Story Poster
NC State Baseball

Wolfpack Falls Short in ACC Title Game

May 29, 2022

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — After winning three games in a row to advance to the 2022 ACC Championship Game, 10th-seeded NC State (36-21) lost its second straight conference title game as eight-seed North Carolina (38-19) earned the win Sunday afternoon at Truist Field, 9-5.

Logan Whitaker (2-4, 4.73 ERA) earned the loss after yielding seven runs, six earned, over 1-1/3 innings. Matt Willadsen relieved Whitaker but left the game after giving up the Tar Heels’ final two runs in 1-2/3 innings. Chris Villaman continued his dominance in the ACC Tournament with eight strikeouts over five innings, retiring all 15 batters he faced.

Batting as the road team, the Wolfpack jumped ahead early with one run in the top of the first inning. Devonte Brown led off with a double down the right-field line before coming home on an RBI single by Josh Hood. However, Vance Honeycutt would shift the tide in the bottom half of the inning with a towering two-run homer to left field, his 20th of the season.

The Carolina offense broke the game open in the bottom of the second inning with five runs. Angel Zarate got the scoring started with a two-run single. Two batters later, Danny Serretti drove a run home with a double down the right-field line. Honeycutt then welcomed Willadsen into the game by homering on the first pitch he saw, a three-run blast to left. The Heels would tack on another run in the bottom of the fourth with Mac Horvath crossing the plate on a wild pitch.

J.T. Jarrett plated two more runs for the NC State offense in the top of the sixth inning as LuJames Groover, III and Noah Soles raced home on a double down the left-field line. Three innings later, Brown and Groover tacked on the final runs of the game with Brown lining a double to center field to bring Chase Nixon home and Groover grounding a single up the middle to plate Brown.

The Wolfpack now awaits its NCAA Tournament fate. Coming into the weekend as a bubble team, it appears NC State will be guaranteed an at-large qualifier. The selection show will air at noon on Monday on ESPN2.

Wolfpack Falls Short in ACC Title Game

5,512 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bell Tower Grey
Brigand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Frustrated but not surprised.
pbr1973
Sitting in the lobby of Carolina's team hotel. Frustrating loss. So hard to get to the championship game. You would like to think an Avent led team would break through. Talented group. If we can make some slight pitching upgrades in the off-season we have a great team to build on over the next couple of years. And the season is not over. Let's make a run in the NCAAs!
ecbwolf
For those posting on Twitter that we are cursed or fire Avent…… please stop!
pbr1973
I agree! I wouldn't want any other coach.
waxhaw
I'magine this team with Sam on the mound
Pakbackr
I'm much more disappointed over the loss to Duke in last year's title game! Sorry, but I still haven't recovered from that one.
cmsteven
Out-dueled on the mound
Bagman
0-8
Stamos
Need Marv Levy to comment please Hendu.
nakinawolf
Bagman said:

0-8

You can type that bs on every thread after every loss and it ain't gone change a thing! Look, I would like to see State's baseball team when a championship. I also think Avent is a great coach and representative of NCSU. Avent will be the coach at NC State until HE decides to retire. That is how it should be. He has earned it. So you keep beating that drum bro, ain't gone change a thing other than YOUR stress level.
WarrenPeace
It is a remarkable stat that I'm not sure any other coach anywhere could survive. That being said, I'd still keep him.
Bagman
nakinawolf said:

Bagman said:

0-8

You can type that bs on every thread after every loss and it ain't gone change a thing! Look, I would like to see State's baseball team when a championship. I also think Avent is a great coach and representative of NCSU. Avent will be the coach at NC State until HE decides to retire. That is how it should be. He has earned it. So you keep beating that drum bro, ain't gone change a thing other than YOUR stress level.

It's not BS in fact it's one of the more remarkable stats in nc state sports history!
Bagman
Great reps of NC State beat UNC in meaningful games on occasion. Like one time would do it. Nice guy? I have no idea and don't care. He's not a good coach. A bad coach would have won at least one ACC championship at State in the last 30 years.
kmb717
Bagman said:

Great reps of NC State beat UNC in meaningful games on occasion. Like one time would do it. Nice guy? I have no idea and don't care. He's not a good coach. A bad coach would have won at least one ACC championship at State in the last 30 years.

He beat UNC in Omaha in 2013. Now go away. Try to watch the team for more than two weeks next year.
Bell Tower Grey
Cheating dean smith did.
BobbyCox95
Bagman said:

One of the worst posts I've seen in a long time. A bad coach doesn't make 8 ACC championship games, much less 2 trips to Omaha and 5 Super Regionals. He is a very good coach who has been on the cusp many times and just needs to break thru. With what we've given him to work with financially and the facilities over the years, he constantly overachieves. I get you're frustrated but saying he's a bad coach is just ignorant.
BobbyCox95
kmb717 said:

Bagman said:

He beat UNC in Omaha in 2013. Now go away. Try to watch the team for more than two weeks next year.

We are 11 months removed from what possibly could have been a national championship, turned over almost the entire starting line up, lost Sam Highfill BUT still made it to the ACC championship game and we still have fans saying he's a bad coach. This is absolutely unreal. Sad but not surprising.
CLTWolf
BobbyCox95 said:

kmb717 said:

Bagman said:

We are 11 months removed from what possibly could have been a national championship, turned over almost the entire starting line up, lost Sam Highfill BUT still made it to the ACC championship game and we still have fans saying he's a bad coach. This is absolutely unreal. Sad but not surprising.

It's insane. Absolutely insane.

Good post, full of perspective.
*Wolfpack Baseball - 2021 *NCAA COLLEGE WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!
*Congrats to the 10 win 2021 Wolfpack football team!
wilmwolf
Pay twenty bucks a month to post on an NC State message board and be downright giddy when we lose. I'll never understand it.
Just a guy on the sunshine squad.
WarrenPeace
Bell Tower Grey said:

Cheating dean smith did.

Smith lost 8 ACC championship games before he won one? I did not know that. Before my time.
Bell Tower Grey
I was looking at cumlitave overall championship losses; not consecutive. Sorry I was not clear.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.