RV Question - Sort of related to Bourbon? (bourbon tour questions)

2,899 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wolfer79
walstylez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey y'all. Question, because I don't know Jack *****t about them. We have 6 of us riding up to Louisville, KY from Charlotte to do the bourbon trail and bourbon hunting on the way up. Rather than cram in a minivan...or even an 8 passenger van...someone came up with the idea of renting a RV. Class C of course. My questions:

Does anyone know anyone reputable to rent one that doesn't cost a million dollars?
What kind to rent (we're not sleeping in it, we're staying at the Embassy Suites, but just want to be comfy)?
Are the Class C ones that much more difficult to drive than a 15 passenger van?
Can you drink in the back of a RV going down the highway? (I feel like that's a stupid question)

Also, if any of y'all have made the trip, any particular liquor stores to stop on the way where you can find some of the hard to find things here in NC?
wilmwolf
First of all, I don't know anything about RVs. I do know a lot about bourbon however. Depending on how many distilleries you are going to each day, you may want to think about the concierge type tours, mainly because they drive you around. If you're only doing a few each day you should be okay. As for stores, I stop in random stores everywhere I go, and hit half a dozen when I went a few years ago. For the most part, you aren't going to find much of anything that you won't find here, other than maybe a couple of regional brands and expressions that are only found there. Interesting things can be found in some of the gift shops at the distilleries. Heaven Hill has a premium brand called William Heavenhill that can only be bought there (~$250). Buffalo Trace has BT, Blanton's, EH Taylor, bourbon cream, and their vodka in the gift shop, limit one each. Woodford always has a gift shop only release available. You may luck into something in a random store, but that will be up to chance.
wolfpack1437
Willet is a must stop. Even though a little out of the way (much less so if you were leaving out of Raleigh), maybe stop at smooth Ambler on the return trip home. Both offer certain single barrels that can only be purchased through the gift shop. Do y'all plan to go to Willet? Heaven Hill also offers the 14yr Old Fitzgerald through their gift shop (only place that sells it, as it is not distributed)
walstylez
Appreciate the pointers fellas. Renting a RV is damn expensive!!
cowboypack02
i don't know anything about renting an RV but make sure that you go to Buffalo Trace while your up there. Out of all of the distilleries that one if my favorite and its not close. My second recommendation would be the Wild Turkey distillery because of the views. The fellow who gave us the tour was from NC and was a huge State fan.
walstylez
Oh we're going. My buddy owns a few restaurants... apparently his Makers rep is going to get us transportation and a tour...as well as his Sazerac rep for Buffalo Trace!!! BT is my fave bourbon anyhow!
cowboypack02
walstylez said:

Oh we're going. My buddy owns a few restaurants... apparently his Makers rep is going to get us transportation and a tour...as well as his Sazerac rep for Buffalo Trace!!! BT is my fave bourbon anyhow!
Mine and yours both. Unfortunately i've never been able to find it at the ABC store locally here, although i can get Eagle Rare
wilmwolf
cowboypack02 said:

walstylez said:

Mine and yours both. Unfortunately i've never been able to find it at the ABC store locally here, although i can get Eagle Rare

If you're in NC, we mostly get it once a quarter, though there is some variance in that. Generally delivered to the stores mid week in the form of a few cases per store, and normally sold out by mid afternoon. Each store gets the same amount, so it's easier to get some in a small rural store as the will be less competition. If you're in Raleigh, you'll pretty much have to be there when it's delivered. Hang around the bourbon thread, I try to post when it's been seen.
walstylez
Ok guys! Does anyone know anything about RVs?! Lol
wilmwolf
walstylez said:

Ok guys! Does anyone know anything about RVs?! Lol

Hey, you should've known where this thread was going when you put bourbon in the title. My brother is a professional musician, and his band has owned several RVs over the years. I know they drink in theirs, but I don't know necessarily that I would base the legality of it on the habits of a hard rock band. Personally, having made the drive to Kentucky a few times, I'd be leery of driving those mountain roads in anything too big without having a lot of experience driving one, but I'm not a big fan of mountain driving anyway. I'm wondering if you can rent from a dealership. The last few times I've rented a car it's been from a dealership and I liked it better than traditional car rental joints.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
Yesterday my sister and brother-in-law said they were going to meet his parents in Louisville and go on bourbon trail. I do not know when, but am asking for additional recommendations to share with them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.