Baseball 4/20-22 @ Duke

33,927 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EthanBarry
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friday 6pm
Saturday 1pm
Sunday 1pm

Match up of ACC Division leaders
metcalfmafia
This is a big RPI series for us. Let's see how good Duke really is shall we?
Stater
Huge series. Although if the Pack keeps winning they'll all be big.

Duke's record is impressive. But what are their strengths? Weaknesses?

Paniconpack
Big time match-up this weekend. Hope to see a lot of Red in the stadium
metcalfmafia
Stater said:

Just from a glance...it seems like they are better at pitching and we are better at hitting.
PicklePacker
Duke's lost 3 of their last 7 games. Got hammered by ECU last night. Should be a fun series.
ScoobyWolf
metcalfmafia said:

Stater said:

Just from a glance...it seems like they are better at pitching and we are better at hitting.
Pitching looks pretty even to me.

Duke's era is 3.43, ours is 3.44
Opponents are hitting .232 against Duke and .234 against us.

I dont see how you can conclude they are better at pitching.
metcalfmafia
ScoobyWolf said:

metcalfmafia said:

Stater said:

Pitching looks pretty even to me.

Duke's era is 3.43, ours is 3.44
Opponents are hitting .232 against Duke and .234 against us.

I dont see how you can conclude they are better at pitching.

I literally just went and looked at the era rankings and saw who was ranked better. I didn't even look at the number. My bad.
TheCapper
ACC has a lot of teams that are good at pitching and defense. The offense (and depth of offense) is difference between our team and others.

It would be nice for Piedmonte to notch a win on Friday.
Wolfer79
.@NCStateBaseball will look to pick up its seventh straight ACC series win with a visit to No. 8 Duke this weekend
https://t.co/vOWd3IxnA9
Wolfer79
Stater said:

From linked Technician article

The Blue Devils' strength is certainly their bullpen. While the weekend rotation is formidable in its own right, Duke's relief corps features several lockdown options and lots of depth.

Fifth-year senior and Creighton transfer Ethan DeCaster owns a microscopic 0.32 ERA in 28 .1 innings pitched out of the bullpen, striking out 33 batters and exhibiting excellent control by walking just two opposing batters.

Jack Labosky is another bullpen piece for the Blue Devils. The right-hander, who also plays third base, has yet to give up a run in 18 innings of relief. He's been less successful at the plate, batting just .208 but also gets on base at a solid clip, walking 18 times with a .360 on-base percentage.

Other contributors to the bullpen success are Matt Dockman, Bill Chillari and Graeme Stinson, all of which have an ERA under 3.00.

Another forte for Duke is its ability to get on base. The team has a collective 172 walks. More impressive, however, is how many times the Blue Devils reach base by way of a hit by pitch. The team's batters have been plunked an ACC-best 67 times, with Labosky leading the way at 14.
Wolfer79
Weekend Preview - No. 2 #Pack9 Travels to Duke for Top-Five Matchup This Weekend https://t.co/UokSPwbITO

STARTING PITCHERS
Friday RHP Reid Johnston (NCSU) vs. LHP Adam Laskey (Duke)
Saturday LHP Brian Brown (NCSU) vs. LHP Mitch Stallings (Duke)
Sunday RHP Michael Bienlien (NCSU) vs. TBA (Duke)

Scouting Duke
The Duke Blue Devils are ranked among the top 10 of five major polls for the first time in program history with the highest at No. 3 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll. The Blue Devils won their last ACC series against Florida State, as the squad picked up their first series victory against the Seminoles since 1994.

Duke has only lost one conference series this season, falling in the rubber game of the series at Wake Forest.

Joey Loperfido leads the team at the plate with a .328 batting average to go along with 41 hits and a team-high 28 RBI. Griffin Conine paces the Blue Devils with seven home runs and the team has hit 30 for the year. As a team, Duke owns a .261 batting average and is scoring 6.26 runs per game.

Duke's pitching staff is tied for the second-best ERA in the conference with a 3.43 clip.
EthanBarry
Staff
^^ No Johnny isn't a good sign. I'd consider resting him until the ACC tournament with periodic bullpen appearances to keep him fresh. Maybe it will be better for his back to move him to the bullpen full time?
Wolfer79
EthanBarry said:

^^ No Johnny isn't a good sign. I'd consider resting him until the ACC tournament with periodic bullpen appearances to keep him fresh. Maybe it will be better for his back to move him to the bullpen full time?

Not sure getting warmed up and waiting to go in would be good for Piedmonte's back if he has to stand between innings now. I could see it working if he warmed up while Pack9 at bat and went in to start inning.
Pack31
EthanBarry said:

Agree. Hate Johnny may be out as a starter, but I think bullpen would be great for him, maybe 3-4 innings if needed, where he could go wide open knowing his limit versus starting. As Wolfer said, it would have to be thought out versus warming and standing around. Like what I've seen form Johnston though. Also need another big time bridge game start from Brown too.
SportManagementEngineer
While his back has been giving him issues, do we know that his absence is injury related? Or could it be that we've struggled on Friday nights and Avent is trying to mix things up?
EthanBarry
Staff
SportManagementEngineer said:

While his back has been giving him issues, do we know that his absence is injury related? Or could it be that we've struggled on Friday nights and Avent is trying to mix things up?
I'm 99.9% sure it's because of his back
Wolfer79
EthanBarry said:

The 0.1% is if Piedmonte starts Tuesday vs East Carolina?
Pack31
Wolfer79 said:

EthanBarry said:

That would be awesome if he could. I mean he went what, 6 at Louisville 3 starts ago in very cold weather. Had a nono for several innings too. He has the stuff, just hurting right now.
Wolfer79
It's #Gameday! Big series for the #Pack9 this weekend...

- Duke
- 6:00 p.m.
- https://t.co/ATnjivfmwk
- WKNC 88.1 FM
- https://t.co/Q5KG4CSImI
- https://t.co/Xdpe03foOu https://t.co/0LU8XfIhd7
WesNCSU
WesNCSU

Wolfer79
Stadium Gates Open (90) minutes prior to first pitch Friday 4:30 p.m., Saturday 11:30 a.m., Sunday 11:30 a.m.

Stadium Bag & Chair Policy - Small bags and personal items are permitted to enter Jack Coombs Field. Backpacks and large bags are not permitted except for medical or childcare reasons. All bags will be inspected and searched prior to entering the stadium. Lawn chairs are permitted in the stadium but may only be used in the lawn seating area along the first base line.

For All Duke Baseball Game Day Information Visit www.goduke.com and review the Jack Coombs Field Game Day A-Z Guide, available in the Fan Zone drop-down menu.
wolfpack1437
1-1 after 2. Johnston got squared up a bit that inning
Andrew4343
Great job stringing together hits!
wolfpack1437
I thought they squared up Reid pretty well again that inning. Regardless Pack leads 4-1
wolfpack1437
8-1 Pack mid 4. Chased Duke starter in the top of the inning
EthanBarry
Staff
Wolfer79 said:

EthanBarry said:

I'll happily be wrong if that's the case haha
Wolfer79
Haynes said on radio pregame that Piedmonte is shut down for at least this weekend
Wolfer79
wolfpack1437
9-2 Pack mid 6
Wolfer79
TheCapper
I can't see crowd size, but our fans are certainly louder than Duke's.
PackFansXL
Current score?
Whitetailpack
9-2 Pack going to bottom of 9th.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.