Inexpensive (relatively speaking) Idea for Doak Enhancement

27,849 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mdreid
Glasswolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WolfQuacker said:

So much for the urban legend that some big wig wanted to donate to upgrade baseball facilities and was told it couldn't be earmarked.
That was mostly under Todd Turner. Yow and the WPC have and will accept donations earmarked to specific programs. Up till now, no one has stepped up to make such donations with the exception of Curtis Dail. You see who's name is on the BB facility don't you?
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

Pakbackr
Campbell's Jim Perry Stadium is small, but quite impressive. I'm sure it helps to have the support of a major league team's farm club using your stadium for a few years. Regardless of how it happened, it is a darn nice little stadium.
Wolfer79
Lagniappe
I'm still wondering about the $90,000 that was raised in a dinner with Catfish Hunter in the '80s. It was supposed to go for lights. The $90,000 figure was in the N&O and never heard from again.
Wolfer79
Pakbackr
Does anyone know what happened to the display that used to show the pitch speed? I miss that.
JCooke93
Pakbackr said:

Does anyone know what happened to the display that used to show the pitch speed? I miss that.
They Stopped showing it because it would detract the Players because they kept looking to see How fast they were throwing
Wolfer79
89_Grad
Boo is crazy if he even thinks for more than 10 seconds about expanding seating capacity at the Doak. The attendence was absolutely pitiful this weekend for the Clemson series. Place was, at best, 1/3 full for game 3 on Sunday. Pack fans show up for ECU, UNC, and literally noone else. Not really something to base your facility improvement plan on...
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Ncstatefan01
89_Grad said:

Boo is crazy if he even thinks for more than 10 seconds about expanding seating capacity at the Doak. The attendence was absolutely pitiful this weekend for the Clemson series. Place was, at best, 1/3 full for game 3 on Sunday. Pack fans show up for ECU, UNC, and literally noone else. Not really something to base your facility improvement plan on...
Friday: sold out
Saturday: time change from night game at 6:30 to noon. I'm sure the night game would have had better attendance.
Sunday: 1pm on Mother's Day.

C,mon man....
WilmingtonPackman777
^If your baseball team is less important than moms, you have to question your fan base.
89_Grad
Ncstatefan01 said:

89_Grad said:

Friday: sold out
Saturday: time change from night game at 6:30 to noon. I'm sure the night game would have had better attendance.
Sunday: 1pm on Mother's Day.

C,mon man....
I have season tickets in Section 11, and there has been two games all year where folks were in the seats on either side of me. People who own businesses must be buying blocks of seats for the tax writeoff, because there are numerous 4 seat blocks in that section that have been empty all year. If it was a sellout, then it was a "Kenan Stadium" style sellout, where hundreds of fans came disguised as aluminum...
metcalfmafia
When we were riding high earlier in the year, were all the seats full?
UCWolf12
Of all sports baseball will benefit the most if alcohol sales are permitted. There's a lot of baseball competition in the triangle and people do choose to attend minor league games for that reason.
89_Grad
metcalfmafia said:

No. With the caveat that I missed the Louisville series, the Minnesota and Pitt series were disappointingly light, the FSU series was good (80-85% full, but still lots of aluminum in the season ticket sections), and probably slightly less full for the VIrginia series. Our fans don't show up when it is cold (Feb./March) or when it is hot (May), and we sucked in April. So all in all, a pretty pitiful year for gameday attendence at the Doak. Probably not a hit financially, because many of those empty seats are paid for, but my impression is that genuine interest and excitement around this program is pretty low right now.

Even then they were highly ranked earlier, it seemed to be more apprehension ("waiting for the other shoe to drop") rather than any sense of jubilation.
metcalfmafia
89_Grad said:

metcalfmafia said:

No. With the caveat that I missed the Louisville series, the Minnesota and Pitt series were disappointingly light, the FSU series was good (80-85% full, but still lots of aluminum in the season ticket sections), and probably slightly less full for the VIrginia series. Our fans don't show up when it is cold (Feb./March) or when it is hot (May), and we sucked in April. So all in all, a pretty pitiful year for gameday attendence at the Doak. Probably not a hit financially, because many of those empty seats are paid for, but my impression is that genuine interest and excitement around this program is pretty low right now.

Even then they were highly ranked earlier, it seemed to be more apprehension ("waiting for the other shoe to drop") rather than any sense of jubilation.
Thanks for the response. I get the sense that fans have become apathetic as well.
PackFansXL
metcalfmafia said:

89_Grad said:

metcalfmafia said:

Thanks for the response. I get the sense that fans have become apathetic as well.
Apathetic now that the team is not on a hot streak or for the whole season?
metcalfmafia
PackFansXL said:

metcalfmafia said:

89_Grad said:

metcalfmafia said:

Whole season. There was obviously excitement on social media, but not enough excitement to make folks wanna show up.

This is all based on what 89_Grad is saying.
89_Grad
metcalfmafia said:

PackFansXL said:

metcalfmafia said:

89_Grad said:

metcalfmafia said:

Whole season. There was obviously excitement on social media, but not enough excitement to make folks wanna show up.

Another measure of apathy is total lack of any activity on any of the various baseball threads on this and other message boards. Other than Wolfer posting the team's tweets, look at this forum...this is really the only active discussion...

Another key indicator is that most of the Avent apologists are people who don't actually go to the games, and are only observing the program from afar. I hear LOTS of grumbling from the folks around me at Doak at his crazy substitution patterns, game management, and bad instructions to hitters on take/swing.
PackFansXL
89_Grad said:

metcalfmafia said:

PackFansXL said:

metcalfmafia said:

89_Grad said:

metcalfmafia said:

Another measure of apathy is total lack of any activity on any of the various baseball threads on this and other message boards. Other than Wolfer posting the team's tweets, look at this forum...this is really the only active discussion...

Another key indicator is that most of the Avent apologists are people who don't actually go to the games, and are only observing the program from afar. I hear LOTS of grumbling from the folks around me at Doak at his crazy substitution patterns, game management, and bad instructions to hitters on take/swing.
There are two alternative reactions to your observation. One is the local fans you hang with tend to have invested for some time and have completely reached a groupthink consensus that everything Avent does is wrong. Because the observers from afar are not biased with local groupthink, they see baseball stuff happening as it usually does to other teams. The other way of taking this is your experience has taught you the most likely outcome of Avent's strategies while the remote observers may only be investing when there is something important on the line at the end of the season. I will say groupthink can leave one overly biased and closed minded while detachment can easily leave one uninformed.

At this point, I remain hopeful that we can take this series with the uncch and find a way to win either the ACC postseason or make a return visit to the CWS. I won't say I expect those things to occur but they could happen. That's why we have to play the games.
TraCha4
Build it and they will come...,,
Colonel Armstrong
UCWolf12 said:

Of all sports baseball will benefit the most if alcohol sales are permitted. There's a lot of baseball competition in the triangle and people do choose to attend minor league games for that reason.

When I was a student I always said that adding a porch behind the left field wall and selling beer out there would be a game changer. I hated sitting on that hill that half the time is a mudslide by the middle of the year.

Baseball and beer go together. Attendance should improve once alcohol is sold.
Formerly King Leary
mdreid
TraCha4 said:

Build it and they will come...,,
Fire Avent and we might finally win our division, he's been here since 97 and has never won the Atlantic, a football coach or basketball coach would never been given 20 years to not win anything.

If Boo wants to raise money for the baseball program, he'll get Avent to "resign" this offseason and the wallets will open up

Edit: 313-288 ACC record over 22 years, barely over .500

how is he still here...Fin.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.