2019 Grilling Season

27,713 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ncsupack1
JocoPack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are on the cusp of grilling season my fellow Wolfpackers.

What are IPSers grilling/smoking/just generally cooking? Post what you're cooking here and discuss what you want to cook next time. Feel free to post your setup and things you want to get!

My setup for this year:

XL Big Green Egg with table
Mini Max Big Green Egg
BQ Patio Gas Grill
Blackstone 36" Cooktop

I don't have a picture(because they didn't last long lol) but last night I did patty melts on the blackstone. Just simple 80/20 ground chuck from Sam's with onions, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, and swiss cheese over rye bread. I bought a cast iron "burger press" on amazon to lay on top of the burgers while they cooked. turned out even and thin for this purpose. I toasted the sandwiches on the cooktop until the cheese melted and the bread was crisp. Served with sweet potato fries and sriracha dipping sauce.
wilmwolf
Char broil infrared commercial grill. I'm a big fan because it gets really hot if you want and I can get a great sear if needed. I use it three to four days a week regardless of season. I do steaks of all types normally once a week. The other days I'm doing chicken or pork. Just did two dry rub tenderloins yesterday that I'll have for multiple meals the next few days. Do ribs on occasion, in fact have a rack in the freezer that I need to take out for this weekend. Don't do much smoking, though sometimes I'll do a wood chip packet and put that under that grate on top of the burner shield if I'm doing a small shoulder or something. I'm single, so I don't do big items like that much unless I've got people coming over. I enjoy cooking outside. Great to enjoy good weather, have a beer, and not stink up the house. Good thread topic.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
JocoPack
Sounds great Wilm! You sound like me, I cook outside at least 4 days a week. Pretty much regardless of weather lol. Right now I have a couple of steaks about to go on the mini max egg while I have some leftover ear corn from the freezer on the gas grill. I'm enjoying this low carb diet. Steaks on a Wednesday Will try and provide pics later if I can ever figure out how to post them from my phone.
Bell Tower Grey
I'm an old school, charcoal-head guy. Got a 22 Weber kettle, as well as the bottom barrel of an old Char-Griller, that I light occasionally for the hell of it. Have a Weber Genesis gas grill that I do use mainly for quick convenience occasionally, but I generally use my 22 charcoal anywhere from 3 to 5 nights a week.

I've looked at the Primo Grills, and am going to buy an Oval XL 400 within the next 2 weeks. Really like that grill. After that, next on my list will be a Blackstone flat top. Question for the poster that has one - is there anything about yours you don't like?

Grilling is good therapy for me. There are times, after grilling and eating dinner, that I'll throw another piece of hardwood charcoal and some hickory chips onto the coals and sit outside with an adult beverage just to watch the fire and enjoy the smells.
JocoPack
Honestly, after cooking on it several dozen times over now, my only complaint with the black stone is that I didn't get one sooner. Breakfast foods, hibachi, stir fry, literally anything in between. SUPER easy to clean. Scrape all the goo to the catch off the back then I grab two wads of paper towels and before it cools I use one of their branded squirt bottles full of water and let it sizzle then wipe down. Then I use the other squirt bottle and put some peanut oil all over and spread it even with the other paper towel wad. And you're done. It has honestly taken over most of my weekly cooking because it's ease of use and cleaning. If you had you a bite of those patty melts I cooked last night you'd have one on order. And I'm a charcoal/wood guy through and through.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Honestly, after cooking on it several dozen times over now, my only complaint with the black stone is that I didn't get one sooner. Breakfast foods, hibachi, stir fry, literally anything in between. SUPER easy to clean. Scrape all the goo to the catch off the back then I grab two wads of paper towels and before it cools I use one of their branded squirt bottles full of water and let it sizzle then wipe down. Then I use the other squirt bottle and put some peanut oil all over and spread it even with the other paper towel wad. And you're done. It has honestly taken over most of my weekly cooking because it's ease of use and cleaning. If you had you a bite of those patty melts I cooked last night you'd have one on order. And I'm a charcoal/wood guy through and through.
Thank you. After reading your post, I may buy this before I buy the Primo.
ncsupack1
Having a few Makers and gonna light the weber here soon. Had the day off since we got back from the race last night. Hit my butcher up and got a nice t-bone and for the wife a rib eye.
Bell Tower Grey
I was going to grill but we had a hell of a thunder / lightning storm to roll through, so I had to go to plan B. Wife fixed lime-cilantro pork tenderloin tacos. Not too bad for working on the fly. The steaks can wait another night, air drying in the refrigerator won't hurt them at all.
ncsupack1
Rain got us as well.
JocoPack
Bell Tower Grey said:

I was going to grill but we had a hell of a thunder / lightning storm to roll through, so I had to go to plan B. Wife fixed lime-cilantro pork tenderloin tacos. Not too bad for working on the fly. The steaks can wait another night, air drying in the refrigerator won't hurt them at all.
Wow. You had me at "lime-cilantro pork tenderloin tacos." You got a link to a recipe for that or is it something ya'll came up with?
It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
Bell Tower Grey
JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

Wow. You had me at "lime-cilantro pork tenderloin tacos." You got a link to a recipe for that or is it something ya'll came up with?
From the Genius Kitchen website:

INGREDIENTS

[ol]
  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork with salt and black pepper. Add oil to pan.
  • Add pork, and saute 4 minutes or until browned Remove pork from pan; place in a bowl. Add onion and jalapeno to pan. Add broth; reduce heat, and simmer for 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomato; simmer 2 minutes.
  • Return pork and accumulated juices to pan. Stir in cilantro and lime juice; cook 1 minute or until pork in done.
  • Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/2 cup pork mixture into each tortilla; roll up
  • [/ol]

These were great, but I added a little more lime juice and a couple splashes of Texas Pete to mine once it was on the tortilla. As printed on the site, they took about 35 - 40 minutes.
    JocoPack
    Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

INGREDIENTS

[ol]
  • Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle pork with salt and black pepper. Add oil to pan.
  • Add pork, and saute 4 minutes or until browned Remove pork from pan; place in a bowl. Add onion and jalapeno to pan. Add broth; reduce heat, and simmer for 1 minute, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomato; simmer 2 minutes.
  • Return pork and accumulated juices to pan. Stir in cilantro and lime juice; cook 1 minute or until pork in done.
  • Heat tortillas according to package directions. Spoon 1/2 cup pork mixture into each tortilla; roll up
  • [/ol]

These were great, but I added a little more lime juice and a couple splashes of Texas Pete to mine once it was on the tortilla. As printed on the site, they took about 35 - 40 minutes.

Thanks man. Just printed this off. Will give it a shot this weekend!
    Bell Tower Grey
    JoCo, I'm not sure if you can edit the title or not, but if so, would you consider it just the rolling Grilling Thread? Other than lightning, I grill year round. Thanks.
    JocoPack
    I'm not sure I can. Mods, can you make this happen?

Bell, I thought about the same thing the other day. I started it because we were going to have nice weather but I too grill pretty much year round.
    PackFansXL
    Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

INGREDIENTS

[ol]
  • [/ol]

Bell, are you sure about those proportions? Something seems off. Are those 12 cup entries supposed to be 1/2 cups?
    Bell Tower Grey
    PackFansXL said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

JocoPack said:

Bell Tower Grey said:

INGREDIENTS

[ol]
  • [/ol]

Bell, are you sure about those proportions? Something seems off. Are those 12 cup entries supposed to be 1/2 cups?
    Yes, thank you. Half cups. Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't proof the cut and paste before I hit "post". Tried to go back in here and correct it.
    Bell Tower Grey
    I kicked the steaks back again, until tomorrow. Had one of those days that I fought fires in the office all day and was ready for something quick and easy, so we went out for beer, pizza and wings.

The steaks have been air drying on a rack in the refrigerator since Sunday afternoon, with just a little Lawry's Seasoned Salt and some fresh cracked black pepper on them. They should be right by the time I cook them tomorrow.
    JocoPack
    Bell Tower Grey said:

I kicked the steaks back again, until tomorrow. Had one of those days that I fought fires in the office all day and was ready for something quick and easy, so we went out for beer, pizza and wings.

The steaks have been air drying on a rack in the refrigerator since Sunday afternoon, with just a little Lawry's Seasoned Salt and some fresh cracked black pepper on them. They should be right by the time I cook them tomorrow.
    Sometimes it's just one of those days. The steaks ought to be right when you get around to cooking them. For anyone interested, I found a pretty good rub a couple of weeks ago. It's from Heath Riles BBQ and it's his "Everyday Rub". Simple mixture of salt, black pepper, and garlic. I know "JoCo, I can make that myself!" But trust me, it's all ground up to the same consistency and is the perfect portions of each. I've literally used it daily. Veggies, beef, chicken, etc.
    Bell Tower Grey
    Rubs, like the one you posted, typically are the best. Simple, yet very efficient.

I'm usually using dalmation, and occasionally garlic powder and / or Lawry's mixed in, on almost all my beef cuts. Have for years. My pork bbq sauce is one my grandpa taught me how to make when I was 8 or 9.

My chicken and ribs sauce is one I "perfected" over 30 years ago and it still gets requests from family and friends for jars of it for Christmas, which is humbling for an old country boy that likes to grill and cook pigs..

I do like to experiment with new variations occasionally, but almost always find myself back to the tried and true to which I, and those I cook for, have become accustomed.
    danielcrothers1985
    Thank you. Want to try in short time.
    Bell Tower Grey
    Today was the anti-yesterday, thankfully, so I left about 1:30. Lit the charcoal about 4:30. I loaded some sweet potatoes with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter, wrapped them up and threw them on the grill for a while before I did the steaks. Mrs. BTG fixed a spinach salad with homemade hot bacon dressing. This meal was worth the delay. Topped it off with a nice cabernet.

The bad thing is I may be in a food coma by the time the game comes on.
    JocoPack
    Sounds awesome! I grilled a pork tenderloin seasoned with a honey bbq rub and grilled a couple of ears of last years corn. Gonna butter them up and put some lemon pepper on them. Misses made some mashed potatoes to go with.
    Bell Tower Grey
    I went by the butcher shop this morning and picked up two filets along with a pound of shrimp and 1/2 pound of scallops. Wife wants to fix kebobs tonight. She got corn on the cob that I'll cut into about 3 fingers deep pieces, along with tomatoes, green and red peppers and sweet onions to add to the skewer mix. We've not had kebobs in so long I don't remember when. Looking forward to them.
    JocoPack
    Sounds good Bell, what butcher shop do you go to? We have a locally owned grocer in my area that has a pretty good meat dept but none of the higher end cuts(not that I cook them a lot but I'd still like the option) so sometimes I'll wonder up to Angier to the Carolina Butcher Shop.
    Bell Tower Grey
    JocoPack said:

Sounds good Bell, what butcher shop do you go to? We have a locally owned grocer in my area that has a pretty good meat dept but none of the higher end cuts(not that I cook them a lot but I'd still like the option) so sometimes I'll wonder up to Angier to the Carolina Butcher Shop.
    Talley's in South Hill. The guys at the Piggly Wiggly are helpful and willing to custom cut whenever I go there and don't want to drive to Talley's.
    ncsupack1
    Wanted to grill tonight, but not gonna happen. Will do it tomorrow.
    Bell Tower Grey
    ncsupack1 said:

Wanted to grill tonight, but not gonna happen. Will do it tomorrow.
    Tomorrow is today, 1. What do you have on tap to grill ?
    910wolf
    Grilling some burgers and hot dogs tonight, simple but you can't beat it
    Bell Tower Grey
    910wolf said:

Grilling some burgers and hot dogs tonight, simple but you can't beat it
    You are right; solid grub right there.

We are having grilled chicken tonight. Love this weather! I'll be outside cooking all weekend.
    JocoPack
    I'm probably going to smoke some wings tonight. Just a simple salt and pepper rub. Going to use fig wood though. A little trick I learned on Ocracoke Island.
    IseWolf22
    Just bought my first real grill! It's a gas/charcol/smoker combo.

Looking forward to following this thread and trying out some of the recipes you guys post.
    JocoPack
    IseWolf22 said:

Looking forward to following this thread and trying out some of the recipes you guys post.
    Awesome man! You've got the quickness of gas and the flavor of charcoal/smoke all in one
    Bell Tower Grey
    IseWolf22 said:

Sounds like a good first grill purchase. My first charcoal grill was a barrel type Char-Griller. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was a work horse. I burned up a couple of the charcoal grates, and one set of food grates before I ever saw any damage to the barrel.

When I bought my Weber Gas and the Weber Kettle charcoal grills, I took the old Char-Griller apart. My wife still uses both barrels as planters in one of her flower gardens.

Hope you enjoy using your grills as much as it seems the rest of us do.
    Radman
    Threw a couple of ribeyes on the grill with corn on the cob and asparagus. Had a few beers while watching my second favorite team take down the evil empire. Good food and good game.
    ncsupack1
    Grilled some nice burgers on the Weber. Not sure about today, gotta check out my butcher today.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.