Avent contract extension talks ongoing

3,260 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 3rdGenPacker
Rob McLamb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bigwuf
I hope we can keep him. I know there are those who believe - strongly - otherwise, but I think he continues to a nice job.
Ripper
Unless or until the school starts taking baseball seriously, you might as well keep him. He's good for an NCAA appearance each season.
metcalfmafia
Ripper said:

Unless or until the school starts taking baseball seriously, you might as well keep him. He's good for an NCAA appearance each season.
+1
wilmwolf
I would be opposed to any thing very long term or with a high buyout, which I know is what any coach is looking for. I'm ok with extending him out for recruiting and staff continuity purposes, but would like to make it so that the new AD has some room to work if a change is to be made. I've posted it before, but in an ideal scenario, I'd like to see a succession plan in place with a retirement date for Avent. He's earned that, and it would hopefully ensure a smooth transition that will allow us to continue to build on our steady success.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Pakbackr
I don't know why anyone would be down on Avent. All he has done is consistently win with facilities that are at or near the bottom of the ACC. Why do recruits come here? Its because of Avent.
3rdGenPacker
I'm not saying we should or should not keep Avent, but recruits come here because baseball recruiting is very different than other sports. Let me explain.

Baseball teams have a max of 11.7 scholarships per team, and they have 35 man rosters total, and the 11.7 scholarships can only be spread among 27 players at the most. That means 8 guys are walk-ons at a minimum. Often they're getting some academic money.

High level pitching recruits get the most scholarship money but it is highly unusual for anyone to get 100% scholarship. The minimum any one player can receive is 25%. So, an in-state player will have a significantly smaller bill than an out of state player because he's probably only getting 25-50% scholarship money.

North Carolina has been and remains loaded in High School baseball talent and it continues to grow. Thus, there is an abundance of talented players to choose from with families that benefit the most from a partial scholarship. An in-state kid that gets 40% off $20K means the family only has to pay $12K. If the same kid gets a 60% offer from South Carolina, where the total cost is $44K out of state, that family is left paying more than $17K. South Carolina is technically offering him a lot more money, but the family ends up needing to pay more. So, there is a strong incentive for families to stay in-state when it comes to baseball recruiting.

Add in the fact NC State and UNC can offer the chance to play in one of the top 2-3 conferences in the country for baseball and they should get the top players (for the most part). ECU and UNCW have been able to benefit tremendously as well and grow excellent programs that often are in the Top 25. UNCG has really taken off the last 5 years too. Heck, Central is becoming a good program. They were 6-1 against Big South teams last year. There's just so much talent in NC right now and the money drives kids to in-state schools. If everyone could offer 27 free rides, that would change the dynamic entirely, but that's not the case.

So, again, Avent may or may not be a good coach, I'm not debating that here. I'm just pointing out, he's got one of the only "big time" programs in a state filled with talent and a recruiting process that gives families incentive to stay home. It seems almost anyone could get talent in that situation. In fact, I know multiple families that have or are sending kids to play at State and Avent wasn't much of a factor in any of their decisions.
Ripper
Does Avent get credit for Ciencin, Chamra, Williamson, Brown, Kinneman, Mazzoni, Knizner, Klyman, Turner, Dunand, Mendoza, Palmiero, Feeney, Tatum, etc?
Pakbackr
So if everyone should be able to recruit quality players, then for us to have won as many games as we have over the years, he must be a pretty good coach...just saying
JCooke93
That would be coach Hart
Ripper
So every player for the past 20+ years came to Raleigh to play baseball for NC State in spite of the head coach? In state kids like the tuition. In state and out of state kids like Coach Hart and the chance to play in ACC. Most, if not all, either don't like the head guy or could care less about the head guy. I guess that covers it.
3rdGenPacker
I certainly think you have to give Coach Avent credit for recruiting lots of talented players from out of state. I'm not suggesting otherwise. I'm simply pointing out the fact, he's got a big advantage over almost everyone in the state of NC, which happens to have lots of baseball talent recently. So he's been able to recruit talented teams, despite the facilities issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.