Inexpensive (relatively speaking) Idea for Doak Enhancement

27,598 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mdreid
Pakbackr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've long been a proponent of "let's replace Doak with a new modern ballpark on Centennial", but who knows if and when that will ever happen. People talk about attendance and that we don't fill the seats we have now...to which I say B.S.! Since the UNC series, which coincidentally was about the time the weather really warmed up, I think we have averaged over 3,000 for about every game. I can only really attest to night games, because I only go to the night games. As someone who has had skin cancer scares, I cannot and will not sit out in the blazing sun for the afternoon games. And judging from the empty seats I see on TV, I bet there are lots of other fans who are simply not interested in sitting out in 90+ degree heat in the blazing sun.

Want to improve attendance, IMHO, the day games are what we need to give attention to...and this leads me to my point.

I wonder if the University would consider investing in a "Sports Shade System" similar to the ones that have been installed at a number of college sports venues around the country? Some examples are:

Add these and some big fans to circulate the air, and I personally would be much more likely to attend a day game.

And if moving to a new field is simply out of the question, let's start working on an expansion down the 1st base line that mirrors the 3rd base hill, except with premium seats and expanded facilities for the team underneath. And while we are at it, let's expand the concessions and add gates for entry and exit down both the 3rd and 1st base sides.

There is so much that could be done without breaking the bank. Now is the time to start talking about this when our team is performing at one of the highest levels in many years.

Now is the
PackFansXL
I agree that those look very nice and would likely be much appreciated by the fans.
gopack1979
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We'd already have a renovated Doak if EA hadn't been so hard to deal with. It was pitched to him 2 years ago. Plans had the roof you guys crave too.
Pakbackr
What is it that EA wanted? This is first I have heard of this.
FCO_Wolf
Personally I think we need to move the bull pens out to the outfield like pro stadiums have then expand the seating down the first and third base lines into the old bull pens. Also add a shade structure over all the seating.
Packsd14me
FCO_Wolf said:

Personally I think we need to move the bull pens out to the outfield like pro stadiums have then expand the seating down the first and third base lines into the old bull pens. Also add a shade structure over all the seating.
I agree FCO_Wolf. I have been telling my friends this for years. I also would like to see Avent's Army in covered bleachers in left and right fields. The bullpens could be placed near them, especially the visitors. It could provide a unique experience for the visitor's bullpen occupants.

This expansion would give us much more seating, make us even more attractive to host NCAA games and create our typical Wolfpack version of rowdy atmosphere.

I think the expansion would pay for itself in a few years with the series sellouts against Clemson, UNC, FSU, Lousiville, and larger crowds versus Duke, Wake, Va, Va Tech and Ga Tech especially when the weather warms up. We could bring in ECU, South Carolina, Coastal, UNC-W, and more large non-conference games to create both crowds and exposure which would create more interest in the program. It should provide added national TV exposure. The stadium expansion could lead to all these things. Baseball could help pay for itself. We are behind other programs that we compete with in this aspect.
gopack1979
The concept design which was presented 2 years ago did have additional seating down the first base line and also a hill type area there. The cages/practice facility were moved out to behind left field. The fan entrance to Doak was down the right field line(looked really good) and yes there was a lid with a strange looking upper deck. I'd share the plans with you guys but I've been told not to.
gopack1979
On the expansion paying for itself, we're talking about an increase in capacity of maybe 2K tickets, at $20 per ticket(which is high) it will take a while to pay off what would likely be a $15M expansion project.
Packsd14me
gopack1979 said:

On the expansion paying for itself, we're talking about an increase in capacity of maybe 2K tickets, at $20 per ticket(which is high) it will take a while to pay off what would likely be a $15M expansion project.
I didn't mean to infer that that 2-3K extra seats would pay for the expansion. It would though add to revenues,maybe as much as $40-50,000 annually with added ticket revenue and more with food, drink and souvenirs sales, that would help fund the program that are not being funded now. It can't hurt.
jwpack
The first thing they should do in an expansion is to trash all of the seats & install wider seats with more leg room in front of you. The next thing is put a cover over the fans, after that anything else would be an improvement from what we have.
Pakbackr
Just listened to podcast interview with DY on PP, and her comments about plans for enhancing Doak are quite disappointing. My take is that the focus of any enhancements would be on player areas, and I heard nothing about enhancements for the fan experience. I'm all for beefing up the facilities for the players, but if you ignore the major infrastructure and overall fan experience, that is a huge mistake, IMHO.
wilmwolf
Pakbackr said:

Just listened to podcast interview with DY on PP, and her comments about plans for enhancing Doak are quite disappointing. My take is that the focus of any enhancements would be on player areas, and I heard nothing about enhancements for the fan experience. I'm all for beefing up the facilities for the players, but if you ignore the major infrastructure and overall fan experience, that is a huge mistake, IMHO.
At this point, the fans have shown that they will show up despite the deficiencies, at least when certain teams are in town. The player portion is what we need for recruiting, both players and future coaches. The fan experience no doubt needs work too, but unless people stop coming, that won't be the priority. For instance, I hate the fan experience at C-F. The curved bleachers hurt my butt, the bathrooms are inadequate, they run out of concessions, but yet, I bought my season tickets again this year, so my complaints will likely fall on deaf ears. I'm not saying people should stop buying tickets and going to the games, but that's really your only bargaining chip unless you are a big money donor. Hopefully common sense will prevail when it comes to upgrading the experience for everyone involved.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
Lagniappe
gopack1979 said:

I don't see any baseball expansion or new stadium EVER paying for itself. Most of us understand that baseball will never pay for their own way. However a smart plan could help. Maybe hold events like concerts, graduations, corporate events, university functions, wedding, etc at the facility would help reduce costs. I work in Sugar Land, TX, where there is a minor league park that hosts car, boat and RV shows, farmer's markets, corporate functions, etc. There is something going on year round.
Bigwuf
Thanks for this email. Some excellent thoughts and suggestions. Hopefully, Debbie or someone with WPC reads this...
TraCha4
TraCha4
^ was trying to post a link to Mississippi State 's new baseball expansion. Anyone seen that yet? Wow!
Wolfer79
TraCha4 said:

^ was trying to post a link to Mississippi State 's new baseball expansion. Anyone seen that yet? Wow!
I got your back

SEC baseball powerhouse Mississippi State University has never been afraid of embracing change and finding new ways to upgrade and enhance Dudy Noble Field, as the home of the Bulldogs is the midst of a two-year renovation set to be completed for the 2019 season.

Upon returning, Boerner and his team identified issues to improve upon with the new design. In 2014, plans for Dudy Noble Field included a new double-tiered grandstand with chairback seating, an elevated concourse, new entry plazas, new premium areas and a concourse that wraps around the field.
The biggest concern, as far as the community was concerned, was how the design would affect the Left Field Lounge, a popular area beyond the left field fence.

"It's been a hot topic around Mississippi State because a lot of people said that was the most unique thing about the university as far as athletics go. Originally it was just a chain-link fence in the outfield 30 years ago. The university started allowing people to start pulling trucks up to the back of the fence. It became an exclusive area where they sold lot spaces which were basically parking lots," Boerner said. "You would have about a 9-by-20-foot space to pull your rig in. It's changed from just a truck to people pulling in old cotton trailers to sometimes a double or triple decker rig."

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/01/26/making-over-dudy-noble-field-a-two-year-project/

TraCha4
Thank you for that.
Pakbackr
Holy crap, what a stadium!
Pakbackr
For those who would like to see us build something on Centennial Campus, I spoke with someone this week with direct knowledge of the master build-out plan on Centennial. They said there has never been any discussions about putting a ballpark on Centennial, and based both on the master plans and the value of the land, they cannot imagine that ever happening.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79 said:

TraCha4 said:

I got your back

SEC baseball powerhouse Mississippi State University has never been afraid of embracing change and finding new ways to upgrade and enhance Dudy Noble Field, as the home of the Bulldogs is the midst of a two-year renovation set to be completed for the 2019 season.

Upon returning, Boerner and his team identified issues to improve upon with the new design. In 2014, plans for Dudy Noble Field included a new double-tiered grandstand with chairback seating, an elevated concourse, new entry plazas, new premium areas and a concourse that wraps around the field.
The biggest concern, as far as the community was concerned, was how the design would affect the Left Field Lounge, a popular area beyond the left field fence.

"It's been a hot topic around Mississippi State because a lot of people said that was the most unique thing about the university as far as athletics go. Originally it was just a chain-link fence in the outfield 30 years ago. The university started allowing people to start pulling trucks up to the back of the fence. It became an exclusive area where they sold lot spaces which were basically parking lots," Boerner said. "You would have about a 9-by-20-foot space to pull your rig in. It's changed from just a truck to people pulling in old cotton trailers to sometimes a double or triple decker rig."

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/01/26/making-over-dudy-noble-field-a-two-year-project/

Wolfer79
TraCha4 said:

Wolfer79
Wolfer79
TraCha4 said:

Wolfer79
Wolfer79 said:

Wolfer79
FSU, Seminole Boosters announce $100 million Unconquered Campaign to support athletics

The five-year campaign will fund a number of Seminole Athletics projects that include:

A number of improvements to the infrastructure and fan experience at Dick Howser Stadium. The $6 million project will include permanent left field bleacher seating, new field lighting, updated team strength and conditioning facilities, and a new team building.

Wolfer79
metcalfmafia
Wolfer79 said:

I really like that terraced grass seating.
Pakbackr
Wow...we keep falling farther and father behind!
Wolfer79

Add to Doak Field at Dail Park?
JCooke93
Until Yow is Gone There Will Not Be No Upgrades To The Doak
Ripper
JCooke93 said:

What happens after she leaves? Upgrades?
Pakbackr
I like Yow and think she has done a terrific job as AD. That said, when the new AD comes in next year, I hope he or she recognizes the immediate need for improvements in our baseball facilities!
Ripper
Baseball stadium improvements, however modest, should be next on the sports infrastructure list. Just ahead of the east stands at C-F, and Swimming.

Both soccer teams should be good for a while. W. Basketball, Volleyball, and Wrestling are set. M. Basketball is set for a while. Softball is set.
Wolfer79
Ripper said:

JCooke93 said:

What happens after she leaves? Upgrades?

Depends on who is new AD and their philosophy
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.