interest of accountability and transparency. If Republicans run him out of the party via primary it'll be the loss of one of the few principled voices left in the party

https://reason.com/2019/05/22/11-other-times-justin-amash-crossed-swords-with-president-trump/
GuerrillaPack
If Trump should be impeached for colluding with a foreign power, it's not the Russians. It's the state of Israel. Trump bows to Netanyahu, and is happy to fight every war Bibi wants --e.g., Syria, Yemen, and now the Israelis are pushing for war against Iran, and providing the Trump administration with "secret intelligence" of Iran's "threat". You think that "intelligence" is any different than the lies about Saddam's "WMD threat" in order to start the Iraq war?

But you could say that about every President of the last several decades, not just Trump.
PackBacker07
IseWolf22 said:

Some may just be hearing his name because he's supporting impeachment, but Amash has been one of my favorite congressmen for several years. While I don't agree with him on all issues, he's one of the few that sticks by his principles. He's actually ideologically consistent instead of being an authoritarian pretending to be a conservative (Trump)...If Republicans run him out of the party via primary it'll be the loss of one of the few principled voices left in the party.
I definitely agree with this. It's downright embarrassing the way GOPers have wilted rank and file and hid behind POTUS.
NCSUBill
While I don't like everything Trump has done and especially how he communicates.

I find it interesting how many people still paint Trump as a NAZI, when he has done more for Israel than any President in the last 50 years.

Makes me wonder how many other widely held beliefs are actually 180 from factual reality.

statefan91
NCSUBill said:

While I don't like everything Trum] has done and especially how he communicates.

I find it interesting how many people still paint Trump as a NAZI, when he has done more for Israel than any President in the last 50 years.

Makes me wonder how many other widely held beliefs are actually 180 from factual reality.

I don't think many people think of Trump as a true "nazi." My guess is that people see Trump more as a "whites first" type , who has no problem with Nationalistic rhetoric from people in the US that are worried about immigration from Muslims and Middle/South Americans. People that are afraid of the US becoming something more than white majority, etc.
IseWolf22
NCSUBill said:

While I don't like everything Trump has done and especially how he communicates.

Let's not derail this thread. No one here said Trump was a Nazi. I said he was an authoritarian which he undoubtedly is. He's demanded absolute personal loyalty from staff, is more concerned with forcing his agenda than operating with current law, expanded federal spending l, supports broad executive power, and mocks the oversite role of congress (whatever you beleive about the merits of the current investigation).

That all points to an authoritarian political view. Contrast that with a consitutionalist like Amash who supports separation of powers, limited executive power, small government and fiscal responsibility
NCSUBill
All the billionaire business people I have met require some degree of loyalty from their employees which becomes a more stringent requirement for upper level and executive employees.

I strongly suspect Trump had to adjust his instincts in order to deal with the snake pit morass whete no one is loyal in DC.
PackBacker07
NCSUBill said:

Ah yes, Israel. Trump and Bibi and are two peas in a pod for sure: actual con-men and wannabe fascists.
PackBacker07
IseWolf22 said:

NCSUBill said:

Let's not derail this thread. No one here said Trump was a Nazi. I said he was an authoritarian which he undoubtedly is. He's demanded absolute personal loyalty from staff, is more concerned with forcing his agenda than operating with current law, expanded federal spending l, supports broad executive power, and mocks the oversite role of congress (whatever you beleive about the merits of the current investigation).

That all points to an authoritarian political view. Contrast that with a consitutionalist like Amash who supports separation of powers, limited executive power, small government and fiscal responsibility

And like all authoritarians throughout (at least recent) history, he's concerned more about his ego and image above everything else in life, including the nation they lead.
IseWolf22
NCSUBill said:

All the billionaire business people I have met require some degree of loyalty from their employees which becomes a more stringent requirement for upper level and executive employees.

I strongly suspect Trump had to adjust his instincts in order to deal with the snake pit morass whete no one is loyal in DC.

So just ignoring everything else in the post. Trump being an authoritarian is not controversial. He's pretty much the opposite of libertarian. Heavy government involvement in the economy, massive spending, etc. Then there is the praise of strong men abroad, attacking the press, and so on.

Point being, pretty much the opposite of Amash
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.