Baseball vs East Carolina 4/24:6pm CANCELLED

9,142 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Gopack80
Wolfer79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WolfQuacker
Great, probably be a lot of purple there. My FIL this weekend was talking up their ranking and they are all excited. He's such a great guy, I took little pleasure in informing him we were top 5 (2nd in several polls). It burst his bubble a little. Fully expect a w/e starter from them for this game.
Wolfer79
Wolfer79
I missed Sunday game vs Duke but looking at box score, no idea who starts on mound vs Pirates

Gauthier 1.2 IP
Justice 2.0 IP
Harrison 2.0 IP

Pack31
Wolfer79 said:

I missed Sunday game vs Duke but looking at box score, no idea who starts on mound vs Pirates

Gauthier 1.2 IP
Justice 2.0 IP
Harrison 2.0 IP

If not rained out, I think it's Piedmonte. Avent got him some extra rest/recovery, and he wants to beat the Pirates bad!!!
wilmwolf
Pack31 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Gauthier 1.2 IP
Justice 2.0 IP
Harrison 2.0 IP

If not rained out, I think it's Piedmonte. Avent got him some extra rest/recovery, and he wants to beat the Pirates bad!!!

If he's healthy, I can't imagine Johnny wouldn't pitch during the weekend series with UNC. If the game against ECU doesn't get rained out, it's still way way less important than a conference series, even with ECU being ranked where they are.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
CLTWolf
Pack31 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Gauthier 1.2 IP
Justice 2.0 IP
Harrison 2.0 IP

Another bullpen game I'd bet. Swiney could go a couple and has a start under his belt as well (Clemson). Gauthier seems to be the midweek long guy when needed.

I doubt Piedmonte starts a midweek game if healthy when the unc series is days away and he'll be needed then.
Wolfer79
Pack31 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Gauthier 1.2 IP
Justice 2.0 IP
Harrison 2.0 IP

I did not think about the soggy forecast, good point.
Pack31
CLTWolf said:

Pack31 said:

Wolfer79 said:

Gauthier 1.2 IP
Justice 2.0 IP
Harrison 2.0 IP

Another bullpen game I'd bet. Swiney could go a couple and has a start under his belt as well (Clemson). Gauthier seems to be the midweek long guy when needed.

I doubt Piedmonte starts a midweek game if healthy when the unc series is days away and he'll be needed then.

Oh, I agree unc is more important. Johnny hasn't pitched in a while, so if he went tuesday and was healthy, he could go Sunday versus unc on 5 days, bc I'm hoping Johnston retains the Friday slot for good now and Brown stays in the Saturday hole . He was awesome against Duke.
Wolfer79
Midweek Preview - #Pack9 to Host No. 7 ECU Tuesday Evening in Top-10 Battle https://t.co/beKMGvSYrt

STARTING PITCHERS
Tuesday TBA (ECU) vs. TBA (NCSU)

Scouting ECU
After dropping a series against USF, ECU has countered by winning its last four games highlighted by a conference series sweep at Memphis. Last week, the Pirates earned a 9-2 win against third-ranked Duke in Durham.

ECU's 30-9 overall record has the squad ranked No. 7 in the Baseball America Top-25 Poll.

Bryant Packard leads the team at the plate with a .400 batting average, which leads the American Athletic Conference (AAC) and ranks 17th in the NCAA. He has tallied 50 hits and also a team-high 10 home runs. As a team, ECU batters have compiled a .289 batting average.

The Pirates have been stellar on the mound, as their pitching staff owns a 3.12 earned run average (ERA) to rank 13th in the nation. Additionally, ECU has been strong defensively with a .983 fielding percentage, which is the fifth best in the country.
BigLefty24
I think the game against ECU is more important that winning the series against UNC. They're higher ranked, they won 2 out of 3 against UNC, and beat the brakes off of Duke. If you want to claim to be the best program in the state, you need to beat ECU.

You've already got a convincing win against UNC, so even if you lose the series 2-1, you're still even on the year with them.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

CLTWolf
BigLefty24 said:

I think the game against ECU is more important that winning the series against UNC. They're higher ranked, they won 2 out of 3 against UNC, and beat the brakes off of Duke. If you want to claim to be the best program in the state, you need to beat ECU.

You've already got a convincing win against UNC, so even if you lose the series 2-1, you're still even on the year with them.

No way. Come on now, that makes no sense. The unc game didn't count in the ACC standings and the ECU game wouldn't either, obviously. Winning an ACC series is more important than a midweek game.

I didn't pick that emoji but it kinda fits.
wolfpack1437
BigLefty24 said:

Beating ECU a bigger deal than an ACC regular season title? No way
PackFansXL
I agree with CLT, anytime we play the Holes, we must win. To me, GTHC is the fight song. Wake and Duke stand in line, but ECU wasn't even mentioned when I was in school. I agree that beating a sound team like ECU is desirable, but winning each and every series in the ACC is more important.
BigLefty24
wolfpack1437 said:

BigLefty24 said:

Is there even such a thing as a regular season baseball title? Who won it last year (without Googling). The only thing anyone remembers is winning the ACC Tournament championship and Super Regional/CWS runs. The ACC Tournament winner has been recognized as the ACC baseball champion since 1973. No one cares who wins the regular season. It's nothing but seeding.

But just lose to ECU and see how that fares.. You'll never hear the end of how ECU dominated the ACC schools and how States best team possibly ever still couldn't beat ECU. Godwin would have a field day with that in the recruiting trail.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

wolfpack1437
^there will be a such thing if we finish with the best record. Beggers can't be choosers in drought situations like ours
wolfpack1437
And in regards to the ECU deal--- if their midweek starter is better than ours.... whoopty freaking do (that's my response to Godwin)
CLTWolf
BigLefty24 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

BigLefty24 said:

Is there even such a thing as a regular season baseball title? Who won it last year (without Googling). The only thing anyone remembers is winning the ACC Tournament championship and Super Regional/CWS runs. The ACC Tournament winner has been recognized as the ACC baseball champion since 1973. No one cares who wins the regular season. It's nothing but seeding.

But just lose to ECU and see how that fares.. You'll never hear the end of how ECU dominated the ACC schools and how States best team possibly ever still couldn't beat ECU. Godwin would have a field day with that in the recruiting trail.

I care. Many other State fans/grads care. I bet Louisville fans/grads care that they had the best record last year and were the number overall seed. But yeah, I do care more about winning the ACC tournament.

That game ain't happening tomorrow so point is gonna be moot.
BigLefty24
A rain out is our best possible scenario
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

wolfpack1437
BigLefty24 said:

A rain out is our best possible scenario
Or, we could just beat that ass and move on to doing the same against the CHeats
wilmwolf
I'm a person that would prefer to never play ECU in any sport, so I won't mind if the game gets washed. If not, I'm confident that we can beat them.
wolfpack1437
Does appear from the current forecast that there will be a rain free window between 7-10. Key will be the field conditions after rain all day
Pack31
wolfpack1437 said:

Does appear from the current forecast that there will be a rain free window between 7-10. Key will be the field conditions after rain all day

Yeah, I think they gonna need a canoe in the outfield tonight, if played. I'm guessing it's cancelled by noon today to save ecu the trouble of packing the bus and their gear. Hopefully can reschedule later in a mid week. Not sure this late in the season.
Pack31
wolfpack1437 said:

Yeah, I think they gonna need a canoe in the outfield tonight, if played. I'm guessing it's cancelled by noon today to save ecu the trouble of packing the bus and their gear. Hopefully can reschedule later in a mid week. Not sure this late in the season.
Civilized
BigLefty24 said:

If you live in the Greenville area and have to put up with ECU fans a lot, I can maybe understand this line of thinking. If not, who cares? Nobody outside of eastern NC reads anything into that result, they just see that we lost to a top-10 team.

I'd understand your point more if ECU were an average team, or worse (they're not, they're really good). Or if big ACC department budgets and facilities mattered nearly as much in baseball as they do in football and basketball (they don't).

Plus, it's just one game, in baseball. Baseball is a less controllable outcome than football and basketball since it's so dependent on pitching and has more randomness. There's a reason they play 162 games in the majors; it takes that many to separate the wheat from the chaff when even the best teams lose 40% or more of their games. It ain't like football or basketball where you should just have bigger, stronger, faster guys and be able to impose your will physically on less well-heeled teams.

Pocketflask
BigLefty24 said:

wolfpack1437
Pack31 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

More I look at the forecast, the more I think we play. Going to actually have the sun out late this afternoon and the rainless window is now from like 4-10
JCooke93
Let's do this
Pack31
wolfpack1437 said:

Pack31 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

More I look at the forecast, the more I think we play. Going to actually have the sun out late this afternoon and the rainless window is now from like 4-10

Maybe so! Hope so!!. I was thinking more along, how does the field dry out after 2 plus inches of rain?
wolfpack1437
Pack31 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Pack31 said:

wolfpack1437 said:

Yeah that's the biggest question. If the they bust the blowers out for a couple hours prior to first pitch they might be able to eliminate all the puddles. Will be interesting to see what happens--- if we cancel I think that's a good indicator that coach wants to focus on the CHeats and rest everybody bc it's definitely not an impossible task to get the field ready if the forecast holds

Maybe so! Hope so!!. I was thinking more along, how does the field dry out after 2 plus inches of rain?
Yeah, no idea. If they break out the blowers for a couple hours they could likely eliminate any standing water. If we cancel I bet it's bc we think it's best for us to rest everyone and focus on the CHeats
wolfpack1437
Aaaaand the forecast just changed again to rain all evening so who knows
Pack31
wolfpack1437 said:

Aaaaand the forecast just changed again to rain all evening so who knows

Yeah, I'm in Greensboro and it stopped here 3 hours, ago, but it's been a steady, light rain/ heavy mist since. I'm in the landscape business, so no mowing here today, just some pine needles. This drizzle/mist will not allow it to dry out much, plus temp of 60 or < , no wind or sun. Ugh.
CLTWolf
I'm in Charlotte and it's briefly stopped here but it's supposed to start back up all day into tonight around 8pm. I want to play them fools but not at the risk of injury before a huge series this weekend and the rest of the year. I'd rather keep the arms fresh too.
Wolfer79
Pack Guest Services tweet 1 hour ago

As of now there has been no change to tonight's baseball game. Gates will open at 4:30pm. Keep following us and also be sure to check https://t.co/8hX4Cj7yE9 for any updates.
wilmwolf
FWIW, UNC has cancelled their game for today.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.