Baseball recruiting

26,456 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Wolfer79
Struttingwolf96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a few questions & don't know if they have been posted on here. Does anyone have a list of our baseball commitments for next year? Also, the transfer from ecu, a pitcher(Ingles?) is he sitting out this year or was he a graduate transfer, hadn't heard anything else on him? Last, is the juco pitcher Jimenez & the freshman D. Brown still on the team, have not seen their names on any of the box scores? Thanks.
EthanBarry
Staff
Brown is still on the team. He pinch runs and played against BC. Not sure why he doesn't play more to be honest. He's got some talent. ECU transfer is sitting out. Jimenez is still on the gopack roster
Struttingwolf96
Ok thanks, didnt know. Yeah, I heard D.Brown was pretty talented & has a bright future. Just hope he doesn't transfer because he's not getting much pt now. He was once committed to GaTech I think. Wish Avent would have redshirted him this year though instead of wasting a year of eligibility.
EthanBarry
Staff
Struttingwolf96 said:

Ok thanks, didnt know. Yeah, I heard D.Brown was pretty talented & has a bright future. Just hope he doesn't transfer because he's not getting much pt now. He was once committed to GaTech I think. Wish Avent would have redshirted him this year though instead of wasting a year of eligibility.
Yeah he was committed to GT. He didn't redshirt because you don't redshirt scholarship players. Be interesting to see what he does because you'd figure he could get into the lineup with Pitarra out. It appears he's behind Jarrett and Vazquez on the depth chart already. Maybe he plays first next year if Edwards gets drafted?
Wolfer79
EthanBarry said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

Yeah he was committed to GT. He didn't redshirt because you don't redshirt scholarship players. Be interesting to see what he does because you'd figure he could get into the lineup with Pitarra out. It appears he's behind Jarrett and Vazquez on the depth chart already. Maybe he plays first next year if Edwards gets drafted?

Also all 3 outfield positions will be open in 2019,
EthanBarry
Staff
Correct. No idea if he can play outfield though. Probably worth a shot. Tatum will surely be out there
basementwolf
EthanBarry said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

What I have seen, his upside is huge, especially with the bat, so it is puzzling J.T gets all the PT.
Wolfer79
basementwolf said:

EthanBarry said:

Struttingwolf96 said:

What I have seen, his upside is huge, especially with the bat, so it is puzzling J.T gets all the PT.
in the first Around the Bases podcast Avent said there were 2 positions where 3 players were all trying to get playing time

1b:Edwards, Shepherd and Oakley

3b: Cooper, Brown, Vasquez

in the second podcast he said Jarrett was going to redshirt until Pittera got hurt

looking back at the preseason posts, people who attended fall scrimmages and spring practice posted Coopers' glove would get him time at 3b, the question was could he hit

looking at stats this Brown
Cooper has started every game, some were at 2b and is hitting .333 in 66 at-bats, 403 on base %
Vasquez has played in 14 games, 4 starts and is hitting .313 in 16 at bats, 2 strike outs, .333 base %
Brown has played in 12 games with 4 starts and is hitting .231 in 13 at bats, 7 strike outs .412 base %
Jarrett has played in 16 games, 13 starts and is hitting .364 in 33 at bats, 3 strike outs .417 base %

I will go back and look at box scores, but I think
Cooper has played 3b and 2b
Vasquez has played 3b, ss and 2b
Brown has played 3b, edit and 2b
Jarrett has played 2b

Struttingwolf96
Have another question. Someone posted on here that you can red shirt scholarship players, that is why D.Brown isn't redshirting. Thought we were redshirting some other players already. Is that the case or did I read it incorrectly, & if so why can't baseball players red shirt like most freshman do that play football?
EthanBarry
Staff
Struttingwolf96 said:

Have another question. Someone posted on here that you can red shirt scholarship players, that is why D.Brown isn't redshirting. Thought we were redshirting some other players already. Is that the case or did I read it incorrectly, & if so why can't baseball players red shirt like most freshman do that play football?
Well technically you can redshirt scholarship players (pitchers redshirt if they hurt, as Feeney is) but it wouldn't be a good use of money, considering you have such a limited amount.
KDHpack
How does the outfield look for next year? Excited about this years team but, always thinking ahead. Infield still looks good with with cooper, Wilson, Jarrett/Brown, Debo, Bailey(Love Edwards to be back but if he keeps hitting like this....) Tatum seems like a solid bet but, what about the current freshman or incoming? Hard to tell with the draft but, it's worrisome to replace McClain, Deatherage and Kinneman.
Struttingwolf96
Yeah, outfield will probably be a complete overhaul next year in losing McLain,Deatherage,& probably with the way he is playing, Kinneman to the draft. Currently we have Tatum & McArthur getting most of the backup playing time behind them guys. Also, Oakley has played sparingly in the outfield. I know we have another kid, last name Baker, I believe is his last name, redshirting. Look for Avent to probably move D.Brown to the outfield as well to get him in the lineup. He may also try Gulakowski & Conley out there with Bailey & Debo taking up most of the playing time behind the plate. I think we have one freshman outfielder committed named Cole coming in, but could move our freshman catcher commit coming next year, who also plays outfield named Tresh a try to.
rwwalsh
There's also Chlup from Czech Republic's team we've got coming over as an OF.
ScoobyWolf
Here is a list of 2018 recruits that I have been keeping up with. Most of the info came from Perfect Game and Twitter.

Jason Parker RHP
Baker Nelson RHP
John Creel RHP
Phillip Cole OF
Luca Tresh C
Logan Whitaker RHP
Holden Laws LHP
Walker Barlow LHP
Jake Zebron RHP
Blake Dockery RHP
Andrew TIllery RHP
August Haymaker SS

I'm sure there are more....this is just a starting point.
ScoobyWolf
PBR North Carolina @PrepBaseballNC 10h10 hours ago
More

No-No Alert... From Boxscore
Chris Villaman (2019 LHP, NC State commit) worked 7 innings, 0 Hits, 0 Runs, 15 Strikeouts.
#Congrats
rwwalsh
No way Villaman makes it to campus. That kid has real MLB talent.
Gost8
https://www.perfectgame.org/all_americans/Default.aspx?Year=2018&List=Atlantic

A few Wolfpackers named Preseason regional a-a
ScoobyWolf
US Elite Baseball @USAEliteBSB 11h11 hours ago
More

S/O to 2019 SS Jose Torres on his recent commitment to NC State. Shown here with Coach Ferber. Jose is one of the top MIF in the country and will play for Coach Ferber's 2019/National Team this summer.

Struttingwolf96
I was looking & we will lose 9-10 players next year. Maybe more with transfers & mlb draft. We have pitcher's Staley, Feeney, Jimenez, Cotter, Ingle, & outfielder Baker redshirting this year, right? This is a list of our 2018 & 2019 commitments that I could come up with. Looks like Avent & company have some pretty good talent headed to Raleigh. Let me know if I missed someone.

2018 2019
OF Cole-NC P Villaman-NC
C Tresh-FL IF Highfill-NC
P Laws-NC P/SS Willadsen-NC
SB Christopher-NC OF Michael-NC
P Whittaker-NC SS Neese-NC
P Barlow-GA TB Vega,Jr.-CA
P Hammer-NC OF Soles-NC
P Dockery-NC SB Koon-NC
SS Haymaker-FL P Walston-NC
P Zebron-MD FB Butcher-NC
P Tillery-GA P Cao-NC
OF Chlup-Czech SS/OF Giles-NC
P Nelson-NC P Pace-NC
Juco IF Rey-FL SS Torres-FL
Juco P Smith-NC Juco P Barger-IL
Juco P Creel-NC Juco P Parker-NC

P Ingle-NC
P Monroe-NC
P Pickell-NC
SS Porter-NC
SB Falsken-CA
Struttingwolf96
Sorry, when I posted this it bunched the 2018/2019 guys all together. The 2019 guys start with Villaman & goes down under him.
EthanBarry
Staff
Staley already redshirted so he'd need to apply for a sixth year if he doesn't pitch this year.
Struttingwolf96
Sorry, didn't know that. I know he's expected to be out with an injury this year. Has he been out another year before with a different injury already or was it just redshirting as a Freshman?
EthanBarry
Staff
Struttingwolf96 said:

Sorry, didn't know that. I know he's expected to be out with an injury this year. Has he been out another year before with a different injury already or was it just redshirting as a Freshman?
I hadn't heard he's expected to be out for the year although at this point I'm not expecting him back. Have you heard he's done for the year? I'm not sure when he redshirted to be honest. I thought it was his year at a juco but idk. He's listed as a redshirt junior that's the only way I know that
Struttingwolf96
I read on other boards he wasn't expected to pitch this year. Thought Avent decided his Freshman year to redshirt Staley because he wasn't ready to pitch in college yet, hadn't heard he had been hurt before. So I figured since he had a medical redshirt left, Staley was gonna take his medical redshirt this year & come back next year as a R-Jr.
EthanBarry
Staff
Struttingwolf96 said:

I read on other boards he wasn't expected to pitch this year. Thought Avent decided his Freshman year to redshirt Staley because he wasn't ready to pitch in college yet, hadn't heard he had been hurt before. So I figured since he had a medical redshirt left, Staley was gonna take his medical redshirt this year & come back next year as a R-Jr.
A redshirt is a redshirt. Doesn't matter the reason. If you end up missing two seasons to injury that's when you get the sixth year (Piedmonte). If he just didn't pitch one season then the sixth year might be iffy (Terry Henderson)
Struttingwolf96
Thats why I hope Staley will be able to get an extra year, because of Piedmonte's situation with his injury & how he got an extra year. With regards to Henderson though, wasn't his situation different because he had to sit out a year with transferring into State? Didn't the ncaa, as messed up as it's decision was, see his situation as a choice to transfer in, so that caused him to lose a year & not an injury, which was suffered while at State? Where if he would have been at State already & didn't transfer in would have probably been granted that extra year, like Ilian Evtimov was given years ago when he played & had two different injury plagued years?
EthanBarry
Staff
Struttingwolf96 said:

Thats why I hope Staley will be able to get an extra year, because of Piedmonte's situation with his injury & how he got an extra year. With regards to Henderson though, wasn't his situation different because he had to sit out a year with transferring into State? Didn't the ncaa, as messed up as it's decision was, see his situation as a choice to transfer in, so that caused him to lose a year & not an injury, which was suffered while at State? Where if he would have been at State already & didn't transfer in would have probably been granted that extra year, like Ilian Evtimov was given years ago when he played & had two different injury plagued years?
Yes that's what happened with Terry. When he goes for the sixth year it'll come down to why he sat out a year and I'm not sure what the answer is. Hopefully it doesn't matter though and he can pitch this year
jwpack
I have heard that Staley is close to returning this year from a source real close to the team.
Struttingwolf96
That is great news to hear. Even though the team has played great so far, we could really use Staley' s experience out of the bullpen.
EthanBarry
Staff
jwpack said:

I have heard that Staley is close to returning this year from a source real close to the team.
Love it. He was with the team last weekend but wasn't dressed. Not really sure what that means in terms of readiness but thought it was interesting
3rdGenPacker
Matt Willadsen, 2019 commit faced Tim Cao, another 2019 commit earlier this week and Willadsen threw the 2nd no-hitter in Holly Springs history. The first was by Carlos Rodon, who took notice....

Wolfer79
S/O to 2019 SS Jose Torres on his recent commitment to NC State. Shown here with Coach Ferber. Jose is one of the top MIF in the country and will play for Coach Ferber's 2019/National Team this summer. https://t.co/VFsZAC7p9Z
ScoobyWolf
Wolfer79 said:

S/O to 2019 SS Jose Torres on his recent commitment to NC State. Shown here with Coach Ferber. Jose is one of the top MIF in the country and will play for Coach Ferber's 2019/National Team this summer. https://t.co/VFsZAC7p9Z
I posted that a few days ago
metcalfmafia
Where does our recruiting stack up with the rest of the ACC?
Wolfer79
ScoobyWolf said:

Wolfer79 said:

I posted that a few days ago

Sorry, missed it, my mistake
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.