Catch Me Up

2,941 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EthanBarry
PackGM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now that basketball is done, Masters is over, and we all shift gears to baseball... I was hoping someone in the know could catch some others of us up to date with a late-season breakdown of this year's team.

This is obviously a pretty vague question but some who have really just kept up with W's, L's and heard a bunch about Brown and Kinneman would like to know.

Anything would be much appreciated.
Wolfer79
Kinneman and Brown are mid-season All- American.

Pitterra hurt hamstring in early game, had surgery, back about 2 weeks now.

Brown and Piedmonte are good weekend starting pitchers, third starter is a work in progress, was true freshman Harrison, now Beinlein

Bullpen so far is good, Johnston, Cleeney, Swinney, Klyman, O'Donnell and Gauthier.

DH is work in progress, Debo has sophomore slump, Shepard walks or strikes out,Tatum the last 2 games is interesting to watch.

Freshman starting position players
Bailey, catcher
Jarrett, Vazquez at 2b or 3b
Cooper is redshirt sophomore that started a lot at 3b

Feeney hurt and out for season
BigLefty24
Need to stick Debo in there and let him work his way out of the slump. Gonna need his bat in the middle of the lineup when the money games start.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*
*Please respect my decision*
*Recruitment still open 110%*

EthanBarry
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

Need to stick Debo in there and let him work his way out of the slump. Gonna need his bat in the middle of the lineup when the money games start.
I think Tatum might take his spot. He brings speed, OBP and patience and can bunt. Not sure if he can hit for power yet but walks all the time. Debo is great at hitting but that's it. Doesn't hit for a ton of power and doesn't walk. I agree we may need him but Tatum may take his spot
PackFansXL
EthanBarry said:

BigLefty24 said:

I think Tatum might take his spot. He brings speed, OBP and patience and can bunt. Not sure if he can hit for power yet but walks all the time. Debo is great at hitting but that's it. Doesn't hit for a ton of power and doesn't walk. I agree we may need him but Tatum may take his spot
I've heard we are bringing our secret weapon DH, Piedmonte, along slowly.
EthanBarry
Staff
PackGM said:

Now that basketball is done, Masters is over, and we all shift gears to baseball... I was hoping someone in the know could catch some others of us up to date with a late-season breakdown of this year's team.

This is obviously a pretty vague question but some who have really just kept up with W's, L's and heard a bunch about Brown and Kinneman would like to know.

Anything would be much appreciated.
Bullpen is the strength of the team. Five very good pitchers back there plus some others who can get outs. Brown excellent, Piedmonte solid, still looking to figure out who our 3rd/4th starters are. Lineup is deep. Kinneman and Wilson could be first round picks, maybe Bailey in a couple years. Pitarra doesn't get out, Edwards tries to hit it a mile every time and succeeds sometimes (but walks a lot) McLain and Deatherage get on base and wreak havoc. Tough stretch coming up but already have quality series wins vs GT, at Louisville and Clemson
BigLefty24
EthanBarry said:

BigLefty24 said:

That's what DH's are for. Guys that are great at hitting. I've watched and coached against Debo for the past decade. Dude can flat out rake.

Let's not forget Debo led the team last year in hitting as a freshman. Tatum is hitting .200 this year. Stick Debo in there at DH and let him do what he does good.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

wolfpack1437
BigLefty24 said:

EthanBarry said:

BigLefty24 said:

That's what DH's are for. Guys that are great at hitting. I've watched and coached against Debo for the past decade. Dude can flat out rake.

Let's not forget Debo led the team last year in hitting as a freshman. Tatum is hitting .200 this year. Stick Debo in there at DH and let him do what he does good.
The big shifts have really hurt Debo this season.
BigLefty24
wolfpack1437 said:

BigLefty24 said:

EthanBarry said:

BigLefty24 said:

The big shifts have really hurt Debo this season.

Which is strange, because I think Debo's natural stroke is middle to left center.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

EthanBarry
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

EthanBarry said:

BigLefty24 said:

Debo is a stud but he's slumping and been so for a while. He has a lower OPS than everybody one the team who plays a reasonable amount except for Cooper and Jarrett. On a team with as much depth as this one, that can be enough to lose your spot. Tatum has a higher OPS because he literally walks in every third at bat, obviously he has a lot fewer at bats. Tatum makes stuff happen on the bases, which Debo doesn't. If Debo figures it out, obviously he's back in the lineup but if not Tatum should play
rwwalsh
I can think of worse things than having Debo as a late game Pinch Hitter. Until he starts consistently having good at bats I don't see him cracking the lineup.
Glasswolf
Until Debo starts hitting he needs to stay near the garden with his rake
Payton Wilson on what he thought of Carter Finley: Drunk Crazy Crowded

BigLefty24
Hard to start hitting when you're getting two AB's a series. In fact, the pressure to produce is even magnified which makes the situation even worse. There's a reason guys in the majors are kept in the lineup when they're struggling. There's a reason he led the team in hitting last year. I still contend that if we're going to have a special season, you've got to have Brad hitting in the lineup (and yes, I realize he needs to produce, but sporadic pinch hit appearances isn't the way to work your way out of a slump). You're not going to get far hoping Tatum can draw a walk every other at bat against teams with major league caliber pitching.
@BigLefty24

*100% committed*

EthanBarry
Staff
BigLefty24 said:

Hard to start hitting when you're getting two AB's a series. In fact, the pressure to produce is even magnified which makes the situation even worse. There's a reason guys in the majors are kept in the lineup when they're struggling. There's a reason he led the team in hitting last year. I still contend that if we're going to have a special season, you've got to have Brad hitting in the lineup (and yes, I realize he needs to produce, but sporadic pinch hit appearances isn't the way to work your way out of a slump). You're not going to get far hoping Tatum can draw a walk every other at bat against teams with major league caliber pitching.
Oh I completely agree that it's not going to happen with the number of at bats he's getting. But it's not like Tatum is getting tons of ABs either. When you're number 2 in the country, you've got to bring it every game because you've got a target on your back. Right now Tatum is bringing it every game and Debo isn't. I fully expect Debo to figure it out and heat back up
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.