Exercise & Fitness

6,916 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 910wolf
IseWolf22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What does everyone do for fitness here? What are your goals?

I thought it would be a good topic for discussion
IseWolf22
I've built a gym in my garage and am 6 weeks into the PHAT (Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training) workout plan. I'm trying to put on muscle right now.
At a high level it's a hybrid Power/Hypertrophy lifting plan. The day split is:

Saturday - Upper Body Power
Sunday - Lower Body Power
Monday - Cardio and Abs
Tuesday - Back & Shoulders Hypertrophy
Wednesday - Legs Hypertrophy
Thursday - Chest & Arms Hypertrophy
Friday - Rest (light yoga or stretching)
WolfPacker54
My dream is to have a nice home gym. Maybe one day. For now I'm at the Y. My weightlifting split changes week to week based on how busy I am but I mostly train for strength then finish with 15-30 minutes of cardio.

Goals for this year:
Bench - 315 (current 295)
Squat - 405 (current 365)
Deadlift - 435 (current 385)

Been dealing with some lower back soreness that has set me back a bit recently. Trying to get my weight down to 185 too. I'm at 195 right now. Was over 200 a few months ago.
910wolf
Where did you get your home gym equipment?
wilmwolf
Work out five days a week in my garage gym. I like to keep things interesting, so I do a lot of different things. Cardio, free weights, step platform, resistance bands, I like to pull from a lot of sources. I don't subscribe to any one program and don't have a trainer, but I was an athlete in my younger years and pull from that experience.

Through a variety of things, mostly bouts with depression and anxiety, I put on a lot of weight in the last fifteen years. For the last two years (just had my fitness anniversary a few weeks ago) I've been working extremely hard, and I've taken off fifty pounds. My goal is fifty more. I don't do extreme diets, I've done that before and lost a ton of weight, but it came back. I'm already very limited in what I can eat due to extensive food allergies I've had my whole life, so I eat what I can and practice portion control and moderation with healthy snacks in between. I try to lose about two pounds a month. My doctor says that's a good target to be able to sustain my progress and my body seems to agree.

I always see people talk about it being a lifestyle change, and I might have scoffed at that in the past, but I really have changed my life. Where I used to take comfort in food, I now get the same comfort from working out. It really does relieve my anxiety better than any pill. It's not been a smooth journey, there have been setbacks, learning what my nearing middle age body can take, but I'm committed to seeing it through.
IseWolf22
910wolf said:

The foundation is a lifting platform and power rack. The platform is built using plywood and a rubber horse stall mat. I used this article to build it.
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-build-a-weight-lifting-platform/

The power rack I bought from rep fitness. https://www.repfitness.com/rep-pr-1100

Biggest thing is don't pay full retail price for anything unless you are going to use it a lot. Fitness stuff constantly goes on sale if you track their website. I got my rack 30% off at Black Friday. Craigslist and OfferUp are also great places to shop. People are constantly unloading good equipment. Just make sure you inspect it for rust or any sign it's no longer structurally sound.
PackFansXL
Congrats on all your progress, WW80. I agree the lifestyle change is key for lasting results. Good luck with your approach.
PackFansXL
I work out at Gold's Gym. I'm a big believer in the long term health benefits of cardio work so I don't do a workout without doing about 45 minutes on the elliptical. I usually lift for another hour and call it a day.

As a former miler, I have had to work hard to find a way to make training fun instead of a race. The clock never gets tired or deals with the elements; so, learning to ignore the clock has been the key to working during all seasons of the year. Enjoying a workout means it's not something to be dreaded because it's too challenging to continually improve.

I am currently in a two month rest period. I like to work hard for 6 months and take a break. Rinse and repeat.
IseWolf22
PackFansXL said:

I work out at Gold's Gym. I'm a big believer in the long term health benefits of cardio work so I don't do a workout without doing about 45 minutes on the elliptical. I usually lift for another hour and call it a day.

As a former miler, I have had to work hard to find a way to make training fun instead of a race. The clock never gets tired or deals with the elements; so, learning to ignore the clock has been the key to working during all seasons of the year. Enjoying a workout means it's not something to be dreaded because it's too challenging to continually improve.

I am currently in a two month rest period. I like to work hard for 6 months and take a break. Rinse and repeat.

I ran cross country in highschool, but lately I've completely avoided steady state cardio. All my cardio is in the form of HIIT workouts, usually videos like Insanity.
WolfPacker54
I tried to pick up running but my knees couldn't take it. Usually stick to stair-climber or walking on the treadmill at a steep incline. Occasionally i'll hit the elliptical or bikes. I might try to get into some HIIT but I always feel dumb doing that stuff at the gym.
PackMom
Well, this looked like an interesting topic, and it is, but I am a kindergartener compared to y'all, even though I'm probably older than most of you.

For years my exercise has been mostly walking, usually 3 miles a day at a quick pace, preferably outside. I have light hand weights but am inconsistent using them. My weight lifting is more likely to be how many grocery bags I can get into the house in one trip.

However, my diagnosis last year of recurrent/metastatic cancer has slowed me down. My tolerance for exercising in inclement weather is way down, partly due to bone damage and subsequent concern for falls. Our hospital has an exercise program for cancer patients where they help you choose exercises and equipment based on your diagnosis and physical condition. Exercise can help alleviate the side effects of chemo, limit weakness, and improve your mental outlook. Recently they've had me try the leg press for the first time in my life. For the sake of my vanity I will not state the weight they recommended (but they start you low and work up) and so far I haven't had any complaints from my muscles the next day, so they're increasing it.

We've talked about creating a home gym but it may not be practical given our current location. Congratulations to you guys and thanks for the descriptions of your setups.

Just thought I'd offer something on the opposite end of the spectrum from Thunder Dan. ;-)
IseWolf22
PackMom said:

Well, this looked like an interesting topic, and it is, but I am a kindergartener compared to y'all, even though I'm probably older than most of you.

For years my exercise has been mostly walking, usually 3 miles a day at a quick pace, preferably outside. I have light hand weights but am inconsistent using them. My weight lifting is more likely to be how many grocery bags I can get into the house in one trip.

However, my diagnosis last year of recurrent/metastatic cancer has slowed me down. My tolerance for exercising in inclement weather is way down, partly due to bone damage and subsequent concern for falls. Our hospital has an exercise program for cancer patients where they help you choose exercises and equipment based on your diagnosis and physical condition. Exercise can help alleviate the side effects of chemo, limit weakness, and improve your mental outlook. Recently they've had me try the leg press for the first time in my life. For the sake of my vanity I will not state the weight they recommended (but they start you low and work up) and so far I haven't had any complaints from my muscles the next day, so they're increasing it.

We've talked about creating a home gym but it may not be practical given our current location. Congratulations to you guys and thanks for the descriptions of your setups.

Just thought I'd offer something on the opposite end of the spectrum from Thunder Dan. ;-)

No worries! There are many different methods to get fit and we all go about it different ways. Im hoping this thread will be a place people can discuss their goals and ask advice of they need it. Hell, I'm not posting my squat weight after Wokfpacker54

Keep fighting the good fight! Cancer sucks. I'm wishing you and your family the absolute best in your battle
910wolf
IseWolf22 said:

910wolf said:

The foundation is a lifting platform and power rack. The platform is built using plywood and a rubber horse stall mat. I used this article to build it.

The power rack I bought from rep fitness. https://www.repfitness.com/rep-pr-1100

Biggest thing is don't pay full retail price for anything unless you are going to use it a lot. Fitness stuff constantly goes on sale if you track their website. I got my rack 30% off at Black Friday. Craigslist and OfferUp are also great places to shop. People are constantly unloading good equipment. Just make sure you inspect it for rust or any sign it's no longer structurally sound.
Thanks that is some good info. I am going to be in the market for some equipment soon when I move out of my apartment and have a garage
IseWolf22
910wolf said:

IseWolf22 said:

910wolf said:

Thanks that is some good info. I am going to be in the market for some equipment soon when I move out of my apartment and have a garage
I built mine only 2 months ago when I moved out of my apartment. Feel free to post here or message me when you are getting started. I did a lot of research
PackDaddy
I've been doing CrossFit for about a year now and I'm pretty positive that tonight was my last night. I feel like complete **** after every workout. It's to the point where it's negatively effecting my everyday life
wilmwolf
My experiences with CrossFit are solely what I've seen online and posted by friends that do it, so I'll put that disclaimer up right away. I'm not in to knocking what someone else does, and it's a regimen that obviously gets results for some people. With that said, it reminds me a lot of weight lifting class back in high school a few decades ago (right down to the sweatbox buildings it's done in), which were all about maxing out and hitting numbers with very little regard to the impact on our bodies or overall health. Again, no disrespect to you or anyone else that does it, it's just not something that appeals to me.
IseWolf22
PackDaddy said:

I've been doing CrossFit for about a year now and I'm pretty positive that tonight was my last night. I feel like complete **** after every workout. It's to the point where it's negatively effecting my everyday life

I don't think CrossFit does a very good job acclimating beginners. The volume is high and it will kill you if youre not already well conditioned. And whwn you are doing barbell work, you really need to focus on your form until you really know what you are doing. They go too fast IMO. I'm still learning good form and I can't imagine doing some of the speed sets in CrossFit

That said, some of the movements just seem like they are gonna hurt you no matter what. No one can convince me that the "kipping" pullups are good for your back and shoulders
PackBacker07
I lift at O2 five days a week so, generally rotating days between upper push, upper pull, legs, and then a focus day (like arms, chest, whatever). On the sixth day I try to do some cardio, core, and stretching. I usually take the seventh day off but if I'm bored around the house I may go do light elliptical or shoot hoops or something. I've been on it hard since the end of last year and have gotten to the point now where I look forward to going, mainly for my sanity and to distract from a bunch of personal stuff going on.
Y'all means ALL.
PackDaddy
I'm not trying to sound self righteous but I've been going good for a year now and my form is good on everything except for deadlifts because I get going to fast. I've just gotten where it burns me out and I feel like crap. It's not that I'm sore I'm just actually fatigued for days
IseWolf22
Are you currently trying to lose weight? Sometimes the type of fatigue you're describing can be from lack of calories or carbs.
You also could try a deload week or 2.
ncsualum05
I like to do 9round. I started last summer and was completely inactive and out of shape. I feel much better now.. .the workouts are intense but you can work up your stamina. They are short too... 30 minutes.

It's a great setup... you become a member and a trainer is always in there to show you what to do. There are 9 different stations and you start at 1 and go for 3 minutes doing the exercise written on the board. Then move onto the next one until you've done all 9. You get 30 seconds in between "rounds" or stations. You get wraps and boxing gloves as well b/c it's kickboxing fitness. So half the exercises are punching and kicking.

I only go 3 times a week at best and honestly I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. I am 36 and have 3 little kids so it's hard for me to go regularly and more than 3 times a week. But this is very convenient for me.
PackMom
That 9round thing sounds similar to a place called Curves that my mother-in-law used to go to, in the sense that it had a circuit of stations and you worked your way around it. I think you could do extra circuits if you wanted more of a workout, but I don't remember her mentioning a time limit for each one.
statefan91
I've just started a job where I work from home and it's allowed me the flexibility to get to the Y more than I had. I've been swimming about 800m a couple times a week, and then usually do a lifting day and a day where I do a group fitness class like athletic conditioning.

Anyone have a good full body lifting routine? I don't get to the Y enough to do splits, at least not at this point.
IseWolf22
statefan91 said:

I've just started a job where I work from home and it's allowed me the flexibility to get to the Y more than I had. I've been swimming about 800m a couple times a week, and then usually do a lifting day and a day where I do a group fitness class like athletic conditioning.

Anyone have a good full body lifting routine? I don't get to the Y enough to do splits, at least not at this point.
I would highly suggest you do at least an upper/lower split. A full body day is very is very taxing if you actually hit everything.

If you really can only do 1 day I'd suggest:

Squat 3 sets of 5
Bench Press 3 sets of 5
Pull up 3 sets of 5-10 OR Barbell Row 3 sets of 5
Deadlift 1 set of 5
Shoulder Press 3 sets of 5

Keep weights low to start off and concentrate on form but add at least 5 lbs a week
PackMom
Any recommendations for exercises that are safe to do with meniscus tears? I have a message in for the PA but figured I'd ask here as well.
SSPack
I started at Orangetheory after Thanksgiving. I go 2 days per week and have put on some muscle/toned up and lost 10 lbs (10 more to go for my personal goal weight). They have 3 stations...rowers, dumbells/TRX straps/BOSU ball, and treadmills. Each class is instructor led and is 1 hour long HIIT training. You rotate through the stations and every workout is different. It's a really good workout and you wear a heartrate monitor to keep up with the different zones you're in based on your heartrate.
Francis
Cross Fit seems to be the new Women's Body Building. The 3 chick friends I have that are heavily into Cross Fit have legs like linebackers.
JonathanMetcalf
This is really a good topic for discussion, well for exercise I used wake up early in the morning. Start after meal start doing regular exercise. Exercise on a regular basis avoid so many problem related to our body.
IseWolf22
Did you ever get the home gym going 910wolf?
910wolf
IseWolf22 said:

Did you ever get the home gym going 910wolf?
Not yet, I move next month so hope to have something put together shortly there after
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.