Thread of Pack9 commits that have been selected in the 2018 MLB Draft

6,135 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EthanBarry
Rob McLamb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
I have started a tweet thread listing NC State's baseball commits that have been selected in the 2018 MLB Draft. I will try to update it as I go.

Twitter: @RobMcLamb
Ripper
Jake Zebron, 18th round.
Rob McLamb
Staff
Ripper said:

Jake Zebron, 18th round.
He is added. I will keep posting. It can be time-consuming but eventually I will get them all.
Twitter: @RobMcLamb
Pakbackr
What's the general thoughts on whether players selected late in the draft will go pro or go college route? I recall Carlos going in Round 16 and he decided to go to school. But I also recall hearing something about how the "slot money" rules get lifter after round 15. On that note, I think recruiting must be so hard for college baseball coaches!
Gost8
can we get an interview with elliot to discuss each recruit and the possibility of some signing with a mlb club?
PackFansXL
Link

D1Baseball's article about a players chances of making the Bigs versus draft round and the likelihood of signing is linked above. Rick Karcher updates Allan Simpson's study with key points as quoted below:

Quote:

So college players reach the big leagues at a higher rate than players drafted out of high school, and the difference is most pronounced in the first two rounds. But it's interesting to note that the gap shrinks after the first couple of rounds college players still get there at higher rates, but there is a less pronounced difference. The "safest" picks are college position players selected toward the top of the draft.

However, Karcher noted that players in his sample who were drafted beyond the top five rounds had a lower chance of playing three years in the big leagues compared to the players in Simpson's study. The percentage of players in the three cohorts from 1996 to 2011 who played in the major leagues more than three years was 9 percent for rounds 6-10 combined (compared to 11.4 percent from 1965-95), 5.2 percent for rounds 11-15 combined (compared to 6.1 percent from 1965-95), and 4.4 percent for rounds 16-20 combined (compared to 5.6 percent from 1965-95).

Drafted - Percent Signed (1996 - 2011 data)
Round 1 - 97.2
Round 2 - 94.8
Round 3 - 93.5
Round 4 - 92.9
Round 5 - 92.1
Rounds 6-10 - 91.25
Rounds 16-20 - 81.6
Note: article omits Rounds 11-15 for signing stats.
CLTWolf
Brian Rey- gone. Major surprise if he ends up in Raleigh
Julian Smith- gone. Never coming unless he wasn't drafted or drafted super late.
Alec Barger- Glimmer of hope here. He told his hometown paper yesterday that he had some thinking to do but was leaning towards staying in school. We'll see.
Holden Laws- I'd assume he's gone but his family has posted on PP that there's a "good chance" he's in raleigh but that was before the draft. No idea what his number is but sounds like it's high. Bullock got almost 300K last year in the same round.
Jake Zebron- he's probably gone. He did an interview with his hometown paper and he all but said he's signing.
JCooke93
CLTWolf said:

Julian Smith- gone. Never coming unless he wasn't drafted or drafted super late.
Alec Barger- Glimmer of hope here. He told his hometown paper yesterday that he had some thinking to do but was leaning towards staying in school. We'll see.
Holden Laws- I'd assume he's gone but his family has posted on PP that there's a "good chance" he's in raleigh but that was before the draft. No idea what his number is but sounds like it's high. Bullock got almost 300K last year in the same round.
Jake Zebron- he's probably gone. He did an interview with his hometown paper and he all but said he's signing.
Zebron is Gone
Ripper
After losing most of these guys, Avent needs to find some late additions like Debo and Feeney. Or have a few players fall into his lap like McKeithan and Britt. With no new additions we'll be a little thin and somewhat inexperienced.
JCooke93
Ripper said:

After losing most of these guys, Avent needs to find some late additions like Debo and Feeney. Or have a few players fall into his lap like McKeithan and Britt. With no new additions we'll be a little thin and somewhat inexperienced.
We are going to be fine
Ripper
JCooke93 said:

Ripper said:

We are going to be fine
Yes, I know. Life is good. However, we need an extra infusion of talent to compete in 2019.
ScoobyWolf
CLTWolf said:

Laws signed with the Mariners
CLTWolf
ScoobyWolf said:

CLTWolf said:

Laws signed with the Mariners
Yep, Laws got $200K to sign, the Mariners ponied up.

ScoobyWolf
Alec Barger tweeted that he would be coming to State for his junior year.

(If someone could instruct me on how to post a tweet, I would appreciate it)
wilmwolf
ScoobyWolf said:

(If someone could instruct me on how to post a tweer, I would appreciate it)

Just copy the link to the tweet and paste it into the message. Like so.

Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
Big. He had a great year at Polk which usually has and plays against a lot of talented baseball players. Barger and the kid from Pitt CC will help the rotation big time, IMO.

Barger had some nice numbers this year.
PackFansXL
Good news!
ScoobyWolf
wilmwolf80 said:

ScoobyWolf said:

(If someone could instruct me on how to post a tweer, I would appreciate it)

Just copy the link to the tweet and paste it into the message. Like so.

thanks. I will try again sometime.
wilmwolf
FWIW, I did that on my phone. In the twitter app, you click on a little arrow at the top corner of the tweet and it gives you the option to copy a link to the tweet. Then just paste that into the message box here.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Ripper
Barger could be good. Always good to have some drafted guys on your roster.
Wolfer79
wilmwolf80 said:

FWIW, I did that on my phone. In the twitter app, you click on a little arrow at the top corner of the tweet and it gives you the option to copy a link to the tweet. Then just paste that into the message box here.
thank you
JCooke93
J.Smith has not singed yet
EthanBarry
Staff
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.